MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Citizen Dave Doubles Down

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Citizen Dave Doubles Down

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Meade wrote:
O.J. wrote:Who creates military jobs?

Our enemies.

Didn't you have a different opinion on the military fighting our enemies when you were a young man? I recall you saying so.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:15 pm

What about public sector workers who spend their salary on private sector purchases? Where does that money come from (this should be interesting)?

Same is true of private sector workers who spend thier money on private sector purchases. The difference is where the money is coming from. I'm not saying that public sector jobs don't help to stimulate the economy. Just about half as much as a private sector job is going to.
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Shit, I no longer have any idea where money comes from. Isn't money an abstraction anyway?

/bong hit
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:02 pm

O.J. wrote:
Earthling wrote:
Who creates military jobs?

Public sector position. Paid for by you and me. I'm talking about the kind of jobs that actually stimulate the economy on both sides of the equation, not just the disposable income of the employee.

Have you ever heard of Lockheed Martin? Raytheon? Northrop Grumman?

Yes, they are giant country clubs with there hands in the public jam pot.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Earthling wrote:
What about public sector workers who spend their salary on private sector purchases? Where does that money come from (this should be interesting)?

Same is true of private sector workers who spend thier money on private sector purchases. The difference is where the money is coming from. I'm not saying that public sector jobs don't help to stimulate the economy. Just about half as much as a private sector job is going to.

So, when you go out tonight to eat, are you going to wear your home or away Packer's jersey?
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Earthling wrote:
Who creates military jobs?

Public sector position. Paid for by you and me. I'm talking about the kind of jobs that actually stimulate the economy on both sides of the equation, not just the disposable income of the employee.

I'm not exactly certain what you meant to say in this post, but it sounds as though you're differentiating the relative economic impact of private vs. public sector jobs. It sounds as though you're making the gross generalization that ALL private sector jobs have a greater economic impact than ALL public sector jobs. Essentially, the argument is that because public sector jobs are paid for with tax dollars, they must first REDUCE the economy through taxes before they STIMULATE the economy through spending. A point I wouldn't disagree with, in principle.

But aren't a great number of private sector jobs funded with public monies as well? If we build a bridge, highway or a library, aren't private contractors working on the project? And isn't it also true that WHAT you're building is just as important as who you're giving the money to? If we pay a private contractor a billion dollars for a shipment of sidewinder missiles, what will we have to show for our investment in 10 years? Arguably nothing. That same billion dollars could more than pay for a commuter train from here to Milwaukee plus about 25 years of operation and maintenance. That's an INVESTMENT. Something we can point to and say, "this is where our money went."

I would be happy to concede that the government spends a whole pile of money that they shouldn't. Sometimes this spending is easy to mock, such as spending a few million dollars studying the impact of pollution on frogs and turtles in Lake Winnebago. But conservatives tend to criticize spending through a political lens, where military spending is always justified and infrastructure spending is never justified.

Why is that? Is it because infrastructure spending often employs union laborers?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government