MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 82.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Shorewood bike cops again

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Shorewood bike cops again

Postby Nick Berigan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:53 am

They're ticketing for rolling stops on Locust Drive behind the credit union again. You can see for 300 feet each way at the sign behind the CU. If you don't put your foot ticket, you can get a ticket. This despite the fact that I followed two of the bike cops thru a sequence of multiple rolling stops the last time we went through this. When I asked one guy what was better about HIS rolling stop, he laughed and said that a judge would throw those tickets out anyway.

Let's find out.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Shorewood bike cops again

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:21 am

Uhg. Shorewood is the worst. That used to be my usual route in to work before I moved back downtown. I got a warning for a "no stop" from Shorewood Pac-Blue where the bike path meets Locust Dr.

I'm a pretty slow cautious biker these days and though I've had my fair share of close calls with automobiles so far I haven't been the cause. Its always been a driver who made a bad decision when I happened to be in the way.

If they want to decrease the number of Auto vs Bicycle incidents in Shorewood (which may or may not be significant) they can start by ticketing drivers who turn across the bike lane without signaling.

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:39 pm

MORE TICKETS FOR BICYCLISTS PLEASE!
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:42 pm

But start with ticketing more drivers.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:45 pm

Who causes more damage if they ignore traffic laws? Cars or bikes? Let's start there.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:58 pm

More tickets for everyone! Start with those damn pedestrians clogging my wheel wells.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Yeah, sorry but I'm going to ignore the whole "bikers threaten the existence of civilization" sub-thread this time so don't waste your time. As with so many other "contributions" on this forum lately, I don't see any reason to respond.

Bikers. Be warned. If they're nearby, it seems you have to put your foot down or some such asinine thing. At least, for awhile. And probably only 'til 8 am because that's when they move over to Marshall Ct to start marking tires.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Nick Berigan wrote: it seems you have to put your foot down or some such asinine thing.

What about the poor d-bags who do track stands.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:24 pm

All right, seriously, thanks for the heads up. I bike through there several times per week and getting a ticket would not be cool. Less cool even than a track stand.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:01 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:If they want to decrease the number of Auto vs Bicycle incidents in Shorewood (which may or may not be significant) they can start by ticketing drivers who turn across the bike lane without signaling.

Dan Motor

Strictly from a public safety standpoint, yours is a good argument for prioritization of resources. Unfortunately, this sounds like one of those campaigns in which a law enforcement agency gets a bee in its bonnet about something and decides to concentrate on it for awhile.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:46 am

How much is the ticket in case I don't stick it*?

*It = my foot.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:09 am

The 'cop' is usually a summer intern. If you're going fast enough you may not see or hear him...

I think a few of the residents down in that part of Shorewood have the ear of someone important. Its a tragic waste of resources if you ask me.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:25 pm

That's a terrible intersection for bikes and cars. Bikes and cars are all converging from every direction. Granted, enforcing the stop sign is probably the last thing that would help make it safer, and I don't have any good ideas for how to improve it.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TeachInPeace » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:24 am

Ticketing bikes who at least make an effort to stop at a stop sign (rolling counts if there is no traffic, IMO) seems like a bit of overkill- what I'd rather see tickets for are those bikes who can't seem to obey a red light, or who fly past me on the right, when I am in the right hand turning lane, stopped, blinker on, and then Evil Knieval (whatevs) has to shoot the mill right before I make my turn. :evil:
TeachInPeace

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:55 am

TeachInPeace wrote:...who fly past me on the right, when I am in the right hand turning lane, stopped, blinker on, and then Evil Knieval (whatevs) has to shoot the mill right before I make my turn. :evil:

The laws of man might not catch up to them, but the laws of physics eventually will.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe