MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Top Five Reasons Progressives Have the Moral High Ground

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Top Five Reasons Progressives Have the Moral High Ground

Postby Schabow » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:49 pm

This week on Rants Without Pants, I'm embracing the liberal elitism. I list (in no particular order) the top five reasons progressives have the moral high ground. In case you want to skip around, these are the times on the video for each subject.

5. Health Care Reform :047
4. Gay Marriage 3:00
3. Voter ID Law 4:00
2. Citizen United 4:56
1. Race & Disrespect 6:38

http://www.shabhead.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... asons.html

or straight from youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAWRIT2WMsw
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Top Five Reasons Progressives Have the Moral High Ground

Postby Cornbread » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:06 pm

I'd be open to actually discussing your thought out five reasons if you would like to. We can do it here, at this board with the people present here.

If not, well, I'm sorry, but this reminds me of spam. I am presently on this board, interacting with members of this board, abiding by the rules of this board, etc. so I'll stay at this board and discuss things on this board.

I don't like going to personal opinion (blogs) because it's pretty much a one way flow of information. I'm more "community" oriented.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:58 pm

If you disagree with anything on that list, I'm up for discussing it. I'm sorry that it feels like spam. That, of course, is not my intention. If I am not following the rules, than I guess I would ask for Jason to intervene, but if not, I plan to post it here. I do these videos mostly for fun and because I have a passion and interest in local and national politics. If you disagree with something, go for it. I'm up for a discussion.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:28 am

It's not spam.

I agree that progressives have the moral high ground, although they slipped during the recall season, most infamously with the Greater Wisconsin Committee mailer that told on everyone to their neighbors na na na na na.

I would ask "so what"? If everyone stuck to the moral high ground we wouldn't be here right now. This country needs people who want nothing to do with moral high ground. That's just the way the world works.

Another funny, thoughtful, passionate, well done video. Thank you Adam.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:48 am

When Schabow's "Rants without Pants" videos propel him to fame on cable news, then we'll all be able to say we knew him when. In that spirit, I have no issue with him posting links to the videos here.

I, too, am all about "community." But minus the scare quotes.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:31 pm

bdog wrote:It's not spam.

I agree that progressives have the moral high ground, although they slipped during the recall season, most infamously with the Greater Wisconsin Committee mailer that told on everyone to their neighbors na na na na na.

I would ask "so what"? If everyone stuck to the moral high ground we wouldn't be here right now. This country needs people who want nothing to do with moral high ground. That's just the way the world works.

Another funny, thoughtful, passionate, well done video. Thank you Adam.

I would disagree and argue that Progressives and Democrats just need to be much, much more passionate, while still holding on to any moral high ground they have within their policies. They need to boast about how their policies are the morally and just endeavors. By the way, that’s going to be a future video. Democrats…Stop Being Such Pussies! The one (and pretty much only) thing I admire about Republicans is there aggressiveness and messaging.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Schabow wrote:By the way, that’s going to be a future video. Democrats…Stop Being Such Pussies! The one (and pretty much only) thing I admire about Republicans is there aggressiveness and messaging.

It would be nice if you could find a way of expressing that sentiment without sliding toward their vocabulary, however.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Schabow wrote:They need to boast about how their policies are the morally and just endeavors.

Oh yuck!

Even if that is your goal you must not come out and say it. The big middle translates that into "my taxes are going to go up".

You touched on it in your health care reform section - convince them this is actually the cheaper way to go (whether or not that is true is a different matter). Add the moral stuff as an afterthought.

I'm looking forward to your pussies video; please don't use the word vagina though...ewwwwww.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Does that also mean liberals shouldn't call conservatives pricks?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Does that also mean liberals shouldn't call conservatives pricks?

No, that would be entirely appropriate. Have at it!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Asshole is gender neutral. As in: Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:43 pm

I really like "wanker".
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:25 pm

Schabow wrote:If you disagree with anything on that list, I'm up for discussing it. I'm sorry that it feels like spam.

No problem. OK, so let's discuss the middle one, #3.

"3. Voter ID Law".

How do you figure any moral component in requiring someone to have a form of identification in order to 'use' that 'allocated slot' of someone to cast a vote?
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:15 am

Cornbread wrote:requiring someone to have a form of identification

That's not really how the law works, though. It doesn't accept the vast majority of ID formats and requires only state-issued ID, and a narrow slice of that category.

Voting is a constitutional right and ought not be limited at all, many argue. ALL citizens have the right to vote, not just those who can get to the DMV by election day. In a society that presumes innocence, shouldn't the burden of proof be on the accuser as opposed to the accused?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:05 am

Cornbread wrote:
Schabow wrote:If you disagree with anything on that list, I'm up for discussing it. I'm sorry that it feels like spam.

No problem. OK, so let's discuss the middle one, #3.

"3. Voter ID Law".

How do you figure any moral component in requiring someone to have a form of identification in order to 'use' that 'allocated slot' of someone to cast a vote?

If you watch my video, it shows video footage from Mike Turzoi at a GOP convention stating “Voter ID, which is going to allow Gov Romney to win the State of Pennsylvania…Done.” Then there was a huge applause from the rest of the GOP politicians in the auditorium. I questioned the GOP’s intent. There aren’t major Voter Fraud problems, so why the sudden interest in Voter ID from the GOP side? Well, the cat is out of the bag. The Voter ID Law suppresses the vote of College Students, the poor, African Americans, the elderly and many others…and that’s why the GOP is pushing this law. They simply don’t want those people to vote. And to me, that's the moral component.

Also, I know it may be hard to understand, but there are truly people so poor and so elderly that they don’t have the means to get an ID. Not everyone lives like you and me.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government