MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Your last five beers

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Your last five beers

Postby wallrock » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Different styles of Abita, including their Jackamo IPA (hops have a spicy/peppery finish), their amber and their Mardi Gras bock. All in bottles.

I'm heading down to NOLA in a couple weeks for some post-Mardi Gras fun. I'm looking forward to getting some Abita closer to the source not to mention the rest of the NOLA beers. I also figure on having a couple Lazy Magnolia beers when I head over to MS to see the relatives on the Gulf Coast.

My last five:
Frankenmuth Dunkel - bottle. This was an easy sipper to coincide with OT during the Badger basketball game last night. I had picked up a sixer a while back and there was one bottle left in the fridge. It was OK but pretty non-descript, as dark Munich lagers can often be. I remember liking it well enough the first time around but last night I was mainly focused on the free throws.

Lagunitas Imperial Red - bottle. Delicious. Hoppy and malty but not overpowering and maybe way too drinkable for a nearly 8% beer. I'm glad I switched to the Frankenmuth last night otherwise I might have been in rough shape this morning.

Rhinelander Imperial Jack Double IPA - bomber. I saw this at Steve's a while back and I just had to try it. I enjoy the 7 oz shorties and I was curious to see if a DIPA brewed at Minhas would be up to snuff. It most certainly was. The malts were a bit sweeter than my ideal and the hops a bit muted but overall this was very good.

Grand Teton Sweetgrass APA - bottle. I'd picked up a single bottle of this a few months back at a coffee & beer shop in Eau Claire and enjoyed it, and last weekend I was surprised to find it available at a liquor store in Sauk Prairie. Nicely hopped and pretty sessionable, I'm thinking the remaining five will be gone tonight as my sister's stopping by.

Sand Creek Noir Belgian Black Barleywine - bottle. I picked up a four-pack at Steve's a few weeks ago just to try it. I pretty much stand in agreement with Robin Shepard on this one. It's got a lot going on but overall I'm a fan.

Last night I also picked up the new Capital Manoomator Wild Rice Dopplebock and Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine. I'm looking forward to trying those this weekend.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby indycoyote » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Fuller's London Pride
Ale Asylum Stickie McDougal Scotch Ale
Schneider Weisse
Sierra Nevada Rye IPA
Rodenbach Grand Cru

The Fullers had just steadily gone downhill to my tastebuds...Stickie McD isn't as good as last years run...Schneider makes the best Weizen beer IMHO...RyePA is interesting, perhaps a bit too cloyingly sweet but goes well with spicy food and/or Purple Kush..Rodenbach, when fresh, is like a French Maid outfit from Victoria Secret: smooth, well rounded, satinesque...yummmy.
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:49 pm

From Trader Joe's:

Boatswain H.L.V. Ale. A little too sweet and malty for my taste, but drinkable.

Boatswain American IPA. Hoppy enough for me.

Both at a great price ($1.99 for 22 ounce bomber bottles).

Yes I know that is only two beers, but being in large bottles they almost count as five.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:32 pm

TJ's private label Boatswain (brewed under contract by Rhinelander Brewing in Monroe, WI) now has a double IPA called Twin Screw Steamer, also only $1.99 a 22 oz. bomber. Very drinkable for its price point (how I hate that term).

Otherwise, I've been drinking the usual suspects although I did have a Sixpoint Resin, as mentioned in another thread.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:43 pm

I've been picking up a lot more bombers lately. Right now my refrigerator door is stocked full of them and I've got another ten or so aging in the pantry. I also brought back a bomber four-pack from Flat Earth in St. Paul for a friend's birthday. It was perfect as a brewery sampler since we all got to try a bit of each one.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:48 pm

wallrock wrote:I've been picking up a lot more bombers lately. Right now my refrigerator door is stocked full of them and I've got another ten or so aging in the pantry. I also brought back a bomber four-pack from Flat Earth in St. Paul for a friend's birthday. It was perfect as a brewery sampler since we all got to try a bit of each one.

I love Flat Earth's "Angry Planet" as much for the name and label as for the beer itself.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:12 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
wallrock wrote:I've been picking up a lot more bombers lately. Right now my refrigerator door is stocked full of them and I've got another ten or so aging in the pantry. I also brought back a bomber four-pack from Flat Earth in St. Paul for a friend's birthday. It was perfect as a brewery sampler since we all got to try a bit of each one.

I love Flat Earth's "Angry Planet" as much for the name and label as for the beer itself.

I was more a fan of the Northwest Passage IPA myself though the Angry Planet label was certainly a good one. I thought the Cascade hops in the Angry Planet were a bit too hard, but it should be noted I was in the minority opinion. The Cygnus X-1 and Belgian Pale were both good as well.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails