MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby wack wack » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:21 am

Dangerousman wrote:
snoqueen wrote: I personally have never thought standing one's ground was a behavior I valued, even in a verbal altercation. To me it just looks like stubbornness, which I see as negative.

You're a dream come true: to every bully, thug, criminal, invading army, loudmouth, Conquistador, crime syndicate, sociopath, evangelical religious nut, slave owner, abusive domestic partner and telemarketing sales person. I'd rather be their nightmare.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws." -- FWN

Says every bully, thug, criminal...
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:23 am

jonnygothispen wrote: We've watched aggressive bullies consistently blow innocent people away while there are far fewer instances of people using guns to deter crime. Your theories about guns often depend on statements that are not truthful.

Clearly you have things reversed on so many levels. Given your normal level of confusion, no surprise.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 am

Interesting how people see what they want to see not only in a news article, but also in their view of history.

Picking out the exceptional and trying to make it seem like the normal is the fastest way to an extremist position, not to mention a well-known way of whipping up public sentiment where before there wasn't much.

Also, everyone who decides not to be a bully is not automatically a weakling, and stubbornness is not a virtue, it's more often a sign of unclear and inflexible thinking.

And furthermore, when you (D'man) can't come up with good ideas in a discussion I've noticed you often resort to -- how should I word this? -- language intended to give the people you're addressing the impression you see them as being uniquely vulnerable to personal violence. It's getting repetitive, and it's a big tell: D'man's getting ticked off.

Let's go back to the news story, which as you noted contained enough complexity to be worth following.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:59 am

snoqueen wrote:
And furthermore, when you (D'man) can't come up with good ideas in a discussion I've noticed you often resort to -- how should I word this? -- language intended to give the people you're addressing the impression you see them as being uniquely vulnerable to personal violence. It's getting repetitive, and it's a big tell: D'man's getting ticked off.

You clearly said that standing one's ground is never good in your view. Let's discuss how "good of an idea" that is, Sno. Or will you simply ignore your own embarrassing statement?

My level of being ticked off on here has never gone above the mild annoyance created by a fly buzzing in front of my face.

D'man is far from ticked off and I'm not sure anyone here has what it would take to make it so. Go ahead and try, if that's your intention, but you'll be greatly disappointed by the results I assure you.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:03 am

Dangerousman wrote:
snoqueen wrote:...you often resort to -- how should I word this? -- language intended to give the people you're addressing the impression you see them as being uniquely vulnerable to personal violence.

Go ahead and try, if that's your intention, but you'll be greatly disappointed by the results I assure you.

Very prescient, sno.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:45 pm

jman111 wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
snoqueen wrote:...you often resort to -- how should I word this? -- language intended to give the people you're addressing the impression you see them as being uniquely vulnerable to personal violence.

Go ahead and try, if that's your intention, but you'll be greatly disappointed by the results I assure you.

Very prescient, sno.

Isn't Sno the delicate little flower! Always seeing anger and something threatening in everything she sees! It reminds me of my little dog who can't put things into context and regards every noise or raised voice as something angry or threatening. I'd hate to have seen Sno try to go through basic training. She'd probably have thought those drill sergeants were really the most angry people on earth.

While it is true that few things piss me off more than stupid things said or done by stupid people, and while it is true there's no shortage of stupid people here; I've developed quite a high tolerance level for it. I've had plenty of experience.

No, I have no reason to think Sno or anyone else here is "uniquely vulnerable to personal violence." It's probably the same general level of vulnerability that the majority of people have in common.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Always seeing anger and something threatening in everything she sees!

Go to the mirror, boy. You are projecting again.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:04 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Always seeing anger and something threatening in everything she sees!

Go to the mirror, boy. You are projecting again.

I only see realistic threats, boy. Unlike you, boy.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Dangerousman wrote:seeing anger and something threatening in everything she sees! It reminds me of my little dog who can't put things into context and regards every noise or raised voice as something angry or threatening.

As someone who has volunteered in an animal shelter, the above is usually indicative of an abusive owner.

Dogs aren't born that way.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:seeing anger and something threatening in everything she sees! It reminds me of my little dog who can't put things into context and regards every noise or raised voice as something angry or threatening.

As someone who has volunteered in an animal shelter, the above is usually indicative of an abusive owner.

Dogs aren't born that way.

Sounds like a paranoid dog. Wonder where it learned to be so paranoid.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Right. I have the most spoiled dog in the world.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Henry, I've been looking for the complete video from this case you found. Haven't found it yet, but here's a link to a portion of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVV1_6HYtnI

It's an interesting case, and of course there's far more evidence than just the tape, let alone, the few minutes of it that I found. Based on the video I'd say Rodriguez did some absolutely stupid things, but whether he broke any laws, it's not so clear from what's on the video. Yes, he could have backed down. Probably should have backed down, out of prudence, if nothing else. The people he shot did taunt him and threaten him. Both sides did stupid things, that's for sure.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:10 pm

You clearly said that standing one's ground is never good in your view.

Tell me what quote you're thinking of, and I'll decide whether it stands or not. I don't regard everything I write as immutable or even well stated, but I do think the record shows states that have recently adopted stand your ground legislation have seen people use that legislation as a defense who previously would not have gotten off, including people I imagine you would regard as "bad guys with guns." I linked earlier to a discussion of the effect of the stand your ground law in Florida, though I'm not going to dig back and find the article again.

I realize you put a lot of emphasis on complexity, and I've got no problem with that. In fact, I think following the rule "never say never" is in most instances wise, and I try to write with that same principle in mind. So if I said using the stand your ground law was always stupid, or never smart, I'd be surprised. Still, quote me and show me where I violated that rule and we can go on from there.

I'll go look at the video (I wanted to see it, too) a little later -- thanks for the link.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:25 pm

The punishment for taunting should never involve the death penalty, especially if the one taunted is a trespasser. His attorney basically said he was unwise, but hopes to get him off because of the lenient (also unwise) Texas stand your ground/castle law.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:55 pm

snoqueen wrote:[ In fact, I think following the rule "never say never" is in most instances wise, and I try to write with that same principle in mind. So if I said using the stand your ground law was always stupid, or never smart, I'd be surprised. Still, quote me and show me where I violated that rule and we can go on from there.

I'll go look at the video (I wanted to see it, too) a little later -- thanks for the link.

Your exact words were "I personally have never thought standing one's ground was a behavior I valued, even in a verbal altercation. To me it just looks like stubbornness, which I see as negative."

Not speaking on your behalf, but based on your subsequent comments I think you'd probably amend your earlier one to say "there are times to stand your ground and times not to stand it." If so, I won't argue about that. We'd agree on the principle, if not every application of it. Fair enough?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines