MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Air Conditioning service

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Air Conditioning service

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:20 am

I have a window air conditioner that ain't what she used to be.

Does it make sense to have a service tech come-out and give it a freon injection, or do most people throw-out air conditioners after 5 or 10 years?

It is a large, relatively expensive one, or I would just get a new one. Any suggestions on who to call in Madison?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Air Conditioning service

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:48 am

My journey of discovery ended quickly.

I called Hilstead Heating & Air, they don't mess with window AC and refered me to appliance repair, Central Service on Monona Ave.

My notion of a "freon injection' is ancient, that procedure has been illegal for many years. Besides, freon leaks are not so common, and a 10-year-old AC probably wouldn't work at all by now if it had a slow leak.

No, the problem is probably that the mofo is dirty and dusty. It needs an enema. Central Service will clean an A/C if you bring it in for $40. Or they send two people out to remove and clean it. $75 for starters.

Uhhh, I think I will do my best to clean it myself.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Clean (or replace) the filter (that's usually the first and easiest thing to do). Then you could get some canned air (for cleaning out computers). Or a vacuum if you have an extension that will fit inside. Just be very careful not to damage the tubing or radiator fins.

If that fails, just get a new one. Over the last 10 - 15 years, window a/cs (like refrigerators and other appliances) have gotten appreciably more efficient and significantly lighter. You don't move your refrigerator twice a year but ...

A newer a/c also probably has all sorts of timer and cycle controls, so you don't have to run it at full blast 24/7 if that's not what the conditions call for.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:03 pm

canned air cleaner is a good idea. Ya, you're right that refrigeration has gotten more efficient since Y2K, but my minimal needs make that irrelevant.

Mostly I don't want or need an air conditioner, I find various fans perfectly fine.
I have summer visitors for a total of a week or so, and they expect their candy-assed selves to be chilled to 70 degrees. Maybe the solution is the Mayflower Motel out near the beltline.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All