MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

No cabs on State Street: kind of a dick move

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: No cabs on State Street: kind of a dick move

Postby Jademan7 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:06 pm

So he's looking to disperse the crowds on State St. and have them congregate at a taxi stand. The fights will just switch places.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:28 am

We have taxi stands? Who knew?

Being mostly unable to hail a cab on the street in Madison is the reason I've taken about 4 cabs in the last 20 years.

Bar staff on State street would be much more successful in stopping drunks from driving if they could step out on the curb and hail a cab as opposed to telling the drunk to "wait right here while I call you a cab".

Most drunks don't wait.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 am

The taxi stands are new- part of this proposal- which means you should be able to find a taxi. Seems like a good idea to me. I'd expect it to increase taxi useage The buses are mostly done by about 11 which means there will be no motorized traffic at night. (Well- police cars I suppose)
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Azog » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:00 pm

peripat wrote:The taxi stands are new- part of this proposal- which means you should be able to find a taxi. Seems like a good idea to me. I'd expect it to increase taxi useage The buses are mostly done by about 11 which means there will be no motorized traffic at night. (Well- police cars I suppose)

Its not a proposal.

TDP wrote:"I'm not interested in compromise," Soglin said at a Downtown Madison, Inc. breakfast Thursday when an audience member noted she was worried the mayor had already made up his mind and was not open to outside input.

He says he's interested in coming to reasonable conclusions. By this he means HIS conclusions. For the last month it has seemed like he hasn't been listening to anybody, and there's a very good reason for this. Its because he's NOT listening to anybody. All the other things he could be focusing on in this city and his priority is making a target out of our already injured profession.

With no cabs on State Street last night it was deserted except for two police cars. One was on the right side of the road the other one was parked diagonally in the middle of the street to talk to him through the car windows for like a half an hour. So I can totally see why they needed all the space. Soglin's been documented going out on his own to shout at three different drivers. Its obvious he singled us and our trade out like a rabid dog looking for a bone to grind up.
http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... k.facebook
Azog

Postby Piano_Displacement » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:42 am

Soglin is talking out of both sides of his mouth by pretending he wants to get everyone involved while simply wanting to get his own way. Even if you read The Daily article, Soglin basically admits he wants it his way... So why get everyone involved? It's comical. Soglin has truly lost it and I regret voting for him.

But as for the cabs on State Street, I want everyone who's very pro-biker and pro-pedestrian to remember something very important: there are basically 2 versions of State Street, one during daytime hours and one at night. The people and the crowds on State Street change drastically from the daytime hours to the night time. I know I'm saying the obvious to many who live in Madison. But it bears repeating: the bike and pedestrian traffic during the day gives way to people drinking lots of alcohol who want to get around very quickly from bar to restaurant to music venue very quickly in order to meet their friends, see shows, chase a potentially significant other, etc. The people on State Street at night don't want to go for a stroll to enjoy the fine pedestrian mall-like atmosphere of State Street. They want to get drunk and have a good time and get about quickly. Cabs make that happen.

My point is that it makes sense to craft an ordinance allowing cabs to have greater access not less access at night, because that's what people want. Sure, restrict access during the day. But night time-- from about 10 PM to 4 AM-- is a completely different matter.

I was on State Street the night Soglin was shocked to see cabs doing their business. This has been going on for decades. It was a busy Friday night. People were all over and they wanted cabs. Soglin thinks he'll wave his magic wand and they'll all go magically and politely over to a cab stand and wait in line. He's deluded.

Lastly, regarding the night life and cabs, cabs help the economy. Cabs make out nightlife go. Soglin never reached out to anyone from any of Madison's 4 cab companies. He never called them up and said "Let's work together and compromise." He ordered the new signage and demanded people follow. He really is a piece of work.

From his heavy handed talk about Mifflin Street Block Party to his almost para-military comments following the shooting ("We will win.") as if it's literally a war to his stance on signs to how he has treated the cab companies in Madison, Soglin has lost it. He's really unaware of how many people he's alienating in his attempt to "fix" what he things needs fixing in his own special Soglin way. I would have had no problem with any of this if he had reached out to the parties affected first, but instead what he did was issue commands. Now he's backtracking to make it seem that he's "inclusive" and he wants everyone's input. But even when he does this, he's tone deaf, and let's people know it's his way or the highway.

If you agree with the sentiment I'm expressing here, please contact your City alder person and let them know how you feel. Let them know Soglin is anti-business and will hurt Madison's nightlife with his ideas. Please also show up at the Transit and Parking Commission meeting on Wednesday July 11th at 5 PM in the Municipal Building. Let them know that Soglin's ideas are bad for the City and bad for State Street.

I want Mayor Dave or Sue Baumann back.
Piano_Displacement

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:45 am

Didn't they try the cab stand thing a few years ago and it was a failure? If I'm not mistaken it was next to Brothers and it was a clusterfuck.

For years in my college days you couldn't hail a cab on state street. It was a real pain in the ass and trying to get through to the company was pointless. I can't remember how many years ago it was that, all of the sudden, cabs were driving down looking for fares. I loved it. For once I could hail a cab. I even mentioned it to the cab driver who said it was becoming more common. I think it's a huge mistake to stop that. I agree with the above comments that the night life is a completely different beast. I also agree that Soglin's talking out of both sides of his mouth. He is quoted as saying "I won't compromise" then says he'll work with people. Which is it?

I also think the ban on signage is dumb too. I think it's a good way to advertise for businesses and I have never had any issue with them blocking the sidewalk and I walk State Street a fair amount. I think the dipshits that walk 4 or 5 abreast at a snails pace are a bigger obstacle.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Azog » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:00 am

The ban on signage is a totally stupid idea too. What is he doing out there nitpicking people about their ability to make a living? I have never been so disappointed in someone I voted for.

?Another thing about cab stands. Besides being totally inadequate to fit the need of drivers and !passengers, its also unfair to two of the four cab companies. Green Cab and Badger Cab don't get paid by the hour. We don't still make a living just because we sit there all night waiting for people to walk up to us. If there's no one getting in the cab in ten minutes, we are better off somewhere else. On a slow night where there's no business outside of down town we wouldn't just be losing money at a cab stand, we'd be paying out of pocket to be there. Picture going into work for ten hours and instead of getting paid you owe the company fifty dollars, because that's what it would be like.

This idea is just so, so bad. I don't know if this problem is as important to other people as it is to us but things don't look good if us drivers are the only ones Soglin has to worry about complaining.
Azog

Postby peripat » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:08 am

Well the signage and tables on the side walks on State St bother me. though I like to sit there too. Sometimes it is like an obstacle course. At least people who walk 5 abreast can open spaces.
You know there are people on State St who would like a cab but never try hailing one because they believe cabs driving on State have all been called by someone. I think all you're going to lose are the more aggressive drunks, but everyone else will finally know where to go to get a cab. Obviously the taxi stands will require monitors/bouncers though & wonder how long it will last if the police have to spend a lot of time doing that.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Piano_Displacement » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:36 am

peripat wrote:You know there are people on State St who would like a cab but never try hailing one because they believe cabs driving on State have all been called by someone. I think all you're going to lose are the more aggressive drunks, but everyone else will finally know where to go to get a cab. Obviously the taxi stands will require monitors/bouncers though & wonder how long it will last if the police have to spend a lot of time doing that.

This is part of the problem of debating the issue in public. People think they can just "figure out" how cabs work and how it will work out without having driven a cab before. The notion that crowds of people will "finally know where to go to get a cab" is pretty silly. You would not believe how many people call a cab company and they don't know the address they're at or what business they're standing in front of. You've never worked in the cab industry otherwise you would realize that people just aren't sharp enough to magically know where to go, especially when they're drunk and pushy and want a cab NOOWWWW!! People at the airport sometimes can;t find the cab stand and they're sober and it's daylight out.

Which of course leads to another issue that even if you're right do you seriously think drunk people will just patiently wait in groups of 10 or 20 or 50 people and politely wait their turn? It already doesn;t happen that way now. People get really pushy. You're imagining something that will never happen.

There are other issues too, like convenience. This whole process would make it harder not easier for people to get a cab, both earlier in the evening as well as bar time. I think you imagine there would be some kind of "learning curve" where everyone gets up to speed. That just doesn't happen in real life when dealing with drunks, ever changing crowds, football fans, weekend party goers, tourists, etc. You're imagining some kind of simple process that just doesn't happen in real life.
Piano_Displacement

Postby Piano_Displacement » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:39 am

Azog wrote:Besides being totally inadequate to fit the need of drivers and !passengers, its also unfair to two of the four cab companies. Green Cab and Badger Cab don't get paid by the hour. We don't still make a living just because we sit there all night waiting for people to walk up to us. If there's no one getting in the cab in ten minutes, we are better off somewhere else. On a slow night where there's no business outside of down town we wouldn't just be losing money at a cab stand, we'd be paying out of pocket to be there. Picture going into work for ten hours and instead of getting paid you owe the company fifty dollars, because that's what it would be like.

Just a note of correction: no cab driver is paid hourly in Madison. I think what you're saying is true, that the changes would most drastically affect Green and Badger Cab Companies because they rely more on flags. But the other cab companies get paid on commission, i.e. a percentage of each call. So if they sit, they don;t make anything either.
Piano_Displacement

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:46 am

From the previously cited thedailypage article:
City ordinances prevent non-city vehicles from driving on the street, and allow service vehicles to drive only on the blocks they need to service, according to Soglin. Because of that, the city is currently researching whether or not the taxicabs driving on State Street could jeopardize federal funding for the Madison Metro bus system.

Soglin said it would pose a "very serious problem" if cab traffic on State Street were to affect bus funding.

If cabs only drive State Street after Metro stops running at night, how could this be a problem?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Azog » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:51 am

Piano_Displacement wrote:
Azog wrote:Besides being totally inadequate to fit the need of drivers and !passengers, its also unfair to two of the four cab companies. Green Cab and Badger Cab don't get paid by the hour. We don't still make a living just because we sit there all night waiting for people to walk up to us. If there's no one getting in the cab in ten minutes, we are better off somewhere else. On a slow night where there's no business outside of down town we wouldn't just be losing money at a cab stand, we'd be paying out of pocket to be there. Picture going into work for ten hours and instead of getting paid you owe the company fifty dollars, because that's what it would be like.

Just a note of correction: no cab driver is paid hourly in Madison. I think what you're saying is true, that the changes would most drastically affect Green and Badger Cab Companies because they rely more on flags. But the other cab companies get paid on commission, i.e. a percentage of each call. So if they sit, they don;t make anything either.

Okay, sorry I didn't know that.
Azog

Postby Azog » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:55 am

Henry Vilas wrote:From the previously cited thedailypage article:
City ordinances prevent non-city vehicles from driving on the street, and allow service vehicles to drive only on the blocks they need to service, according to Soglin. Because of that, the city is currently researching whether or not the taxicabs driving on State Street could jeopardize federal funding for the Madison Metro bus system.

Soglin said it would pose a "very serious problem" if cab traffic on State Street were to affect bus funding.

If cabs only drive State Street after Metro stops running at night, how could this be a problem?

I don't think it is a funding problem, at least it hasnt been so far, so why would it be now?

If he had waited until a game night in the fall to take his little heartfelt stroll down State Street, there is no way he would have thought this was a good idea.
Azog

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:21 pm

I understand Soglin's point, because the ordinances on the books do not allow cabs to cruise State Street and they've been like that for decades.

For the last few years (not nine months as Soglin has said), cabs have been cruising State Street and the police have not been enforcing the ordinance.

But that's where the people are and I understand cabbies' need to go where they people are.

Cab stands seem like a good idea, but people won't know where they are without a big promotional campaign, and even then, according to those who have experience with cab stands, they won't operate without issues and will require staffing.

A compromise ought to be made to allow cabs to cruise State Street when the buses aren't running IF it doesn't conflict with federal funding requirements for State Street Mall (I don't think it's directly related to Metro).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:22 pm

By the way:

cab : taxi :: water fountain : bubbler?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government