MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

School districts dealing with budget shortfalls

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: School districts dealing with budget shortfalls

Postby Bert Ernie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:33 am

Earthling wrote:This is an ideology thing that I don't think we are ever going to see eye to eye on, but as I said before I think it might be time for some of you to at least acknowledge that while you don't agree us fiscal conservatives aren't stupid for believing in what we believe.

I don't believe fiscal conservatives are stupid for believing what they believe. I believe you aren't very smart in your baseless attacks in foolish perspectives on what it means to be a public employee. I would bet you don't even TRULY know why you are conservative or how your ideology TRULY affects your world. You seem to be getting most of your information from conservative talk radio or political advertisements. Dig deeper. See what you find. You might just actually be able to LEARN something that is different from what you believed. You may actually engage in some experiences that change your perspective.

BTW: I haven't yet had a chance to chat with administration at Sherman. But are you still standing behind you assertion that there are 3 full time teachers in one classroom, in addition to teacher's aides, student teachers, and special education professionals?
Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:47 am

Earthling wrote:People working 10-15 hours a week had to work their way into that situation usually. I doubt there are as many millionares via inheritance as you'd like to believe. And many of those "old fashioned" millionares still work hard even though they don't nescessarily have to.

This is an ideology thing that I don't think we are ever going to see eye to eye on, but as I said before I think it might be time for some of you to at least acknowledge that while you don't agree us fiscal conservatives aren't stupid for believing in what we believe.

It's clear form your posts that you have very little real-world experience. your claims of the naivete of others are one of the more laughable things on this board.

I don't give a good God damn that they had to work hard at one time, they're not now, and claims that they continue to work hard and flat-out wrong. I won't call it a lie because I think you really just don't know. Aside from being wrong, it's extremely offensive and disrespectful to people who really work hard for a living.

I'm not talking about inheritance. I'm talking about people who climbed the ladder by kissing ass, not working hard. Then they invested and grew wealth by investing, not working hard. I can't believe this needs to be spelled out, but investing is not working hard. Meanwhile, the people who truly work hard, the people who really make the ladder-climber successful, worry constantly about losing their jobs, are expected to work harder and longer for less, wondering week-to-week how they'll make ends meet.

is the ladder-climber the smartest? the hardest working? The most innovative? In my experience: NEVER.

I don't think conservatives are stupid for believing as they do, but they're certainly selfish, greedy, morally bankrupt, religiously hypocritical, intentionally deceptive and wholly un-American.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 am

wack wack wrote:
Earthling wrote:People working 10-15 hours a week had to work their way into that situation usually. I doubt there are as many millionares via inheritance as you'd like to believe. And many of those "old fashioned" millionares still work hard even though they don't nescessarily have to.

This is an ideology thing that I don't think we are ever going to see eye to eye on, but as I said before I think it might be time for some of you to at least acknowledge that while you don't agree us fiscal conservatives aren't stupid for believing in what we believe.

It's clear form your posts that you have very little real-world experience. your claims of the naivete of others are one of the more laughable things on this board.

I don't give a good God damn that they had to work hard at one time, they're not now, and claims that they continue to work hard and flat-out wrong. I won't call it a lie because I think you really just don't know. Aside from being wrong, it's extremely offensive and disrespectful to people who really work hard for a living.

I'm not talking about inheritance. I'm talking about people who climbed the ladder by kissing ass, not working hard. Then they invested and grew wealth by investing, not working hard. I can't believe this needs to be spelled out, but investing is not working hard. Meanwhile, the people who truly work hard, the people who really make the ladder-climber successful, worry constantly about losing their jobs, are expected to work harder and longer for less, wondering week-to-week how they'll make ends meet.

is the ladder-climber the smartest? the hardest working? The most innovative? In my experience: NEVER.

I don't think conservatives are stupid for believing as they do, but they're certainly selfish, greedy, morally bankrupt, religiously hypocritical, intentionally deceptive and wholly un-American.

Clearly you aren't at all envious of the rich and prosperous. Investing, while it may not be "hard work" is taking a chance. If those investments don't pay off you lose. And to say that someone who is able to climb the corporate ladder is NEVER the smartest/hardest working/innovative is probably the most idiotic thing I've heard in ages.
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:21 am

Earthling wrote:Clearly you aren't at all envious of the rich and prosperous. Investing, while it may not be "hard work" is taking a chance. If those investments don't pay off you lose. And to say that someone who is able to climb the corporate ladder is NEVER the smartest/hardest working/innovative is probably the most idiotic thing I've heard in ages.

Oh, I agree it is idiotic that it works that way, but that's how it is. And I ABSOLUTELY stand by NEVER. Do you know why? because the truly brilliant, effective, hard-working employees get stuck in the position where they perform brilliantly and effectively.

It has nothing to do with envy, it is observed fact. Not just that, it's not even a secret to those with real word jobs. the complaints against public sector employees are ASININE. Private sector employees meet and exceed the abuses of the public sector every day, in every way.

Heh... I'm actually chuckling here. This is so completely common knowledge in my work and personal circles, I can't believe it's even ripe for discussion.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:24 am

wack wack wrote:
Earthling wrote:Clearly you aren't at all envious of the rich and prosperous. Investing, while it may not be "hard work" is taking a chance. If those investments don't pay off you lose. And to say that someone who is able to climb the corporate ladder is NEVER the smartest/hardest working/innovative is probably the most idiotic thing I've heard in ages.

Oh, I agree it is idiotic that it works that way, but that's how it is. And I ABSOLUTELY stand by NEVER. Do you know why? because the truly brilliant, effective, hard-working employees get stuck in the position where they perform brilliantly and effectively.

It has nothing to do with envy, it is observed fact. Not just that, it's not even a secret to those with real word jobs. the complaints against public sector employees are ASININE. Private sector employees meet and exceed the abuses of the public sector every day, in every way.

Heh... I'm actually chuckling here. This is so completely common knowledge in my work and personal circles, I can't believe it's even ripe for discussion.

So I imagine you don't believe Bill Gates was either hard working/innovative/smart? Steve Jobs? Mark Cuban? Mark Zuckerberg?
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:36 am

Earthling wrote:So I imagine you don't believe Bill Gates was either hard working/innovative/smart? Steve Jobs? Mark Cuban? Mark Zuckerberg?

I believe they were all hard-working, innovative and smart. I don't for a second believe that that any of them are/were the hardest-working, or most innovative, or smartest in their organizations.

Well, maybe Jobs was the most innovative in his org. I guess we'll see as the future unfolds.

Zuckerberg enjoyed as much pure luck as any businessman ever has.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:36 am

So I imagine you don't believe Bill Gates was either hard working/innovative/smart? Steve Jobs? Mark Cuban? Mark Zuckerberg?

Not sure howyou could come to that conclusion. of course those guys were hard working, innovative, and smart. But you don't get billions off your own hard work. You get it by collecting on others as well. Facebook, Microsoft, and Apple aren't one man operations. Lots of people in those companies work hard only a handful get paid 300 times what the rest do for it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Milw J-S article headlined "Two thirds of school districts will receive less state aid for 2012-13."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/ ... 65035.html

(Madison actually receives more than last year. Information was added to the article on Saturday; I originally posted the link Friday).

The DPI's web page now has the totals and percent lost and gained over last year:

http://dpi.wi.gov/sfs/July1summary.html
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:19 am

More state (taxpayer) money for private schools (including religious schools) and less for public schools.

The state Department of Public Instruction said Monday that 64 percent of districts, or 272 out of 424, will get less money than they did last school year.

Even though state aid increased by about $32 million, the amount public schools will get will decrease over the prior year after about $158 million is directed toward private school choice programs in Milwaukee and Racine.

The nearly $4.3 billion spent on school aid this year is down more than 7 percent from what schools received two years ago.

The state prison system is still fully funded.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Walker's latest budget will cut even more from Madison's public schools.

The Madison School District stands to lose millions of dollars in state aid under Gov. Scott Walker's budget proposal, district officials said Wednesday.

The district is projecting an $8.7 million, 15 percent reduction in state aid, Superintendent Jane Belmore said in an interview.

She cautioned that the amount is a preliminary estimate based on the governor's 2013-15 budget proposal, which could undergo changes by the Legislature.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government