MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Art Fair on the Square

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Art Fair on the Square

Postby Peanutbutter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:21 pm

DCB wrote:I would really have liked to see Gitmo closed down, though.

Why do you hate America?
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Art Fair on the Square

Postby seemunkyz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:
DCB wrote:I would really have liked to see Gitmo closed down, though.

Why do you hate America?

This has a very misleading title. While I'm 100% sure we all agree that anyone who disagrees with anything the Government says/does hates this country with all their soul, I am actually curious...

Anyone, how did Art Fair go this weekend? It was too hot for me to consider walking around the square. I heard that many people had the same idea as me.
seemunkyz

Postby Beaver » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Art Fair was good as always. Didn't buy anything but enjoyed looking. Midwest by Mideast played good music with good belly dancers.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 pm

One of my friends bought a picture of a silo.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:51 pm

I think this may be why the fair has such a low reputation among artists/craftspeople. It's really a tchotchke fair. Not to say that's uncommon. It's how a lot of folks make ends meet. Doesn't do much for those who have invested a lot in their work.

I gather there are a few moneyed/romneyed buyers who pass through early on the first day looking for quality work, but that's a shrinking sector, these days.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:31 pm

I spent $0 for art, $9 lunch at Brocah, $5 parking, and $1 for a Beanie baby a guy was selling in front of the Overture. So $15 total.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=37253

"The overall economic impact of the fair on the local community is estimated at $25 million, according to a 2011 Chamberlain Research survey. It showed that on average, art fair attendees spent $127 per day on purchases unrelated to the actual art -- namely food, accommodations, and other travel expenses. Last year, artists totaled around $2.7 million in sales, averaging $6,069 per artist..."

$6,000 for a weekend is good. Do that 10 times a year and you have a nice income.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Beaver wrote:$6,000 for a weekend is good. Do that 10 times a year and you have a nice income.

I know people who have done this and it's pretty taxing. It's a lot of travel and it's a crap shoot. The midwest folks I know had to travel down south during the winter. This is a pretty big fair so artists do well. I don't think they average that in many places.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Yeah, 6k is great if it's all profit. I'm guessing most of those vendors aren't even clearing 50%.

And judging by the conversations I've had with them in years past, the average is kinda screwed. A few of them managed to hit this year's crowd pleaser button. A lot of them, even with all that talent and hard work, didn't.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe