MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

TDPF complaint department

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby Detritus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:44 pm

snoqueen wrote:I think the choice is between active moderation and letting the ship sink. You're not attracting a lot of good new contributors leaving things as they are.

Speaking of active moderation: jjoyce? You there? Any comments?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Reboot!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm telling ya, reboot this thing now!

Whadaya got to lose? A few old farts that can't bear to go back to zero posts?

Let's have some fun.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:17 pm

I see some long time conservative posters Image have joined the wolf pack, although Ned has been unusually quiet. Maybe the new blood has made him look too tame.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Aren't all these people those that used to post on Madison.com? And bitch about tdpf? They do appear to be winning.

I am not a fan of facebook, or real name requirements. Not sure about the issue with emoticons. I don't mind them as they can help to alert to sarcasm or playful facetiousness.

Member moderation always ends up badly, power corrupting and all that jazz. I would like to see forum administrator moderating versus one named person. I have found it to cut down on the "my ball" mentality.

Political fora have always been the downfall of BBS. Move those to facebook.

If tdpf is still around after they have left, I will come back and post/read more.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Here's some material from jman's second link:

At one time, some of the 'tells' of the right-wing ‘sock puppet’ troll was their use of terms such as 'DemoRATS' or ‘Demonrats’ for Democrats, and their repeatedly calling Obama 'Obummer,' 'Obomber' or 'Obomba.' ... Some current 'tells' are when they don't mention the GOP at all, or claim both parties are just as 'evil,' or try to shut down the conversation with insults, or push readers to vote for any third party, or say that they'd rather vote for a Republican than a Democrat, or make statements with no factual basis, or refer you to a right-wing website to ‘confirm’ their assertions...

Ask them a couple of polite intelligent questions on the comment thread’s topic; if they respond by condemning or insulting you for questioning them rather than engaging you, they’re likely a sock-puppet troll; it’s in their nature to consider any question or disagreement as tantamount to treason. Also, if they keep reposting basically the same idea in one comment thread, they’re probably a sock-puppet troll; they’ve been instructed by their masters that repetition works.

We have a couple of those here, I'd say. C-man hits almost every single note.

You really think non-moderation is the way to go?

I still think they're like head lice in a daycare or maybe bedbugs in a hotel, and a tolerance of zero would be appropriate.

The best forums I've ever participated in had a policy pretty much like: "the administrator is god and can do whatever it wants to and no reasons will be given." Don't make rules -- rules are a game to people who have no positive intentions. If someone starts acting like the descriptions in that link, shut them down.

I don't know how you'd define "winning" against these types. I was thinking of it more like convincing people, but simply surviving might be applicable too. In that case, I see only one path.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Of the bunch that is currently trolling the board, I have 3 ignored, and will probably add a bunch more. I have no idea why I haven't ignored Meade yet. I'll do that now.

Of course, all it takes is for one person to keep responding to those sock puppets, and they get what they want. I think Henry really ought to consider ignoring those trolls, instead of responding to every single post they make. They love attention from someone like him.

The only thing I have seen work is strict moderation--enough content-free posts, and you're banned. Cornbread and Meade and peanutbutter and a few others fit that description immediately.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Ebb and flow, man, ebb and flow. Over the years that I've been here, you see different people come and try to leave their mark, then get bored and go away.

Don't let the bastards get you down.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:19 pm

But there's a difference between being bored and being paid ...
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:05 am

The takeover started with an influx of hacks from madison.com, then some newer simple-minded scavengers took root. And the emergence of one-liner yuks Twitter and Facebook certainly haven't helped.
It's a ghost town around here.
The forum is deadsville, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it rise from its shallow grave someday.
Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I lurk.
The sweaty vibe around here stinks.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 am

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I'm busy on other projects and this place just seems to take care of itself in its own way whether I contribute or not. After all, it's only an internet forum.

And I don't have time to read this entire bitch session Jason started. So if I repeat something someone else has already said, you'll just have to try to forgive me or put me on your pussycat ignore list or stick beans in your ears or something.

But I think everyone will agree with me when I say this place has been going downhill ever since Jason and whoever else pushed out Blaska. Blaska wrote interesting posts. He debated topics based on their merits, not by making personal attacks on those who disagreed with him. And he employed a decidedly homegrown Wisconsin-style of humor that he used to mock the pompous and prick the overinflated egos of the preening blowhards.

But alas, Blaska has gone on to other projects and this place just isn't the same. It gets more and more boring as certain individuals who go by the fake names of this and that and the other dig in and make it their own personal domain where they bark and bitch at their perceived opponents and tolerate only their chosen enablers.

Jason should do whatever it would take to get Blaska back. Crawl. Beg. Offer him the salary with which Jason is overpaid. I'm sure Blaska wouldn't take it - but it should be offered. Out of respect. Fairness. And progressivism.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:42 am

Some of us have the impression he's still here posting under another screen name.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:00 am

The answer is simple: More Sheppy

Seriously though I think some administration is necessary. It's a private business. Joyce should ban whenever Joyce feels it necessary no justification necessary. I realize that is going to include me at some point since Joyce has displayed several times he thinks I'm as bad as the Neds and Cornholes of the world. Whatever. Contempt for the community should be ban-able. There are several posters who come here to do nothing more than smear their shit on the walls. Boot them. For my part I've blocked the major offenders and limited my troll-responses. I think we could all go one further and start some threads about something other than politics. Get a discussion going on a topic more difficult for paid (and non-paid)hacks to attach their garbage to. Maybe move the politics forums from the very top of the list to the bottom.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:53 am

Meade wrote:But I think everyone will agree with me when I say this place has been going downhill ever since Jason and whoever else pushed out Blaska.
You probably do think that, which is as apt a demonstration of your utter cluelessness as anything else you've ever posted. Your statement is only remotely true if you redefine "everyone" to mean "a very small minority."
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:01 am

Lots of good ideas here. I heartily agree that Jason should ban whoever he thinks deserves it, for whatever reason he thinks is applicable. Explanations would be nice, but not 100% necessary. This is not a government program that all citizens have a right to membership in.

About the frequently named trolls: By and large I agree with the characterizations, but two of those named at least once in this thread strike me as somewhat different.

D-man is sincere and I've known lots of other people who think as he does about gun rights but aren't as erudite. The only subject where his postings approach troll-level for me are the ones about gun rights-- which is most of what he posts. However he strikes me as a lot more thoughtful than, say, Ted Nugent, and I frequently find that he brings tenable arguments to this forum that don't otherwise get expressed here, or for that matter, in Dane County other than in biker bars in my obviously limited experience. Don't know if you're a chopper pilot or not, D-man, but even when I violently disagree with you I recognize a lot of what I've heard sincerely expressed by friends and family in your arguments. (I'm still not convinced by all of it, though).

Meade came to Madison as a star of the Blogosphere, at least in his own mind and the minds of others in Althouse land. Although Jason has warned about bringing Meade's significant other into conversations without warrant, I think it's the case that Meade views this forum as the place to make his name as an insightful and incisive voice of contrarian reason, and thereby legitimate his worthiness as an Althousian commentator. The fact that I think he largely fails at this and that he betrays his rightwing views even as he lauds himself as a moderate doesn't deter me in this view.

And I have an inexplicable fondness for Ned. Maybe it's the moniker; I can just see cartoon Flanders in his Satan guise delivering some of Ned's stuff. It works for me.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com