MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

TDPF complaint department

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby Meade » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:15 am

jjoyce wrote:[...]Meade is factually incorrect when he says a certain elder blogger was "pushed out." When we stopped running the retiree's blog, we actively invited him to continue to contribute to the paper and nothing was done about any Forum or commenting account. He could post right now if he wanted to. His absence from TDPF is up to him.

elder blogger? the retiree's blog? So this is what open-minded tolerance looks like to Jason Joyce. Okay. Thanks for making it clear that personal, insulting, stereotyping, combative comments are accepted as the norm at this forum, regardless of the stated policy.

Jason Joyce is an oily snake.

How am I doing?

by admin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:38 pm

If the preponderance of posts from a member are insulting or combative, then that member's account will be deactivated.

Dear admin,
I suggest making a review of posts by member "jjoyce".
I believe you will find deactivation of the member's account to be in order.
Thank you.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:25 am

Playing the victim is very unbecoming of you.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:38 am

I just remembered the name of one of the people that I hate.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:42 am

You could funny it up by replacing that name with "my asshole".

Unanswered questions posed to my asshole.

My asshole trys to defend the indefensible.

My asshole's war on my asshole.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:58 am

good one, my asshole
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:01 am

Ordinarily, I'd say that posting in a thread such as this one while intoxicated is "against my better judgement," but seeing that I have no judgement left, I'm going to take a stab at it.

First off, I'd like to call Jason out on his claim that wielding the ban-hammer is some overwhelmingly tedious occupation. Jason doesn't like banning people, and that's probably a good thing, but it's not like our potential ban-list is so cumbersome as to necessitate an assistant. In the last two years I can think of only two people that probably deserved a ban, and both of them are still posting... prolifically.

Wielding a ban-hammer doesn't take a great deal of strength. For the most part, the folks eligible for a ban are pretty obvious and when you start to think, "hey, this person is really more of an irritant than an addition," it's easy enough to simply run a search of their posts and see what they've been contributing. Failure to offer meaningful contributions should not, in and of itself, call for the ban-hammer, but failure to offer meaningful contribution while posting dozens of posts per week should be a bit of an indication that the person is not really contributing to discussions.

For instance, a decent portion of our resident right-wingers rarely post convincing arguments, but they're not spamming the board with inane commentary. On occasion, they actually appear interested in a discussion, even if their responses and arguments are specious, predictable and trite. I don't consider bdog, Earthling or Bludgeon to be lost causes, even if their dedication to partisan politics is frustratingly boring.

But Meade and Cornbread are another story. Their posts are carefully engineered to create a maximum amount of irritation, without exception. They are the definition of internet trollery. If you run a search on their posts you will find that they add nothing to discussion and the theme of their posts is simply to irritate the rest of the board.

If you've lost interest in moderating the board, Jason, I suggest you pass the ban-hammer to someone who you trust will use it sparingly and wisely. I think snoqueen would make a decent candidate, if she were to agree to the responsibility.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:06 am

Very funny stuff Peej!

Yeah lets make one of the most partisan posters on here the moderator - great plan.

Meade is a wonderful contributor. The thing you need to understand is...there are people who don't see things the same way you do. Clearly you can't tolerate that.

Work on it.

I do think it's funny that you think my support of gay marriage and abortion clinics jibes with my supposed dedication to (Republican) partisan politics.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:19 am

bdog wrote:Very funny stuff Peej!

Yeah lets make one of the most partisan posters on here the moderator - great plan.

Meade is a wonderful contributor. The thing you need to understand is...there are people who don't see things the same way you do. Clearly you can't tolerate that.

Work on it.

I do think it's funny that you think my support of gay marriage and abortion clinics jibes with my supposed dedication to (Republican) partisan politics.

qft

I wish to fondle pjbogart and snoqueen. That came out wrong, I am fond of both. I would say Jason is the PERFECT moderator because he is mild mannered and tends to see both sides of arguments, or perhaps he is conciously detached. I've never had the urge to fondle Jason, well, I suppose "never" is a little strong. The point is ... what bdog said. And a moderator need not be popular.

The right wingers in this forum are NOT trolls, not even close. A couple of them had that rough hewn, slept-under-a-bridge edge to them during taunt fest. But the bad old days are gone, and we look forward to the civilizing triumph of liberalism next fall.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:52 am

You write very well when you're drunk, pj.

I would not want to be moderator. The whole idea behind moderation is to keep things moderate, and to do that one must, in one's soul or somewhere, actually be moderate. None of that applies to me. I am ferociously partisan and have strong feelings about the way I'd like to see things go and how people ought to behave.

Very little of what I'd like will ever manifest, I know, but so what. I also believe talking about the future is one way we create it. To simply have a discussion is good practice, but why does it have to be a lowest-common-denominator discussion?

The moderator needs to be able to recognize good sense on all sides of a question and permit an exchange of opinion while weeding out influences that damage or stop that exchange. The moderator gets to define what that means.

I agree using the banishment axe doesn't sound all that difficult. New accounts are on moderated status and their posts get pre-screened. If someone once banned keeps coming back, you keep them on moderated status for a couple days and then you re-banish them if they're back to their old tricks. Or you can keep letting most of their posts go in the bit-bucket but allow an occasional good one onto the board. As pj said it's not that hard to search someone's postings and see what looks like their intended effect, in the aggregate. What does banning take, two keystrokes? Do you need to reply to their abusive or whiny emails? Of course not. Do you even need to read them once you know what they're going to say? No. Should you feel guilty about this? No. If they need therapy or remedial reading classes or time in a halfway house, that's out of your jurisdiction. The actions of the moderator are for the good of the whole, not the person being axed.

And I really don't think the migrating crane/puke on the bar lady did half as much to lower/derail the level of talk this place as Corn did until people started using "ignore." What in the world is the standard for judgment with that?

While having a place for all sides in a discussion is a lovely theory, in reality the ranter/hater segment of the far right has plenty of places to get together and do whatever they do. To try and keep this forum, whose physical home is after all in downtown Madison Wisconsin, a model of eclecticism is kind of... well, idealistic in a silly way. Funny that I would accuse someone of being too kumbaya, but isn't that what you're trying to do?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:05 am

Before I forget:

I think the present tendency for one-track-mind posters and deliberate provocateurs to set up a topic of their own, which others can avoid or read as they choose, is excellent. That way Isthmus gets the clicks and with any luck an informal pre-screening mechanism is in place so people who would rather bypass that stuff don't waste their time.

Am I wrecking this by calling attention to it?

No way! Have your own mini-blog right here on the pages of the Isthmus forum, with a built-in readership! See how many views you can accumulate right on your own personal topic! Ready, set....
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:10 am

I don't think a moderator needs to be moderate, as both bdog and snoqueen suggest. They need to be fair and cool-headed. It's not a matter of banning people with whom you disagree, it's a matter of banning people who disrupt the board and make TDPF a less interesting place to visit.

I don't think being partisan precludes someone from being fair.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:32 am

I echo Sno's sentiment - you write extremely well whilst drunk.

One who would ban Meade should in all fairness also ban Henry.

Cornholio is another thing altogether...
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:39 am

Meade wrote:How am I doing?

Same as you always do. Laurence Meade being Laurence Meade. I made a crack about your pal's age, as he has about mine. You get abusive. This is what New Media Meade, the Moderate, looks like!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:02 am

So why does "abusive" get a free pass around here?
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:14 am

Somebody...-remember me- perhaps? Anyway, one bad thread ended when remember me said something like "this thread can end with this post if you want it to".

I've only seen it used once, and I think it worked.

I don't think we are powerless. We can self-police TDPF if we want to. So much negativity can be avoided if we can collectively agree to simply ignore people who are obviously just trying to stir up trouble and shit on threads. In the past, I have sometimes broken my own rule against engaging with them because it was a diversion. I won't do that any more. If you don't take the bait, sooner or later they'll stop fishing.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com