MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Trickle-down Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:08 am

wack wack wrote:Are you suggesting the ultra-rich get that way without acting in bad faith at times?

Impossible.

Some probably do. There are dishonest people at every level of society.

The question is - has Romney gamed the system. If you say he has but you have no evidence that he has, then you are being just as dishonest as snoqueen.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:10 am

rabble wrote:Okay. 72 percent of the wealth, 58 percent of the tax. Let's keep talking about that.

Would you like me to start a new thread for you?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:13 am

You posted the 58 percent thing. Why'd you do that here instead of in its own thread?

You opened the door. We walked through. Now you don't like what's on the other side.

Boo fucking hoo.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5995
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:16 am

Meade wrote:The question is - has Romney gamed the system. If you say he has but you have no evidence that he has, then you are being just as dishonest as snoqueen.

How come when rich people do it it's "gaming the system" but when poor people do it, it's "cheating," "crime," "fraud," and "theft?"
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5995
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:19 am

Oh, is snoqueen one of the rich people?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby wack wack » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:38 am

Meade wrote:
wack wack wrote:Are you suggesting the ultra-rich get that way without acting in bad faith at times?

Impossible.

Some probably do. There are dishonest people at every level of society.

The question is - has Romney gamed the system. If you say he has but you have no evidence that he has, then you are being just as dishonest as snoqueen.


I do have evidence: Romney is ultra-rich, a proud resident of the top 2%.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to become that rich without acting in bad faith, at least occasionally.

Therefore, Romney's wealth is evidence that he acted in bad faith, at least occasionally.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3080
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:50 am

Meade wrote:The question is - has Romney gamed the system.

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, Romney has shipped his money overseas. Bahamas, Cayman islands and even a secret Swiss bank account. Why would he do that if he has nothing to hide? And when is he going to release his prior years tax forms?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19587
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:52 am

How rich can a person become without it being impossible for him to act in bad faith?

Also, conversely, are all less rich people honest by virtue of not being rich?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:58 am

Actually, better evidence is provided by Mitt Romney's own father, George Romney.

He was in the running for the presidential nomination vs Goldwater, and both were wealthy men. (Romney ran American Motors, if you remember, and built it into a prosperous company employing many in the assembly plant in Kenosha.)

Romney released 12 years of his own tax returns. He was found to have not taken advantage of a number of loopholes that would have reduced his tax, and his explanation was that he felt it was his responsibility to support his government in that manner. George Romney had reason to be proud of his accomplishments as an executive, and he did not attempt to hide or hoard his rewards.

I would regard hiding and hoarding as miserly.

Gaming the system does not necessarily mean doing something illegal. To the contrary, it implies you take advantage of peculiarities, unintended applications of ordinary regulations, workarounds, and loopholes to your own advantage. Maybe it's the counterpart of "work to rule" actions in a union shop. "Hey, I'm doing exactly what it says I can do" is legal enough, but it's far from civic-minded.

I would be more comfortable with Mitt Romney if he acted as his father did with regard to both openness and appreciation of the privileges and obligations of personal wealth.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11288
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:01 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Long answer, Romney has shipped his money overseas. Bahamas, Cayman islands and even a secret Swiss bank account. Why would he do that if he has nothing to hide? And when is he going to release his prior years tax forms?

Anyone who has, as you say, shipped money overseas - to Bahaman, Cayman, or Swiss bank accounts is crooked. Q.E.D. Is that right?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:06 am

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Long answer, Romney has shipped his money overseas. Bahamas, Cayman islands and even a secret Swiss bank account. Why would he do that if he has nothing to hide? And when is he going to release his prior years tax forms?

Anyone who has, as you say, shipped money overseas - to Bahaman, Cayman, or Swiss bank accounts is crooked. Q.E.D. Is that right?

First you ask if Romney was gaming the system. Now you say "crooked'? Gaming the system, however unethical, is not a crime. Crooks commit crimes.

Do you see the difference?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19587
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 am

I feel sorry for your former students if the subject you taught was English, Henry Vilas. Crooked mean dishonest. Not all crooked behavior is criminal.

For example: Misrepresenting what others say is not a crime. A person might do it out of self pleasure. You can like it or lump it, but it's not a crime. It's merely dishonest. And crooked. But the person who has misrepresented what someone else has said isn't necessarily a criminal, is she?
Last edited by Meade on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby wack wack » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:12 am

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Long answer, Romney has shipped his money overseas. Bahamas, Cayman islands and even a secret Swiss bank account. Why would he do that if he has nothing to hide? And when is he going to release his prior years tax forms?

Anyone who has, as you say, shipped money overseas - to Bahaman, Cayman, or Swiss bank accounts is crooked. Q.E.D. Is that right?


Perhaps not crooked, but definitely Un-American and absolutely unworthy of being President of these United States.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3080
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:21 am

Mitt the flip-flopper. 1994: "The blind trust is an age-old ruse,"

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/mitt-romn ... _7dUVLn_-E
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7785
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Trickle-down Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:28 am

Meade wrote:I feel sorry for your former students if the subject you taught was English, Henry Vilas. Crooked mean dishonest. Not all crooked behavior is criminal.

Not according to the dictionary:
A crook is defined as "a person who engages in fraudulent or criminal practices."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19587
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Stebben84 and 5 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar