MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed May 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:Don't worry about it. Offering them nothing but an occasional scolding, the one group that continues to pledge loyalty to his sorry ass will be there for him again this election.

Fuckin'-a better be ...

Oh and if you're unwilling to acknowledge Obama has done anything positive, you're a bigger part of the problem than those who pledge unqualified loyalty.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu May 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Here is another article written by a conservative, a former Reagan staffer, who feels that the extremes to which the Right Wing Noise Machine operates are detrimental to the Republican Party and the country. I think it is well written, and it is obvious the guy speaks as someone with real experience, not as a paid mouthpiece with an agenda. His comments on mass hysteria are especially on point.

Of course, the current Teapublican Party has no room for some "thinker" like this. Not when the president is a Muslim who will take all your guns away.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu May 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Oh and if you're unwilling to acknowledge Obama has done anything positive, you're a bigger part of the problem than those who pledge unqualified loyalty.

I recognize the relevence of what you say and would go further and say the issue you have raised reaches into the realm of ethics. Whatever the nature of one's beliefs, one's personal conduct may either follow the belief pattern or diverge from it. In so far as it diverges, it helps produce unwanted results, like trojan horse candidates for instance. I am opposed to the theories of a competitive, aquisitive, aggressive, war-making social order which butchers and murders for power. The more I support this social order the more completely I am part of it. Since I reject it in theory, I should, as far as possible reject it in practice. On no other basis can theory and practice be unified. Fuckin'-a better be....
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Thu May 24, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu May 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Candidate A's policies are guaranteed to kill 100,000 people and he has a 50% chance of winning. Candidate B's policies are guaranteed to kill 50,000 people and he has a 50% chance of winning. Candidate C's policies will not kill anyone, hence he has a 0% chance of winning an election in the United States.

You're voting for candidate C, right? Or not voting at all? To keep a clear conscience? But if candidate A wins, wouldn't you feel that your failure to vote for candidate B helped to elect candidate A? Doesn't your omission include some culpability?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu May 24, 2012 4:52 pm

pjbogart wrote:But if candidate A wins, wouldn't you feel that your failure to vote for candidate B helped to elect candidate A? Doesn't your omission include some culpability?
No. The culpability lies with the people who voted for Candidate A, or more precisely, with Candidate A him/herself. This is assuming that democracy has any legitimacy to begin with, which is debatable.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 24, 2012 5:03 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:This is assuming that democracy has any legitimacy to begin with, which is debatable.

Pure anarchy is better?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu May 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Pure anarchy is better?
Certainly better than pure democracy.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu May 24, 2012 5:28 pm

pjbogart wrote:Candidate A's policies are guaranteed to kill 100,000 people and he has a 50% chance of winning. Candidate B's policies are guaranteed to kill 50,000 people and he has a 50% chance of winning. Candidate C's policies will not kill anyone, hence he has a 0% chance of winning an election in the United States.

I don't think Stella is arguing for Candidate C.

I think Stella is arguing for changing the system so that a Candidate C stands a reasonable chance of getting elected.

Some would argue that voting for A or B only perpetuates such an obviously flawed system. I don't. But I do think that focusing too much on A vs. B is a distraction from the problems in both parties.

FWIW, I don't disagree with the topic of this thread; the GOP is totally off the rails. So much so that you don't really notice all the problems with the Obama administration (drones, indefinite detention, retaliation against whistleblowers.....)
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 24, 2012 5:33 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Pure anarchy is better?
Certainly better than pure democracy.

So what system in better than our impure democracy? I assume you don't want philosopher kings to rule.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Back to what's wrong with the GOP.

In the Illinois legislature, they seem to be infiltrated by drama queens -- or preschoolers prone to tantrums:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/illi ... 25738.html
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed May 30, 2012 7:59 pm

snoqueen wrote:Back to what's wrong with the GOP.

In the Illinois legislature, they seem to be infiltrated by drama queens -- or preschoolers prone to tantrums:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/illi ... 25738.html

My God, Risser et al WENT BACK?

What is it this time?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Huh?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed May 30, 2012 9:17 pm

snoqueen wrote:Huh?

Saving for posterity.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:43 am

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:58 pm

"I have not asked you to adopt and adhere to my religious beliefs. Why are you asking me to adopt yours?" she said. But what came next is what got her in trouble: "And finally, Mr. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but 'no' means 'no.'"

Huh, doesn't sound so bad. I believe they talked about vaginas in my health class when I was about 15 or so. Yet:

The Detroit News reports today the House Republican leadership did not allow Brown to speak on a bill about the retirement of school employees.

The News reports:

"'What she said was offensive," said Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville. 'It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company.'

He's like a fucking 8 year old embarrassed to talk about sex. Jeebus fucking Chirst where do these people come from.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government