MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Gateway Sexual Activity

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Gateway Sexual Activity

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:14 pm

These people can't die soon enough.

Spurred by a classroom demonstration involving a sex toy, Tennessee recently enacted a pro-abstinence sex education law that is among the strictest in the nation.

The most debated section of the bill bars educators from promoting "gateway sexual activity." But supporters seemed too squeamish during floor debate to specify what that meant, so critics soon labeled it the "no holding-hands bill."

One thing missing from the debate in the Legislature was a discussion of whether the law signed by Republican Gov. Bill Haslam last month really would help reduce Tennessee's high teenage pregnancy rate. Experts say it won't and warn that it leaves teenagers inadequately educated about sexuality and prevention of pregnancy and disease.

Tennessee's pregnancy rate among girls 15 to 17 has dropped steadily since the first abstinence-focused sex education curriculum was put in place in the 1990s, according to figures from the state Commission on Children and Youth. In 2009, the latest data available, there were 29.6 pregnancies per 1,000 girls, down from a rate of 48.2 in 1998.

Yet the state's teen pregnancy rate remains one of the highest in the nation, according to the New York-based Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive health research organization.

Read More...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gateway Sexual Activity

Postby Igor » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:03 pm

If sex education would focus on the basics, like:

- General hygeine
- This is how you get pregnant
- This is how you avoid getting pregnant
- This is how you can lessen your chance of getting a disease
- Doing this gives you a better chance of getting a disease than doing that.

I think that there would be more broad-based agreement. Not total agreement of course, but a significant majority.

If you can't get across these principles without demonstrating oral sex with a dildo, you are a lousy teacher. And frankly, if you really truly *cared* about these kids getting this info, you would figure out how to get the info to them without the theatrics. This doesn't need to be a semester long symposium - I think that kids would appreciate being given the facts in a direct, concise manner. Make sure there is a way for them to ask questions privately if they have them.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines