MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Will Wanggaard want recount?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Earthling wrote:His facts prove nothing. In order to be disenfranchised you have to be a voter. Spouting numbers about how many people are walking around without ID's doesn't mean all of those people are going to vote now does it? Why is this so difficult for all of you to understand? Oh yeah...it's difficult for you to understand because you don't want to admit to it.
... like the fact that despite extensive time and money spent investigating voter fraud, no examples were found except for felons voting, which voter ID doesn't prevent anyway?

The need for voter ID has never been proven.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3193
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Earthling wrote:Yes because getting a photo ID is such a difficult task.


Luck service center
Danish Brotherhood Hall
300 1st Street
Luck, WI 54853

Hours: 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. - 3rd Wednesday of the month


How convenient.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4983
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Luck service center
Danish Brotherhood Hall
300 1st Street
Luck, WI 54853

Hours: 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. - 3rd Wednesday of the month


I've got a gut feeling people in Luck don't even vote.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:03 pm

lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:Yes because getting a photo ID is such a difficult task. Enough already. The shit is starting to pile up too high.


Apparently you missed it the first time:

Also among those suing are two Black Milwaukee residents: Eddie Lee Holloway, Jr., who used to regularly serve as a poll worker, but whose incorrect birth certificate will prevent him from getting a state ID and voting; and Shirley Brown, who was born in Louisiana at home by midwife and as a result, has no record of her birth.


Yes I read your little article. So figuring out how to fix these types of problems is completely out of the question then I suppose? Don't scrap the entire law because of a few flaws.

That's not what you want though is it? Why is that?
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Don't scrap the entire law because of a few flaws.


Saving this for posterity just in case we need it after the Supreme Court decision comes down on the Affordable Care Act.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Earthling wrote:Yes I read your little article. So figuring out how to fix these types of problems is completely out of the question then I suppose? Don't scrap the entire law because of a few flaws.


Until such time that they *are* figured out, yes, the law should be scrapped.

Earthling wrote:That's not what you want though is it?


Oh?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Cornbread » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:48 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:The need for voter ID has never been proven.

Neither has been the need for the banning of semi automatic firearms.......

Leftists are so funny. They are my R&R.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Various places

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby lukpac » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:13 am

Earthling wrote:Is this really the best you can do? There are always going to be extreme examples in population you examine. The point is that there aren't a whole lot of un-ID'd voters out there.


http://www.pewstates.org/research/analy ... 398509?p=1

Based on survey results, 9.5 percent of the county’s VEP—slightly more than 63,000 eligible voters—and 8.7 percent of registered voters were found to lack the proper ID.

The findings also revealed the rates of inadequate identification were significantly higher than the countywide figure among minorities but lower among white voters:

* 14.9 percent of eligible and 11.3 percent of registered Latinos.
* 13.2 percent of eligible and 15.3 percent of registered African-Americans.
* 7.4 of eligible and 6.0 percent of registered Whites.


http://www.aclu.org/files/assets/062-10 ... report.pdf

Overall 2.4 percent of eligible white voters lack an accepted photo ID, and also lack the required underlying documents to obtain an original Wisconsin DMV product. In comparison, 4.5 percent of eligible Black voters lack an accepted ID and lack the ability to obtain one, and 5.9 percent of eligible Latino voters lack an accepted ID and lack the ability to obtain one.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby DCB » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:20 am

lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:Is this really the best you can do? There are always going to be extreme examples in population you examine. The point is that there aren't a whole lot of un-ID'd voters out there.


http://www.pewstates.org/research/analy ... 398509?p=1

Based on survey results, 9.5 percent of the county’s VEP—slightly more than 63,000 eligible voters—and 8.7 percent of registered voters were found to lack the proper ID.
....


I have a hunch that Earthling is going to reject those so-called 'fact' out-of-hand.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby O.J. » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:26 am

Well, duh! Just 'cause people are registered to vote, doesn't mean that they actually will. Whereas, it's obvious that voter fraud is rampant because there is no way you can prove that it isn't.

Neener-neener.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2993
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:19 pm

lukpac wrote:http://www.aclu.org/files/assets/062-10-exhibitjexpertreport.pdf

Overall 2.4 percent of eligible white voters lack an accepted photo ID, and also lack the required underlying documents to obtain an original Wisconsin DMV product. In comparison, 4.5 percent of eligible Black voters lack an accepted ID and lack the ability to obtain one, and 5.9 percent of eligible Latino voters lack an accepted ID and lack the ability to obtain one.


Call me crazy here, but voter id aside, doesn't this seem like an issue that should be addressed anyway?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby lukpac » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Call me crazy here, but voter id aside, doesn't this seem like an issue that should be addressed anyway?


Sure. But how?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:12 pm

lukpac wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Call me crazy here, but voter id aside, doesn't this seem like an issue that should be addressed anyway?


Sure. But how?



Put birth certificates online and make them accessible to the DMV?
Have the state subsidize getting copies of the documents needed to get a state id?
Take a DNA sample at birth, and store it for identification purposes?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby lukpac » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Put birth certificates online and make them accessible to the DMV?
Have the state subsidize getting copies of the documents needed to get a state id?
Take a DNA sample at birth, and store it for identification purposes?


How do you do that when the documents don't exist in the first place?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:25 pm

lukpac wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Put birth certificates online and make them accessible to the DMV?
Have the state subsidize getting copies of the documents needed to get a state id?
Take a DNA sample at birth, and store it for identification purposes?


How do you do that when the documents don't exist in the first place?


If there isn't currently a way to identify people who never had a birth certificate then we need to create a new method of identifying people who don't have said documents. I suppose it's easier to just say we can't do that, but really it's not that technically complicated (though admittedly it could be politically complicated).
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar