MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:53 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 20035.html

And we've heard before of the law firm that might be doing the work.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:26 pm

While we're at it, who's paying to hold all the state's duly passed laws up in court?

same article wrote:One of those cases was brought by the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin and is now before the District 4 Court of Appeals based in Madison. The other case from Dane County is still before the trial court judge. Separately, two challenges have also been filed in federal court.

Or is it only political when states pay to defend themselves from high powered interest groups?
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:39 pm

I assume you're equally offended that some high powered interest group is causing the US government to have to defend the duly-passed healthcare law.

Here, I'll save you the trouble:

It's OK when Republicans do it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:50 pm

snoqueen wrote:I assume you're equally offended that some high powered interest group is causing the US government to have to defend the duly-passed healthcare law.

Twenty six duly elected state governments protecting their citizens from an aggressive federal expansion is a lot different than so many partisan, unelected interest groups holding up the business of state for partisan reasons. Herb Kohl sponsored a bill protecting voters from fraud I believe in 2005; I will actually miss that guy.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Bludgeon wrote:While we're at it, who's paying to hold all the state's duly passed laws up in court?

same article wrote:One of those cases was brought by the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin and is now before the District 4 Court of Appeals based in Madison. The other case from Dane County is still before the trial court judge. Separately, two challenges have also been filed in federal court.

Or is it only political when states pay to defend themselves from high powered interest groups?

Sorry--I missed the part where the League of Women Voters secretly paid for litigation filed by sitting members of the state legislature, one of whom insists he doesn't even know who paid his legal bills. Could you find that section and paste it into the conversation for us?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Actually, *I* paid for the League of Women Voters to litigate. So did a lot of other small donors. It's no secret. Our lawyers are Attorneys Lester Pines and Susan Crawford of Cullen Weston Pines & Bach, LLC. That's no secret either. We're proud of it.

http://www.lwvwi.org/
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:54 pm

snoqueen wrote:Actually, *I* paid for the League of Women Voters to litigate. So did a lot of other small donors. It's no secret. Our lawyers are Attorneys Lester Pines and Susan Crawford of Cullen Weston Pines & Bach, LLC. That's no secret either. We're proud of it.

http://www.lwvwi.org/

Exactly my point.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:28 pm

I don't care where the money is coming from in support of a law requiring people having to show a common form of identification in order to vote.

If the foundation of our constitutional republic's one person one vote is raped, then our very nation is at risk.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Bludgeon wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I assume you're equally offended that some high powered interest group is causing the US government to have to defend the duly-passed healthcare law.

Twenty six duly elected state governments protecting their citizens from an aggressive federal expansion is a lot different than so many partisan, unelected interest groups holding up the business of state for partisan reasons. Herb Kohl sponsored a bill protecting voters from fraud I believe in 2005; I will actually miss that guy.
I've always thought it interesting how the GOP persuaded it's sheep to reject Nixon/Romney care not just because it's now coming from a Democrat. But because it forces people who can afford to pay for their own insurance, but are scamming the system thereby causing higher premiums for others, to pony up.

That Republicans are FOR welfare when a Democrat tries to end it should be no surprise though.

It fits in with one of their other double standards: You CAN'T tax the wealthy to pay for the system that allowed them to get wealthy-it's THEIR MONEY! But you CAN steal from the low and middle class re: state employees, keep minimum wage and workers benefits for those who need it most extremely low, etal.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Cornbread wrote:
If the foundation of our constitutional republic's one person one vote is raped, then our very nation is at risk.

I wouldn't choose the same words, but you express much about how I feel regarding the likely suppression of eligible voters due to poorly planned, heavy-handed efforts to stop unproven claims of voter fraud.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:01 am

acereraser wrote:
I wouldn't choose the same words, but you express much about how I feel regarding the likely suppression of eligible voters due to poorly planned, heavy-handed efforts to stop unproven claims of voter fraud.

You mean, like purging citizens from the voter rolls?

Some of the state's 67 supervisors of elections have stated they do not trust a list of nearly 2,700 ineligible voters identified by the state's elections office and will discontinue work on the purge.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/jun ... t-a-issue/
In Miami-Dade, the count of voters whose citizenship status has been challenged by the Scott administration numbered in the hundreds. With time left to respond, nearly a quarter of those sent letters in have already proven their eligibility.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/0 ... ge-florid/
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lance Boyle » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:43 am

Bludgeon wrote:While we're at it, who's paying to hold all the state's duly passed laws up in court?

Duly passed state laws mean shit when it comes to voter rights issues. Certainly you know this ?. It's too bad private citizen's have to foot part of the bill on this litigation.
Lance Boyle
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:50 am

Lance Boyle wrote:

Duly passed state laws mean shit when it comes to voter rights issues.

It's not duly passed if it violates the Wisconsin Constitution, which is likely as that is the reason the injunction was issued by the circuit court.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:24 pm

acereraser wrote:you express much about how I feel regarding the likely suppression of eligible voters due to poorly planned, heavy-handed efforts to stop unproven claims of voter fraud.

Interesting POV.

So asking someone to actually prove they are a resident of a state before voting in a state's election is "suppression"?
And asking someone to prove they are who they are so that person can then cast their allotted vote in the system is "suppression"?

Is me having to show an ID "suppressing" my ability to cash my check that you gave me?

Riddle me this:
If someone has an absentee ballot for someone and someone uses it to vote, who voted?
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Current voting laws adhere to the State of Wisconsin Constitution. You don't need to know anything more than that.

If the government precludes someone who legally resides in Wisconsin from voting, that is suppression. No one can register and vote unless they prove who they are, duh. What the GOP wants is to change how you prove who you are.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government