MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

madison.com limits viewing

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

madison.com limits viewing

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:12 pm

When trying to read an article on madison.com I got a screen saying I have exceeded the five free views allowed within a 30 day period, but I could register with them to see more. Not exactly a paywall, but that is probably coming up next. I haven't decided whether or not to jump through their hoops.

On another note, I noticed the Sunday State Journal now costs $2.50 (at least through their newstand box). It was still only two bucks at a retail store, but that might be because the store hadn't yet updated the price on their computer system.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: madison.com limits viewing

Postby Madsci » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:51 pm

I encountered their limit this morning. It wasn't too hard to bypass since my computer is set-up to eliminate cookies and history when I quit my internet application. Just 3 more clicks for me.
I use an Mac, don't know if it's the same for a PC.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Putting up impediments for viewership certainly isn't going to help them sell ads.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:19 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Putting up impediments for viewership certainly isn't going to help them sell ads.

Could bring down bandwidth usage though.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Putting up impediments for viewership certainly isn't going to help them sell ads.

My first thought when I got the block was, "where else can I get this news?" Signing up to scale the wall wasn't even an option in my mind.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:26 pm

I remember the NYT doing something like this years ago... and it being a disaster.

Not sure why they think it will work now.

Just sheer desperation?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Both the NYT and jsoline limit viewers to 30 articles a month, otherwise pay up.

I ration both sites because of that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:51 pm

I generally read Madison.com for the headlines to see if anything interesting is going on local. Then I skim the article cause the writing generally sucks. If they put up a firewall or make me pay I'm out. I'll go to one of the news station websites to get what I need.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I'll go to one of the news station websites to get what I need.

Same here. Channel3000.com seems to cover local news about as well as our local papers' website. The Cap Times side does offer a counterpoint to the WSJ's dominance, but the CT is basically a bunch of blogs written by journalists.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:41 pm

Maybe madison.com is doing you a favor Henry.
cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Madsci wrote:I encountered their limit this morning. It wasn't too hard to bypass since my computer is set-up to eliminate cookies and history when I quit my internet application. Just 3 more clicks for me.
I use an Mac, don't know if it's the same for a PC.

It's the same on my Firefox, though I'm on Linux here. In Firefox, go Edit/Preferences/Privacy and then pick your preferred option under History. I believe this option is available across platforms.

The Washington Post asks people to sign in after viewing only a few articles, but they swear they aren't moving to a pay system. I believe they've gained a lot of readers from the NYT by this decision. They definitely gained me.

I don't know the WSJ's intentions. I like the Cap Times blog format, by the way. Some of the writers do good in-depth research on their stories, and the op-ed pieces are generally thoughtful.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Buh Bye.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Yeah... who needs journalism? Let's just let volunteer bloggers sort it out.

Does anyone see a parallel between some of the recent tactics by state government and the lack of a strong press? The types of long-term investigations that are necessary to root out corruption are no longer viable in many shrinking newsrooms. They've had to sacrifice that stuff for what pays the bills today. It's hard to make time for combing through databases for weeks on end hoping to build a story when you don't have enough people to cover school board meetings.

I'm not a fan of corporate media (which is what the WSJ is), but I'm a fan of a lot of the fine journalists working at corporations. And they don't have the resources they need and once had, mainly because readers don't feel they need to support journalism financially.

The movement in our industry is towards paywalls and the first step is this kind of account setup. The other model that's getting attention is the non-profit model that seeks donations similar to public broadcasting, but that's not really working in too many places.

And when you stop supporting real reporting, then the MSNBCs and Macivers and Foxes of the world start crowding them out.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Does anyone see a parallel between some of the recent tactics by state government and the lack of a strong press? The types of long-term investigations that are necessary to root out corruption are no longer viable in many shrinking newsrooms. They've had to sacrifice that stuff for what pays the bills today. It's hard to make time for combing through databases for weeks on end hoping to build a story when you don't have enough people to cover school board meetings.

Of course you are so right, and the loss of a strong corps of investigative journalists is a very serious matter.

However, there's a counterpart: people lack the patience to read. Most people want to watch news, not read it. So print journalism is facing that obstacle -- an inattentive, impatient public -- along with all its economic ones.

The small portion of those who read divides into those who think about what they read and try to weigh it against reality and place it in a context, and those who don't or can't. I'm not presupposing any particular conclusions people have to draw, but without thoughtfulness and historical and social awareness in which to fit what is written, we don't really have much of a public dialogue any more.

As we can see not only on this forum, but all over this state.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All