MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

NetFlix Site Down???

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

NetFlix Site Down???

Postby aaron » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:01 am

Has anyone else been experiencing problems getting into the Netflix site over the past couple of days?
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:05 am

Just checked now, and couldn't get there. Not sure if it merits three question marks, but it appears to be partially down.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:20 am

That happened to their site when I rejoined last year. I had a queue of movies going, and I wanted to add some more and shift around what was at #1, and the site was down for an entire evening. Once it was back up, I canceled my membership.

They're an online business. Keeping a website up and working ought to be their #1 priority, rather than peppering me with a blizzard of "rejoin now!" ads in the mail.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:45 am

Breakdown Knocks Out Netflix Site

Email this Story

Mar 25, 7:44 AM (ET)

LOS GATOS, Calif. (AP) - Online DVD rental leader Netflix Inc. (NFLX) is suffering a technology breakdown that's knocked out its Web site, inconveniencing its 7.5 million subscribers.

The outage could mean some customers will have to wait longer than usual for their next rentals.

Company spokesman Steve Swasey says the trouble blocked access to Netflix's Web site about 7 a.m. PDT Monday. The site was still down in the afternoon.

Swasey says DVDs that normally would have been mailed Monday may not go out until Tuesday because the problem also has hobbled some Netflix distribution centers.

Netflix is based in Los Gatos.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:36 am

I think I will just quit using every service I subscribe to because I had one problem or "it went down" once. Online businesses go down sometimes, it happens. I patronize countless online and offline businesses, and occasionally have hiccups. Once a year is not going to drive me to quit.

If you held all products and services you use to the same standard you would never be able to buy or use any service again. Something tells me you didn't use Netflix that much in the first place.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Recommendations are back up. Site appears to have fully recovered.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Gotta agree with boston_jeff on this. I mean, stuff happens occasionally. What's the big whoop? Chances are you've already got your next couple monthes queued up anyways, right? In my admittedly short time as a Netflix user I've been quite impressed by the company (email updates, website, shipping, price).
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:14 pm

I've suspended my Netflix account recently, only because I sort of ran out of stuff I was fired up to rent, but was always pretty impressed with their service.

My only gripe is that they don't seem very proactive about taking badly chewed-up DVDs out of circulation. Their replacement policy is great -- and they get them out quickly -- but it really sucks when you're halfway through something and it suddenly becomes unwatchable.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:22 am

Received today:

We're Sorry Your DVD Was Delayed
Dear Jeffrey R.,

As you may have heard, our shipping system was unexpectedly down for most of Monday. We should have shipped your DVDs but were unable to. Your DVDs were shipped today, Tuesday, March 25th, instead.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. We will issue a 5% credit to your account in the next few days. You don't need to do anything. The credit will be automatically applied to your next billing statement.

Again, we apologize for the delay and thank you for your understanding. If you need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: NetFlix Site Down???

Postby fennel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Alack, these bozos are paragons of incompetence.

Now, whenever I try to visit netflix I get sent into an infinite loop of redirects that are trying to land me on their sign-up page. I smell outsourcing.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: NetFlix Site Down???

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:11 pm

http://www.informationweek.com/news/clo ... /240003096

July 02, 2012 04:44 PM
Severe thunderstorms rolled through northern Virginia Friday evening and Amazon Web Services U.S. East data center, its largest, lost power at 8:40 p.m. The power was restored about nine minutes later but Netflix, Instagram, Pinterest, Heroku and other companies that depend on its infrastructure were affected.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All