MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

I am sick of...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

I am sick of...

Postby kissyfish » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:38 pm

I am not sure about anyone else, but I am getting really peeved by feeling like I have to pay a subscription towards politics to feel like my voice will be heard.

It is abhorrent! When there is so much money involved, I feel like I need to pay a subscription towards politics, which I am certain are remain all fucked up.

When everyone's pockets are already strained, now we need to donate to make sure that our views, which differ from the norm are heard!

I would like to know if cornbread has donated towards his cause, or if he is relying on the corporates to do that for him.

I am staunchly independent, leaning towards Hovde in the senate race, disgusted with walker and Romney, somewhat bemoaning Ron Paul's exit. Where does a real independent thinker go?

The money has to go, otherwise we all will just pay, in addition to our vote to ensure we are heard.

Both parties should be ashamed.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Re: I am sick of...

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:41 pm

With all due respect, I think Hovde has so much money contributions from the public are beside the point.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:44 pm

snoqueen wrote:With all due respect, I think Hovde has so much money contributions from the public are beside the point.

I agree, there is way too much money being used to decide these elections. I donated a bunch to feingold, but to no avail.

The money is the main source of my anger. Itndistorts things.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 pm

kissyfish wrote:Itndistorts things.

That's actually quite beautiful. Initsownway.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:03 pm

kissyfish wrote:I am not sure about anyone else, but I am getting really peeved by feeling like I have to pay a subscription towards politics to feel like my voice will be heard.

I and lots of others contribute to their cause/candidate in many different ways. Cash is king, but unions/media in your pocket are, well, co-kings. This is one of the reasons the Tea Party hit mainstream.

When everyone's pockets are already strained, now we need to donate to make sure that our views, which differ from the norm are heard!

If you are interested in what Eric Hovde has to say, you are way in the normal---OK, except in madison, berkley, etc. You are in the majority in this nation, so just do what you can, when you can and what more can anyone ask of you?

Zerobama got what, $750,000,000 last year and was trying for a billion dollars this year--including unions and the media. It appears that all that powerhouse support can't buy everything as the emperor clown's clothes are falling off very fast. And yes, we all are embarrassed....even me and I didn't even vote for him.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:13 pm

kissyfish wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Hovde

I agree, there is way too much money being used to decide these elections. I donated a bunch to feingold, but to no avail.

You're an independent and you actually gave money to feingold?
What has that lawyer buffoon ever done for anyone other than siding with granola types to stifle everything that could give people jobs and lower taxes?

At least Hovde is from the private sector....and has created jobs.
People like him are what provide the fuel that drives the economy---money, be it his own, or others--say WRS retirement funds--to give to businesses, and they provide, well, quoting:

Vice President Biteme:
As barack says, a three letter word, 'J-O-B-S', jobs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBHPvfAt5ow
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:50 am

The Tea Party has become the front for big money interests that support conservative causes. Think Koch brothers.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:41 am

If you want to get the money out, then term limits for Congress would be a good start.

Much of the corruption involves raising money for reelection. It won't completely solve the problem, but it would help and would be a start in the right direction.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:51 am

For decades a cry for term limits have come from certain elements in the body politic. How many politicians running on a term limit promise have actually refused to run for reelection? Will all those who gained office with Tea Party support quit after a term or two? I doubt it.

Has any of them introduced a constitutional amendment to limit terms or are they all bluster instead?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:56 am

All term limits would do is transfer the bribery to another place.

Abramoff described his practice of “featherbedding” — making job offers to chiefs of staff in Congress. “I started to notice pretty quickly that the second I said that to them,” he said, “they were so incredibly complimented, that from then on anything I asked was just absolutely granted.”

If an elected official knows when the job ends, a job offer like the above at the right time will be even more effective than it was then.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:For decades a cry for term limits have come from certain elements in the body politic. How many politicians running on a term limit promise have actually refused to run for reelection? Will all those who gained office with Tea Party support quit after a term or two? I doubt it.

Has any of them introduced a constitutional amendment to limit terms or are they all bluster instead?

How many have refused to run for reelection? A few. Scott Klug comes to mind. There have been some, but not very many.

On your second question about the tea party, I agree with you. Neither side will do it voluntarily. It needs to me maditory as it is for the President.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:29 pm

rabble wrote:All term limits would do is transfer the bribery to another place.

Abramoff described his practice of “featherbedding” — making job offers to chiefs of staff in Congress. “I started to notice pretty quickly that the second I said that to them,” he said, “they were so incredibly complimented, that from then on anything I asked was just absolutely granted.”

If an elected official knows when the job ends, a job offer like the above at the right time will be even more effective than it was then.

UNLESS, they already had a job and a career that they were planning on returning to after service in Congress because they knew that was temporary from the beginning.

Sure there are some corrupt people that use politics to enrich themselves and postions in office as stepping stones. Blago comes to mind here. It is the responsibility of the electorate to weed those people out. It will never be self governed, and the status quo doesn't help that either. In fact it hurts it by giving an advantage to the incumbent.

A more even playing field with less incumbents at any given time would serve the people better. More ideas would come to Washington. There would be a better understanding of how the people live as the body would be made up by the people instead of the privledged class it currently is.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Cornbread wrote:At least Hovde is from the private sector....and has created jobs. People like him are what provide the fuel that drives the economy---money, be it his own, or others--say WRS retirement funds--to give to businesses, and they provide, well, quoting:

Fascinating.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:32 pm

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Comrade wrote:UNLESS, they already had a job and a career that they were planning on returning to after service in Congress because they knew that was temporary from the beginning.

Uh huh. Sure. That could happen. Lots of job creators are going to run for office so they can help the country. They've proven how altruistic they are, time and time again by paying their taxes without complaint.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government