MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Arguing about movies

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Arguing about movies

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Do you ever argue about movies? I don't mean friendly debate. I mean red-faced, epic clashing. I recall something Pauline Kael wrote: "A friend of mine broke up with his woman friend after they went to see 'Field of Dreams': she liked it."

My college girlfriend and I fought about all kinds of things, including movies. I'll never forget what happened after we saw "Scent of a Woman." Chris O'Donnell plays, if I recall correctly, a scholarship kid at a prep school. His nemeses are the snotty rich kids, including one played by Philip Seymour Hoffman. The rich kids perpetrate some infraction of laws or mores. O'Donnell could turn them in, but he doesn't. He wants them to accept him, so he declines to snitch. After the film, my girlfriend and I discussed the character's choice. I said it was understandable. She thought that meant I was severely ethically challenged. We went back and forth on this all night and almost broke up. We probably should have.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Arguing about movies

Postby Dangerousman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Oh hell yeah. I've maintained that Beauty and the Beast would have been a better story if the prince remained a beast at the end. M'lady disagrees.

Field of Dreams. I've tried a couple of times. Never stayed awake during the entire movie. Costner is sleep-inducing in almost everything except Dance with Wolves and I liked that movie mostly for the scenery of the filming locations.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:30 am

I tortured and killed my own brother just for recommending "Sideways" to me.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:02 am

First date with my husband: went to see Malcom X at the Orph. Sat at Nick's afterward and argued about the misogyny in the movie. Went back to my house, argued some more, and he finally got so pissed off he left. I told a coworker about it the next day, and she said "You're going to marry that guy." And 18 years ago yesterday, I did.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:31 am

My second wife told me she broke up with boyfriend x because of an argument over "Blade Runner." I left her shortly after that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:06 am

rabble wrote:My second wife told me she broke up with boyfriend x because of an argument over "Blade Runner." I left her shortly after that.

Was it because the movie had just recently been released?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:25 am

jman111 wrote:
rabble wrote:My second wife told me she broke up with boyfriend x because of an argument over "Blade Runner." I left her shortly after that.

Was it because the movie had just recently been released?

No.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:53 am

It wasn't an argument as much as stunned disbelief on my end, but it did happen on a date so I'll share it.

It's 1999 and we'd just gotten back into my car after having seen the last movie that M. Night Schmalalahdhdetc's made that anyone liked: "The Sixth Sense". It'd been a quiet walk out of the theater after the movie.

As I start the car and put it into gear, my date simply blurts out "I don't get it." And she didn't. The poor girl simply didn't grasp the great reveal of the movie. The entire underlying premise had eluded her. She'd been silently spinning her wheels mentally from the moment that the credits had rolled.

The ensuing discussion where I gently tried to let her make the connection on her own was a complete loss. She was, in fact, dumb as a post.

We didn't go out again.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:47 pm

pjbogart wrote:I tortured and killed my own brother just for recommending "Sideways" to me.
Is that you like Grocery Store Merlot? Was it the adjectives?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies