MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

"tax-exempt status of US religious groups is $71.1B"

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

"tax-exempt status of US religious groups is $71.1B"

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:50 pm

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "tax-exempt status of US religious groups is $71.1B"

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:49 pm

The actual report is far more interesting and detailed: http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.ph ... ragun_32_4
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:42 pm

They need the money to settle all the lawsuits.

So it all works out in the end.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:35 pm

These subsidies should be phased out. But since that is unlikely to happen, we’d accept the following alternative: the ability to write off our annual entertainment expenses as “donations”; the subsidizing of all of our housing expenses, including utilities and maintenance costs; being exempt from paying taxes on businesses we start related to our primary purpose in life (say, a micro-brewery); direct cash transfers to us from the government for trying to convert people to our worldviews while claiming to provide social services; and, most important, the right to host games of bingo without reporting our income as gambling revenue!

Sounds okay with me. Of course you already have the direct cash transfers to you from the government for trying to convert people to your world views while claiming to provide social services. It's called public education.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Meade wrote:Sounds okay with me. Of course you already have the direct cash transfers to you from the government for trying to convert people to your world views while claiming to provide social services. It's called public education.

Might also be called Fox News, for that matter.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Meade wrote: Of course you already have the direct cash transfers to you from the government for trying to convert people to your world views while claiming to provide social services. It's called public education.

Does that include public law schools? Do law professors act as government agents to convert people's world views while claiming to provide social services?

A simple yes or no will do.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Of course you already have the direct cash transfers to you from the government for trying to convert people to your world views while claiming to provide social services. It's called public education.

I'm going out on a limb here and speculating that teaching pernicious topics like global climate change, evolution, human sexuality, comparative religion from a secular viewpoint, environmental responsibility, economics, and 20th century history (to name just a few) would be phased out along with public education itself.

It's the only way to liberate ourselves from these follies and focus on cursive.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:16 am

The whole tax code regarding what is a tax exempt organization needs a serious review. Is a senior citizens housing facility/country club a nonprofit? It can be

Why are some hospitals nonprofits and others for profit when they provide the same emergency service to individuals with out insurance?

An organization that spends 90% of its funds raising funds to pay its high paid staff while providing no actual community service can be a nonprofit.

I can see how folks may get down on churches but the line between for profit and not for profit is muddled at best. A church provides emotional support and a meeting house to its members. Is this all that different than some of the functions provided by a a neighborhood center?

What is the difference between an organization that sells food as a fund raiser in order to fund impoverished inner city youth that then volunteer to help make the food and an inner city Mcdonald's that employes inner city youth to make and sell food? Either one could probably be a registered nonprofit organization.
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:34 pm

snoqueen wrote:
Of course you already have the direct cash transfers to you from the government for trying to convert people to your world views while claiming to provide social services. It's called public education.

I'm going out on a limb here and speculating that teaching pernicious topics like global climate change, evolution, human sexuality, comparative religion from a secular viewpoint, environmental responsibility, economics, and 20th century history (to name just a few) would be phased out along with public education itself.

It's the only way to liberate ourselves from these follies and focus on cursive.

Hmmm....

"The principal of a New Jersey elementary school where young students were videotaped singing the praises of President Obama is making no apologies for the videotape and says she would allow the performance again if she could, according to parents who spoke with her Thursday night.

Three parents told FOXNews.com that Dr. Denise King, principal of B. Bernice Young Elementary School in Burlington, N.J., defended the controversial performance, which was videotaped and posted on YouTube, when they approached her during a "Back to School" event.

Parent Jim Angelillo said King told him the lesson was merely part of Black History month, and not an attempt to indoctrinate students, as critics have charged. He said he believes teachers have the freedom to express their political views, but not in the classroom.

"Freedom of speech, not freedom to teach," Angelillo told FOXNews.com."

more...

She praised him, she put pictures on the walls," said Jim Pronchick, whose 8-year-old son, Jimmy, was in James' class last year. "When he won (the election) they really went off."

"Leslie Gibson, who has two children at the school, said she was "shocked" at the videotape, adding that political beliefs, like religious views, should be kept at home. She also said King made a "big deal" about her attendance at the inauguration.

"Throughout the school, there were signs posted supporting Barack Obama quite a bit," Gibson told FOXNews.com. "I understand it's a historical event, but on the same token, I like politics to be left at home and I think she should follow that as well."

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=57d_1253898621

Or this...

"Virginia middle school teacher recently forced his students to support President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign by conducting opposition research in class against the Republican presidential candidates.

The 8th grade students, who attend Liberty Middle School in Fairfax County, were required to seek out the vulnerabilities of Republican presidential hopefuls and forward them to the Obama campaign.

“This assignment was just creepy beyond belief — like something out of East Germany during the Cold War,” one frustrated father, who asked for his family to remain anonymous, told The Daily Caller.

The assignment was for students to research the backgrounds and positions of each of the GOP candidates for president and find “weaknesses” in them, the parent explained. From there, students were to prepare a strategy paper to exploit those weaknesses and then to send their suggestions to the Obama campaign.

Liberty teacher Michael Denman, who declined to comment, unveiled the assignment in mid-January when he broke the Civics Honor’s class into four groups, one for each Republican candidate. The students were then to collaborate as a group and research the backgrounds of their assigned candidate."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/22/va-mi ... z27bIOn3G8

And who could forget these glassy-eyed darlings?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9OiqcXqkxs

And these husky fellas?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/ ... 68x305.jpg

"A school teacher was suspended yesterday for putting a video on YouTube of his students chanting lines from Barack Obama speeches and wearing military fatigues.

The video, called 'Obama Youth -- Junior Fraternity Regiment', was posted by a YouTube user named 'keepitwildtv' on October 2."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z27bPWhUH3

All courtesy of your "public" schools!
Last edited by Ned Flanders on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Meade wrote: Of course you already have the direct cash transfers to you from the government for trying to convert people to your world views while claiming to provide social services. It's called public education.

Does that include public law schools?

Sorry, Henry, to facilitate your understanding my point, I should have been more specific: compulsory public education.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Meade wrote:Sorry, Henry, to facilitate your understanding my point, I should have been more specific: compulsory public education.

Parents can opt out of sending their kids to public school. Home school. Send your kids to parochial school. What? Don't have the money for that? Maybe the godly among you ought to be tithing if this is your greatest concern, so your religious organization of choice can direct more money toward scholarships.

Pull yourselves up by your fucking bootstraps for Christ's sake, ya fuckin' whiners. Nobody's forcing you to embrace public education any more than their forcing you to accept food stamps.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Public education is compulsory in every state. Just as Obamacare will be compulsory. And just like Obamacare, you can get a waiver - if you qualify. Otherwise, you must obey the government's authority or you will be outside the law and if you're caught, you will be punished.

Food Stamps is not analogous. The government doesn't demand that you accept food stamps. Yet.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Public education is not compulsory. The laws vary by state. The map in this link shows which states require no notification (parents can just not enroll their kids, without further requirements); notification only (Wisconsin is in this group); notification and moderate regulation, and notification and high regulation (six states).

Those are the only categories shown. Nothing I can locate says any state has compulsory public education. Please note the page I linked to belongs to a home-schooling advocacy organization so it's reasonable to assume they might be aware of states that compel students to attend public schools.

Those refusing to buy insurance, under Obamacare, will be charged a fine as part of their tax return. Those declining public education are not fined in any state, according to the information I can locate.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Here you go, snoqueen, you forgot your link: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 60374.html
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:56 pm

http://www.hslda.org/laws/

Oops, you're right, I left out the link. Thanks for reading along.

Yours? Not worth a click. If you've got something to say, I'm sure you'll figure out some way to phrase it as a question so you can say later on you didn't mean it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines