MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

madison.com limits viewing

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: madison.com limits viewing

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:36 pm

wack wack wrote:Will there be ads past the pay wall?

Read the comments section of that article and the staff says there will still be ads.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:28 pm

How many paid newspaper subscribers have left due to the WSJ's endorsement of Walker and continued "reporting" in his favor?

In this endorsement on 10/10/10 they claimed "Walker is no extremist" and he was "the best for jobs".

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/opinion/editorial/article_8ccb7914-d3ec-11df-9fc4-001cc4c03286.html
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:31 pm

If they want me to start paying - again - for their stories, I'd like to see a few things happen:
1. Start using the internet. If a news story refers to a document or statement, put a link to it in the story instead of just referring to it and leaving me to guess. For ongoing issues, put links to past stories so I can get some perspective. Use google maps.
2. Fire Chris Rickert. The guy is a hack. It's not that I disagree with him - he's just a bad, lazy columnist. He doesn't do research to back up his ideas and he never makes any attempt to talk with credible sources. It's the same drivel over and over again - teachers are bad, he's from Illinois, State employees are lazy, and mostly it's all about him.
3. Separate the CT and SJ more. Create some real difference in them, the way it used to be.
4. Make the web site more relevant so I want to use it. Update it more often, add in breaking news on a more regular basis, have a good weather report - do something so I feel I can't live without it and am willing to pay.

I was a pretty consistent subscriber to MNI for over 30 years, always to the Cap Times and often to the Journal as well. I canceled my subscription last year. I mean, I thought that's what they wanted - Chris Rickert kept telling me what a lazy, overpaid hack I was, the editorial page pumped up Walker at every turn, and the reporting never seemed to notice what was happening on the Square.

Thing was, I didn't really miss it. Now that I'm not looking at them online, I'm still not missing much.

So, you know, I'm not really feeling the love for MNI.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:31 pm

lolagirl wrote:It's the same drivel over and over again...

Yet you keep reading him.

So they're getting just what they want.

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.
Pig Vomit: How can that be?
Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."
Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?
Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolagirl » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:34 am

Remember_Me wrote:
lolagirl wrote:It's the same drivel over and over again...

Yet you keep reading him.

So they're getting just what they want.

Actually, I quit - which was the point of my post. I did give Chris - and the Journal - a fair chance, which means I read it enough to make some conclusions - and then I stopped.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby doppel » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:24 am

Seems counter productive to charge your print subscribers a fee to view on the net the same shit that they've already paid for. It pisses me off enough that I'm unlikely to renew my subscription. Right or wrong, I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. Wouldn't it be wiser to use free access as a carrot to build print circulation numbers? Thinking of this situation in terms of win-win, not milk-milk is more likely help the bottom line, long term. Rewarding customers with anything "free" is a big incentive compared to a "reduced rate". A perfect example of "pissing in the soup." A business\marketing decision that is likely to bite them in their ass.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:32 pm

lolagirl wrote: 2. Fire Chris Rickert. The guy is a hack. It's not that I disagree with him - he's just a bad, lazy columnist. He doesn't do research to back up his ideas and he never makes any attempt to talk with credible sources. ...Chris Rickert kept telling me what a lazy..

Chris Rickert is not a bad, lazy columnist. He is little different from 10,000 other local newspaper columnists, who afterall are not expected to be objective. He is no less professional than the columnists at Cap Times.

Ideologically, he's a moderate Republican. And he doesn't call anybody "lazy." Well, more annoying, he insinuates it.

You hate him, I'm guessing, because he is needling you in vulnerable places, close to home, not because he lacks footnotes and citations.

I just thought of a guy who I hate. He is a conservative. In an argument, he said to me, "Republicans are for healthcare for all, it's just a question of how much." I hate him because this is weasle words. I similarly hate Chris Rickert for his weasle words. I'd rather listen to Rush Limbaugh who is right out front than a weasle.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:04 pm

doppel wrote:Seems counter productive to charge your print subscribers a fee to view on the net the same shit that they've already paid for.

Cooks Illustrated also does this, and you're right - it's maddening. They get their $3 a month from me for the online subscription, but I refuse to pay for the actual print edition on top of that. (I prefer the searchable index that the online edition offers. I don't want to haul out a binder full of magazines just to find a single recipe.)

Sadly, people that make their livings doing print media are often ill-equipped to utilize technical innovations.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Cornbread » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Huckleby wrote:I'd rather listen to Rush Limbaugh who is right out front than a weasle.

I didn't start listening to Rush Limbaugh until zerobams got the democrat party nomination. No one dare ask anything about him out of fear of the leftist intimidation machine....but Rush.

I think he's certainly more deserving of a Pulitzer Prize than ol barack, certainly more than most of those in recent memory.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wackybadger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Ironically, I found this discussion thread because I wanted to see why I kept getting log-in box after I had read 5 articles. Madison.com got rid of their forms a while back and I didn't see the original paywall article so I came here. The MJS went to a paywall a few months back but that is easily avoided using the cookie method or as I prefer, the NoScript add-on for Firefox which prevents Javascript from running on any or all websites at your discretion. I suspect I can add madison.com to NoScript's filter when the paywall starts and I'll be fine there. Annoyingly, leading up to this I kept on encountering the log-in box on multiple computers that I stay logged in to madison.com on. I'd log-in and it would tell me you're already logged in on another computer. So I had to click login again and then it was fine. It doesn't instill much confidence in paying for madison.com if I were that gullible.
wackybadger

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 am

I would like to know if papers that go to the paywall system get more revenue, or enough to justify the dropoff in clicks which is surely noticed by their advertisers. Is any dropoff temporary or permanent? (I know once I quit visiting a page, I rarely put it back into rotation.) I would also like to know if going to a voluntary donation system has been tested and what were the results at various sites.

I realize news is a tough business and new business models are needed and are being tried, but what are the findings?

I think we'll end up with voluntary contributions plus reliance on rich donors, which is already a pretty well-established trend. It's even halfway tolerable as long as we get a good spectrum among the rich donors, which might not happen.

Where's Judith Faulkner in all this? She's as rich as god.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:46 am

I usually bipass paywalls by clearing cookies for the domain (F12 key -> cache on windows machines.)

Doesn't seem to work for MAdison.com. IS anybody else sneaking around the wall?

I agree that we need to support real journalism, so I'm not walking the talk. But I will re-subscribe to the paper version of the WSJ. Does the paper subscription include access to the website, as is done with NY Times?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:02 am

peripat wrote:And charging current paper subscribers for web access is really a bit much....

OMG. Yeah, that's just idiotic.

So is Chris Rickert. I gotta take issue with Huck's assertion he's not any worse than your garden variety columnist. He's possibly the worst I've ever read. It's got nothing to do with whatever his politics purportedly are -- I'd be hard pressed to decipher a message from most of his rambling, incoherent missives.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:17 am

minicat wrote:
peripat wrote:And charging current paper subscribers for web access is really a bit much....

OMG. Yeah, that's just idiotic .

This can't be right. I'm going to call and ask them.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:22 am

OMG. They've lost their minds.

I chatted with the person who answers phones for circulation. She said a lot of people are upset that one has to pay for online access on top of paper subscription.

I expect they will fix this stupidity. I'll get a paper subscription after they come to their senses.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All