MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby sallybell » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 pm

http://www.thewheelerreport.com/release ... 717lwv.pdf

A thoughtful piece from the LWV. Interesting information on what was and wasn't accepted as proof of residence, too.
sallybell

Postby wack wack » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:00 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Judge permanently blocks voter ID law

Appeal likely.

Can't wait for all the conservative dunderheads to show and tell us how they're smarter than yet another "librul activist judge."
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:28 am

wack wack wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Judge permanently blocks voter ID law

Appeal likely.

Can't wait for all the conservative dunderheads to show and tell us how they're smarter than yet another "librul activist judge."

That would indeed be funny, seeing as Flanagan actually issued his original injunction back in march, after which he was called out for signing the Walker recall. Yesterday he just made the injunction permanent.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Van Hollen issued the expected appeals.

Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen says he will appeal a Madison judge's ruling blocking Wisconsin's new voter identification law.

Republicans passed a bill last year that requires all voters to show photo identification at the polls. The Milwaukee branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and immigrant rights group Voces de la Frontera sued, arguing the law creates too heavy a burden on voters.

Dane County Circuit Judge David Flanagan sided with the groups Tuesday, ruling the law impairs the right to vote.

Van Hollen said in a statement Wednesday he believes the law is constitutional.

Another Madison judge has blocked the law in a separate lawsuit filed by the League of Women Voters. Van Hollen is appealing that decision, too.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:44 pm

This is about the only way in which I would agree that Van Hollen is appealing, I have to say.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Republican Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen, who leads the Justice Department, has said he believes the law is constitutional. On Monday the agency filed an appeal notice with the 2nd District Court of Appeals in Waukesha, a Republican stronghold.

Since both injunctions were issued by separate Dane County Circuit Courts, why is the appeal being sought in Waukesha County? We have an appellate court in Madison. Can Van Hollen just shop for an appellate court anywhere in the state?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:06 pm

in the deposition, released to the press yesterday, Greer mentioned a December 2009 meeting with party officials. “I was upset because the political consultants and staff were talking about voter suppression and keeping blacks from voting,”

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/27/fla_rep ... ack_votes/

Not that it comes as any surprise. I am curious as to the lies and spin Republicans will put on this one especially since it's coming from one of their own.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Or maybe, just maybe, the wheels (feathers?) are starting to come off the totally-hard-core down-dirty-and-mean wing of the Republican party. Maybe.

On this, the only place change can come from is within.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Jeez, you got me all excited, and then I read how the guy is from Florida, and yet facing corruption charges. Let me attempt a retort...

(ahem) What do you call a corrupt Republican with an axe to grind? A leftist from the Democrat Party!

What I'm saying is I don't think this will open anyone's eyes.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 am

96-year-old Chattanooga resident denied voting ID

Dorothy Cooper is 96 but she can remember only one election when she's been eligible to vote but hasn't.

The retired domestic worker was born in a small North Georgia town before women had the right to vote. She began casting ballots in her 20s after moving to Chattanooga for work. She missed voting for John F. Kennedy in 1960 because a move to Nashville prevented her from registering in time.

So when she learned last month at a community meeting that under a new state law she'd need a photo ID to vote next year, she talked with a volunteer about how to get to a state Driver Service Center to get her free ID. But when she got there Monday with an envelope full of documents, a clerk denied her request.

That morning, Cooper slipped a rent receipt, a copy of her lease, her voter registration card and her birth certificate into a Manila envelope. Typewritten on the birth certificate was her maiden name, Dorothy Alexander.

"But I didn't have my marriage certificate," Cooper said Tuesday afternoon, and that was the reason the clerk said she was denied a free voter ID at the Cherokee Boulevard Driver Service Center.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:09 pm

Van Hollen asks Supreme Court to reinstate voter ID law before November elections

Has there ever been such a nakedly partisan Attorney General as Van Hollen? And why is Attorney General a partisan office to begin with?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm amazed that the government can take money from your paycheck and still not allow you to vote!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:54 pm

david cohen wrote:I'm amazed that the government can take money from your paycheck and still not allow you to vote!

David,
You make a very logical point, unfortunately those who wish to advance policies that suppress democracy have there own "brand" of logic. Below is an oldish clip that embodies the initiative...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBAsFwP ... ata_player
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Countering the GOP movement to limit the type of ID needed to register for voting, the GAB will now allow electronic documents. So just bring your smart phone and show the utility bills you pay online.

State board OKs e-docs for voter registration
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Make sure they've got your name on them, though -- not your roomate's or your landlord's or your parent's, or the ever-popular "Occupant." Just like proof of residency on paper.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government