MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Obama too busy to help us

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Obama too busy to help us

Postby Shorty » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Obama says he was too busy to help us. Well, we've been protesting over a year now. And the recall effort took about 6 mos. Surely, he could have found some time during these periods to come march with the protestors.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obam ... 40389.html

"President Barack Obama explained in a radio interview Monday why he didn't do more to help Wisconsin Democrats in their battle to recall Republican Governor Scott Walker: He was too busy. "The truth of the matter is that, as president of the United States, I've got a lot of responsibilities," he told WBAY of Green Bay, Wisconsin...Obama said he was "supportive" of Walker's Democratic challenger, Tom Barrett, whom Walker thumped in last week's vote. "Obviously, I would have loved to see a different result," Obama told WBAY."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:53 pm

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby Donald » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Yeah, lame. Obama probably should not have come here, or gotten involved in the recall, but he could have been more supportive with a few words of encouragement for policies that support good paying middle class jobs. Why not send Biden? This was an issue he could really have sunk his teeth into.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:53 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:03 pm

I think he was in Minnesota the weekend before the election, for pete sakes. How hard would it have been to go shake hands at some restaurant or business across the river?

I'd rather see Biden anyway -- I like the guy.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11664
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby gargantua » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:16 pm

snoqueen wrote:I'd rather see Biden anyway -- I like the guy.


+1.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4207
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 pm

As Joan Rivers would say, "Oh grow up!"

By what logic do you see it to be a good thing for the leader of your party, locked in a tight and pivitol election, to be tied to an embarassing political fiasco in a swing state?

Do you think those Walker Democrats, the union houseolds who voted for Walker but supported Obama in 2008 and who bitterly opposed the recall, are going to be impressed by Obama interjecting himself into the argument?

I get the emotional response to being abandoned in such a desperate struggle. The recall was a noble cause that didn't work out. I'm glad the damage wasn't made worse by OBama being tarnished.
Last edited by Huckleby on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6818
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 pm

gargantua wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I'd rather see Biden anyway -- I like the guy.


+1.

Who was it who said, "I'm not a member of any organized political party - I'm a Democrat."

While the barbarians are at the gate, the Democrats are cutting each others throats for crimes of political impurity.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6818
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby Cornbread » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:22 pm

The avowed socialist obama was going around raising cash, on the taxpayers dime of course, so he was too busy. Man, that sounds like quite the good gig, to be a socialist at the top of the serf heap.

snoqueen wrote:How hard would it have been to go shake hands at some restaurant or business across the river?

Not enough cash in it for barack.

I'd rather see Biden anyway -- I like the guy.


Ask him about his favorite working class restaurant:

Towards the end of last night's Joe Biden/Sarah Palin debate, Joe Biden said this: "All you have to do is to go down Union Street with me in Wilmington and go to Katie's restaurant..."


Been closed for two decades before he tried conning people into believing he's a blue collar, every day working guy.

Come to think of it, has he ever had a job? Really, I don't think so, but then again, neither has his boss..... :D
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Various places

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby lukpac » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Huckleby wrote:Who was it who said, "I'm not a member of any organized political party - I'm a Democrat."


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Roger ... one-liners
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby Detritus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:28 pm

I see: when we were in the midst of the recall, the national Democratic party didn't bother putting money into the effort. But now that Walker won, they're using that fact to raise money for themselves.
“The Wisconsin results should serve as a wake-up call for Democrats: On-the-ground organizing is critically important, but it must be coupled with an aggressive air campaign,” Israel said. “I’ve long said that Republicans didn’t beat Democrats in 2010, Karl Rove and the Koch brothers did after the Citizens United decision. Democratic allies and donors should not allow that to happen again this cycle.”

Read the rest of it here, if you can stomach it.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2455
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby Madcity Expat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Huckleby wrote:As Joan Rivers would say, "Oh grow up!"

By what logic do you see it to be a good thing for the leader of your party, locked in a tight and pivitol election, to be tied to an embarassing political fiasco in a swing state?

Do you think those Walker Democrats, the union houseolds who voted for Walker but supported Obama in 2008 and who bitterly opposed the recall, are going to be impressed by Obama interjecting himself into the argument?

I get the emotional response to being abandoned in such a desperate struggle. The recall was a noble cause that didn't work out. I'm glad the damage wasn't made worse by OBama being tarnished.

+1

Huckleby wrote:Who was it who said, "I'm not a member of any organized political party - I'm a Democrat."

Will Rodgers

Detritus wrote:I see: when we were in the midst of the recall, the national Democratic party didn't bother putting money into the effort. But now that Walker won, they're using that fact to raise money for themselves.

"Laws [or politics] are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made." Otto von Bismarck
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: mill-e-wah-que..."the good land"

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby Meade » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:17 pm

snoqueen wrote:I'd rather see Biden anyway -- I like the guy.

Maybe Obama should resign now, let Biden take over and be the candidate in Nov., and then Obama can again sometime in the future when voters' memories have faded.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby Cornbread » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:56 pm

lukpac wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Who was it who said, "I'm not a member of any organized political party - I'm a Democrat."

Will_Rogers


Will Rogers is often quoted, and for good reason.

However, being born in 1879, his heyday was a little less than one hundred years ago, 1920s/30s. Heck, back then, working people thought the progressive USSR was the way to go, something to aspire to (which democrat FDR put the heavy handed kabosh on).

Rogers was the cowboy type, so a lot of his quotes deal with horseback riding. Yet another reason the modern, leftist ran democrat party would shun him. They'd probably call him a "redneck" and scorn him as "uneducated".
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Various places

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby Detritus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Madcity Expat wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Who was it who said, "I'm not a member of any organized political party - I'm a Democrat."

Will Rodgers

Detritus wrote:I see: when we were in the midst of the recall, the national Democratic party didn't bother putting money into the effort. But now that Walker won, they're using that fact to raise money for themselves.

"Laws [or politics] are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made." Otto von Bismarck

First of all, it's Will Rogers, no d. Second, Bismarck never said that. The earliest version is attributed to an American poet, John Godfrey Saxe, who also gave us the parable of the blind men and the elephant. His 1869 original reads "Laws, like sausages, cease to inspire respect in proportion as we know how they are made." What exactly he meant by that I don't know, but it could easily have described the disenchantment people felt with the outcome of Reconstruction as anything else.

Third, what is your point? I could speculate on what that particular platitude is doing in the conversation, but I'd rather not.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2455
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby Madcity Expat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Detritus wrote:First of all, it's Will Rogers, no d.

Ok

Detritus wrote:Second, Bismarck never said that.

I didn't know that, but thanks. That's what I get for accepting popular apocrypha uncritically.

Detritus wrote:Third, what is your point? I could speculate on what that particular platitude is doing in the conversation, but I'd rather not.

True, I let it hang there in lieu of a real explanation. So I suppose it qualifies as a platitude. My point is that in the perennial (and usually futile) debate between political idealists and pragmatists (broadly defined) I'm inclined towards the pragmatists - meaning that I think Obama's decision to avoid the Wisconsin drama was definitely prudent and possibly wise. Having Clinton come as a surrogate was enough. I agree that the DNC might have coughed up some money, but it was best for Obama to stay clear of the local landmines.

Moreover, politics in action is an unsightly and unsavory business. It just is. And I have no objection whatsoever for the Obama campaign and allies to use the recall debacle to their political advantage while having had earlier kept it at arms length for tactical reasons.

That was my point.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: mill-e-wah-que..."the good land"

Re: Obama too busy to help us

Postby Detritus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Madcity Expat wrote:Moreover, politics in action is an unsightly and unsavory business. It just is. And I have no objection whatsoever for the Obama campaign and allies to use the recall debacle to their political advantage while having had earlier kept it at arms length for tactical reasons.

That was my point.

OK, so is it "idealistic" to expect the head of the national party not to screw over the base in a state he won four years ago? If so, then it's "realistic" to expect him to lose that state this time around, right?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2455
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

cron
Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar