MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Can someone explain this picture to me?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Can someone explain this picture to me?

Postby Cornbread » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:56 pm

and please don't use the leftist BS meaningless slogans like "the rich" or "corporations" or "racists!" or "hate women" or the next bumpersticker ya'll will pull out of your trunk.

Look at this map.
Whatcha think?

Interesting to me that Iowa county went for the milwaukee democrat. It'd be interesting to see the demographics of Iowa county. I like the location of that as it's on the non-east side of madison's side of the county and outside of the taxing jurisdiction of dane county.

Looks like menominee county was solid for a democrat. :shock:
Isn't almost that whole county an indian reservation?

Portage county. Seems so unlike a non dane/milwaukee county place...and located in central WI. What's there? Is that where the large healthcare clinics are?

?
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Can someone explain this picture to me?

Postby Cornbread » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:31 am

I'd say the three counties around dane are commuter counties to madison, with rock also having a sprinkling in of union thuggism to tip it for the dems.

Superior area is interesting.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:06 am

Cornbread wrote:Only dane and milwaukee counties carried the MIA mayor barrett.
?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GordonFreeman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:21 am

It tells me, the further you are from good education, the dumber you are.
GordonFreeman

Postby Igor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:34 am

GordonFreeman wrote:It tells me, the further you are from good education, the dumber you are.

I don't know - there are some plenty of stupid people in Madison too.

- The Superior area has always leaned Democratic.

- Stevens Point / Portage county has always leaned Democratic, although by a small margin this time.

- Menominee County, while very small population-wise, is one of the most Democratic counties in the state.

- Western Wisconsin has typically had a number of toss up counties - it looks like LaCrosse was the only one that went blue this time.

- Iowa County was a very red county for years. I suspect that the number of people that commute from there to Madison has increased over the years, and made it more blue.

- On the opposite side, I always thought that Brown County used to be more blue, but it does not seem that way lately.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:47 am

It tells me that, just like the FIBs every weekend, I'll be breezing past the worthless parts of the state on my way to the far north country.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:49 am

GordonFreeman wrote:It tells me, the further you are from good education, the dumber you are.

"What's going to be funny is watching doucheboy get voted out tomorrow."
Gordon Freeman June 4
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:53 am

wack wack wrote:It tells me that, just like the FIBs every weekend, I'll be breezing past the worthless parts of the state on my way to the far north country.

You, and a LOT of other people too. I'm leaving the state, of course, but I've heard from a lot of local friends, who regularly go up to the North Woods in the summer, and even for some skiing in the winter too. It's common to stop on the way up for a fish fry and a beer before going the last stretch, and I'm sure those restaurants are going to see a significant drop in tourist visits for a while.

In fact, they'll likely just buy the weekend's supply of beer locally rather than subsidize some North Woods Walker voters.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:10 am

Rich Schultz wrote:

"What's going to be funny is watching doucheboy get voted out tomorrow."
Gordon Freeman June 4

Yes, shame on Gordon for underestimating the stupidity of the people in this state.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 am

Sure, CB, I'll explain it to you. You see, what you posted is a map, and this one in particular is a map of Wisconsin. Each of the small areas on this map are called counties. You'll notice, that each of these counties is one of two different colors, red or blue. Now, you're probably wondering why each of these counties is a different color, and in particular, why red or blue? Well, CB, recently Wisconsin had an election and the different color of those counties signify which of the two major candidates received the most votes in that county. Now, here's where you'll want to pay special attention. You'll notice a smaller box in the top right portion of the map. This is called the key. What the key does is tell the map's viewer what the different shapes, lines, or in this case, colors, on the map represent. You'll notice that one of the candidate is in a red box, and the other has a blue box near his name. Now, and this is the crucial part, the candidate in the red box received the majority of the votes in the counties colored red. And, and this might not be obvious, but the candidate with the blue box near his name received the majority of votes in the counties colored blue. Right now, you're probably asking yourself, "how did the red counties know to vote for the red candidate?" That's what's interesting about this map. The counties aren't actually red or blue in real life. I'll give you a moment to let that sink in. Those colors were filled in after the election.

I hope my explanation has helped you. If not, just let me know, and I'll be happy to slow it down for you.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:33 am

Another thing the map tells me: somebody in a red county needs to explain to me why I should continue to give a damn about family farms and the struggles they face.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:39 am

wack wack wrote:Another thing the map tells me: somebody in a red county needs to explain to me why I should continue to give a damn about family farms and the struggles they face.

You think the mega farms that are replacing them are more likely to lean progressive?

Do you feel the same way towards private sector unions, or did you miss the Fox Valley when you looked at the map?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
wack wack wrote:Another thing the map tells me: somebody in a red county needs to explain to me why I should continue to give a damn about family farms and the struggles they face.

You think the mega farms that are replacing them are more likely to lean progressive?

Do you feel the same way towards private sector unions, or did you miss the Fox Valley when you looked at the map?

The factory farms couldn't lean any less progressive.

I've said it here before, I'll say it again: the private union member who voted against public unions is the most despicable of all.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 am

Portage County has UW Stevens Point and La Crosse county has UW La Crosse. In other recent elections, a few of the other UW system cities have also voted Democratic.

Racine County, which appears to have voted Van Wangaard out, is the home of UW-Parkside. UW-Superior is in Douglas county, I think (the west end of the three up-north counties that nearly always go Democratic due in large part to a big Finnish-Scandinavian heritage which is culturally liberal just as those countries in Europe are today).

UWs Oshkosh, Stout, Platteville, and Whitewater are in more conservative areas but in years of Democratic dominance they too have budged on occasion. Maybe not Whitewater.

The university system clearly has an influence on voting patterns in the state, which is probably why making it harder for students to vote was a priority for Walker.

If you want to avoid having to hang around Democrats, it'd probably help to get as far from centers of higher education as you possibly can. Draw whatever conclusions you like from that.

Menominee County is the old Menominee Indian Reservation.
Last edited by snoqueen on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:24 am

Wisconsin bleeds Badger red!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government