Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Skating at Olbrich
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Central Air

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Central Air

Postby Madcity Expat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:12 pm

I usually try to wait as long as I can before I turn on the air. Some years I make it longer than others. This year, today was the day...93F w/ humidity (in Wauwatosa). The house was like an oven by the afternoon.

Anyone have it on for weeks now? Anyone gonna stick it out for a while longer?
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Central Air

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:35 pm

The older I got, the less I can take the heat. In my 20's I could live with tepid baths and a fan. Now I have the air on and once I'm sure I'm in for the night, I wear panties only or a little silk something. Sure saves on laundry. I just wouldn't want to peddle around town that way :wink:
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:43 pm

I usually wait until around the 4th of July before using the A/C but last week I got home early after taking the car in for service and it was pretty steamy in my place. I usually get home later in the evening and things have cooled off a bit, but at 3:30 in the afternoon I had sweat rolling down my nose and I said screw it.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 pm

We had to turn it on for St. Patrick's Day, but it's only been used intermittently since. Unfortunately, unshaded brick is a heat sink. Sometimes we turn it on in the afternoon, then throw open the windows at midnight. Sadly, by 10 am we have to seal up, close the shades, and turn on the AC.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:41 pm

No AC here. Not some big political statement -- I just don't need it. My house has windows on all four sides, and that's critical. Places with no cross-ventilation and no way to cool off at night get much hotter.

I am sitting in front of a small fan right now and the temperature in here got to 79 this afternoon. The basement is about 64, and I can work down there if I like. I open everything at night or in the very early morning and cool things down, then close up during the day.

I actually have never lived where there is AC.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TeachInPeace » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Another non-AC person here - my Bayview duplex doesn't have central, and I'm a little small to be hefting a window unit around. So the pup and I hang out in front of the fans and are thankful for a big tree, high ceilings, and the intermittent lake breeze. It's 80+ in here right now, but it'll chill out soon enough. :mrgreen: It was hotter in South Dakota.
TeachInPeace

Postby sallybell » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:18 am

snoqueen wrote:No AC here. Not some big political statement -- I just don't need it. My house has windows on all four sides, and that's critical. Places with no cross-ventilation and no way to cool off at night get much hotter.

Yup. I lived for years without AC, but I now live in a townhouse--no cross-ventilation whatsoever. My place faces east, so it heats up fast in the morning. I keep the blinds shut, AC set around 78, and often turn the AC off and open up at night, depending on how humid it is.
sallybell

Postby Twinner » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:26 am

We were doing fine until yesterday afternoon. The thermometers inside the house were reading 89-93 degrees and the ceiling fans weren't taking the edge off. I shut everything down and turned the AC on at 2. Once the moisture is gone 80 degrees felt fine. It was like being in the Black Hills in August.
Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:54 am

Bwis53 wrote:I wear panties only or a little silk something. I just wouldn't want to peddle around town that way :wink:

Um, I'm pretty sure you meant to say "pedal".

So far, it sounds to me like people are gluttons for punishment. We turned our A/C on May 24, which was a 91 degree day. Turned it back off a week later for a few days until the heat returned. I seek out heat during the day....if I'm inside and hear it's setting a record I get outside to enjoy it as quickly as I can. But, I do not sleep well when it's hot. So I have the A/C and ceiling fan for these hot summer nights.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:05 pm

I think I first turned it on in March. I live on the 6th floor with no cross ventilation; it gets hot quickly. I live in a small place so it doesn't cost that much more to live in a comfortable temperature.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Yesterday, our central air did not shut off all day. It was set at 78 and I never saw the thermo drop below 79. At 10:30 I couldn't take it and turned it off.

It's on now, still holding at 79.

On Wednesday I threw a chunk of leftover fish into the trash bin. I can smell it from 5 feet away today without cracking the top. Collection is tomorrow, as will be my random annual hose-out of the bin.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:53 pm

My super-insulated cold-roof little house has been holding between 78 and 79 (first floor), daytime high, with no AC. Upstairs has been around 84. Open all the windows at night, close them all day, pull curtains shut. No oven cooking. That's it. Fans have been sufficient.

House is not surrounded by trees, either.

I never expected this but it's terrific.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:41 pm

snoqueen wrote:My super-insulated cold-roof little house has been holding between 78 and 79 (first floor), daytime high, with no AC. Upstairs has been around 84. Open all the windows at night, close them all day, pull curtains shut. No oven cooking. That's it. Fans have been sufficient.

House is not surrounded by trees, either.

I never expected this but it's terrific.

You just described my hell.

Life's too short to live it uncomfortably.

I'll gladly pay a few dozen bucks over a couple summer months for comfort.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Sno doesn't sound uncomfortable, her house is right where mine's at and I'm super comfortable, it's just costing me more. The one thing I couldn't stand is having the curtains/blinds closed. I don't even like closing them at night.

I envy her correctly insulated house and cold roof. Our 100 yo house could be corrected but it's a lot of work and I've lost interest. I'm kinda over this house.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:06 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Sno doesn't sound uncomfortable, her house is right where mine's at and I'm super comfortable, it's just costing me more. The one thing I couldn't stand is having the curtains/blinds closed. I don't even like closing them at night.

I envy her correctly insulated house and cold roof. Our 100 yo house could be corrected but it's a lot of work and I've lost interest. I'm kinda over this house.
I know what you mean, but I really, really like older houses.
I have lived in older houses with good cross-ventilation and good shade: positively dreamy. Fresh air and coolth at the same time.
I think shade is the biggest factor of all, followed by good attic insulation and over/under windows that let you adjust warmer/cooler air flow. Attic fans, too, I suppose.

But really, I only do AC because of my cats ...
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All