MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
kayaks
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

New downtown plan revealed

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

New downtown plan revealed

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:10 am

After years of preparation, Madison poised to adopt new blueprint for Downtown
Years in the making, a proposed Downtown Plan envisions a two-acre park built on fill in Lake Monona, a boardwalk from James Madison Park to UW-Madison's Memorial Union, and higher buildings and denser development in the Mifflin neigborhood.

The plan, which will influence how the Isthmus looks, feels and works for decades, identifies potential redevelopment sites that could accommodate up to $2.5 billion in new construction with more than 4,000 new dwelling units and an additional 4 million square feet of commercial space.

Let the vetting begin.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New downtown plan revealed

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:15 am

So far I'm for it. I like the plan.

I'm picturing a scaled down version of the Chicago Lakeshore near Lincoln Park. It be nice, functional, and a huge attraction to residents and tourists.

We'll see though.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 am

This from the comments section:

When are we going to stop destroying what is good about Madison in order to make it more "exciting" "fun" and "festive"? This push to constantly exploit the isthmus resources is KILLING what makes Madison a good place to live. The quiet enjoyment is being overrun with nonstop noise, festivals, traffic jams, and mess.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... z20tCbfVYf

What the hell does that mean. I'm assuming their idea of quiet enjoyment is sitting around doing nothing. This mentality of letting things go stagnant without any progress ticks me off.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:31 am

The biggest changes in the plan in recent months are in the Mifflin neighborhood and handling exceptions to height limits across the Downtown, officials said.

Mifflin, known for its older stock of student housing, over time would become a blend of residential and business uses in a denser neighborhood with larger buildings up to six stories.

That should put an end to the Mifflin Street Block Party.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:35 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
The biggest changes in the plan in recent months are in the Mifflin neighborhood and handling exceptions to height limits across the Downtown, officials said.

Mifflin, known for its older stock of student housing, over time would become a blend of residential and business uses in a denser neighborhood with larger buildings up to six stories.

That should put an end to the Mifflin Street Block Party.

Honestly that street and those homes are getting so run down it's about time. It had it's charm, but you can only beat those houses down for so long. They've been doing the same thing to the Bassett/Main/Doty areas.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:03 am

That James Madison/Memorial Union boardwalk is genius.
I assume that it would allow bicycles?
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby seemunkyz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:31 am

Dairylander wrote:That James Madison/Memorial Union boardwalk is genius.
I assume that it would allow bicycles?

From what I heard, yes it does. It would be an extension of the Lakeshore Bike Path.
seemunkyz

Postby seemunkyz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:34 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:So far I'm for it. I like the plan.

I'm picturing a scaled down version of the Chicago Lakeshore near Lincoln Park. It be nice, functional, and a huge attraction to residents and tourists.

We'll see though.

-Dan Motor

The only thing I wonder about is the infill of Lake Monona for the extension of Law Park. I guess I would have to assume someone did some research or consultation to see how it would effect the water life, but assumptions are dangerous...
seemunkyz

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:12 pm

seemunkyz wrote:The only thing I wonder about is the infill of Lake Monona for the extension of Law Park. I guess I would have to assume someone did some research or consultation to see how it would effect the water life, but assumptions are dangerous...

The same concerns were raised when the convention center was built, although the infill was smaller than that proposed by the new plan. I believe the UW Center for Limnology was involved then.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
seemunkyz wrote:The only thing I wonder about is the infill of Lake Monona for the extension of Law Park. I guess I would have to assume someone did some research or consultation to see how it would effect the water life, but assumptions are dangerous...

The same concerns were raised when the convention center was built, although the infill was smaller than that proposed by the new plan. I believe the UW Center for Limnology was involved then.

I would guess that the infill was significantly smaller, given that the convention center sits, at least partially, over the water (as opposed to being built on fill).
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:14 pm

The DNR had to sign off on the convention center because it is on a navigable waterway, so they will probably have to sign off on whatever is built next door as well.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:06 pm

The lakeshore path and Law Park boathouse are really minor and "big picture," undefined and far-off components of the plan. I suppose they get major write-ups in the press because they're so big and sexy, but they shouldn't be the focus. There are no solid plans for them. There is no funding. The lakeshore path would require cooperation of a dozen landowners, eminent domain, or filling in the shoreline and DNR approvals ... the boathouse / expanded park would require some major DNR approvals itself.

More important is the REST of the plan that guides growth and private development for the next 30 years.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe