MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
pax
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Mitt Romney 2012

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Mitt Romney 2012

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Do people really think a union worker in Green Bay has the same political leaning as a College professor in Madison or a Baptist Minister in Milwaukee?

That's the cool thing about being a democrat. We are allowed to disagree. There's no purity pledges, litmus tests, or Tea-Bagged primary challengers. Our representatives can represent their constituents, not just their party.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Do people really think a union worker in Green Bay has the same political leaning as a College professor in Madison or a Baptist Minister in Milwaukee?

That's the cool thing about being a democrat. We are allowed to disagree. There's no purity pledges, litmus tests, or Tea-Bagged primary challengers. Our representatives can represent their constituents, not just their party.

And if your particular issue isn't important to the Democratic party, hey, they'll still take your support on what they decide is important. That worked out great for the Marriage Amendment, didn't it.

It's not a mater of being allowed to disagree. I just personally think the country would be better served if people voted for a candidate rather than a party. Of course that would require doing research into what candidates actually believe and not just looking a few talking points and what party a person is in.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 pm

And if your particular issue isn't important to the Democratic party, hey, they'll still take your support on what they decide is important.

You win some you lose some. Just turns out Republican policies don't appeal to me at all so it makes the choice easy. I can chose the Democratic candidate and get some of what I want or the stick it to them over one issue and get none of what I want out of their opponent. I agree more than two options would be nice. I'm sure the RNC is working on policies that would help facilitate that like instant run-off voting, or campaign finance reforms. Oh wait...
I just personally think the country would be better served if people voted for a candidate rather than a party.

That's the problem with Republicans. There's no distinction between the two. Look at our newest Senator in WI. What's his signature issue? Voting party line. Russ Feingold parted ways with his party repeatedly. one of the most independent representatives we've ever had. Lost to the party line teabagger with the huge bank accounts and secret outside money.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:36 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I agree more than two options would be nice. I'm sure the RNC is working on policies that would help facilitate that like instant run-off voting, or campaign finance reforms. Oh wait...

You've seen a lot of effort by the DNC to empower 3rd party candidates, have you? Neither party wants to give up their power to a viable third party.

fisticuffs wrote:That's the problem with Republicans. There's no distinction between the two. Look at our newest Senator in WI. What's his signature issue? Voting party line. Russ Feingold parted ways with his party repeatedly. one of the most independent representatives we've ever had. Lost to the party line teabagger with the huge bank accounts and secret outside money.

Russ Feingold would be the example that proves the problem isn't just with Republicans. I'm not sure of the exact numbers anymore, but a significant majority of voters pretty much consistently voter Republican or Democrat. The goal of most campaigns is to 1) win over the independents and 2) get your supporters out to vote. Missing in that equation is attempt to change minds of members of the other party, because politicians know it's not worth the effort.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Russ Feingold would be the example that proves the problem isn't just with Republicans.

Or the exact opposite of what you just wrote. Russ wasn't primaried out for adopting too many conservative positions but that's exactly what would happen to RoJo if he strayed from his contract with Grover Norquist.

This equivalency shit is false. It's just not true. As like as the problems with both parties can be, and the media can be, the right side of the spectrum is exponentially worse.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:51 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Russ Feingold would be the example that proves the problem isn't just with Republicans.

Or the exact opposite of what you just wrote. Russ wasn't primaried out for adopting too many conservative positions but that's exactly what would happen to RoJo if he strayed from his contract with Grover Norquist.

This equivalency shit is false. It's just not true. As like as the problems with both parties can be, and the media can be, the right side of the spectrum is exponentially worse.

You're missing my point, Feingold was extremely independent, and in the democratic party, that was respected (coincidentally, so was McCain in the Republican party prior to 2008), but he was notable for his independence. If independence from the party was the norm in the Democratic party, Feingold would have just been another senator. Also it's important to note, Feingold's popularity was with Wisconsin (and other) voters, not necessarily the DNC.

More to the point though, I was speaking not about politician, but about voters. Both parties have a strong base that always vote for their party (if they vote) regardless of who the candidate is.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:53 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

yup.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:25 pm

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/07/16 ... seriously/
“Gov. Romney has claimed to have created 100,000 jobs at Bain and people are wanting to know, is there proof of that claim? And was it U.S. jobs created for United States citizens?”

~Sarah Palin, Hannity, January 2012
“He changed his position on virtually everything. I’m a moderate Republican, that’s what I am, so I’d be inclined to support someone like Mitt Romney. But all those changes give me pause.”
~Rudy Giuliani, February 2012
“I don’t think that Mitt Romney can legitimately say that he learned anything about how to create jobs in the LBO (leveraged buyout) business. The LBO business is about how to strip cash out of old, long-in-the-tooth companies and how to make short-term profits. All the jobs that he talks about came from Staples. That was a very early venture stage deal. That, you know they got out of long before it got to its current size.”

~Former Reagan OMB Director David Stockman, on Romney’s job creation experience, Fox News, May 2012
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:46 am

The following is making its way around the web: "I had to produce more tax returns to buy a house than Romney wants to show us to be elected commander-in-chief."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Romney is a hoot:

"In the political environment that exists today, the opposition research of the Obama campaign is looking for anything they can use to distract from the failure of the president to reignite our economy," Romney said. "I’m simply not enthusiastic about giving them hundreds or thousands of more pages to pick through, distort, and lie about."

His defense? Well, they're just gonna lie.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 am

Supplement industry boosts Romney campaign by $4.5M

Overall, individuals and companies with ties to the nutritional and dietary supplement industry have poured more than $4.5 million into campaign accounts benefiting Romney's presidential ambitions, federal records show. The spending comes as the industry is at odds with the Food and Drug Administration over proposed rules that would govern the use of new dietary ingredients.

Looks like the modern day snake oil peddlers don't want to be regulated.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Romney is a hoot:

Romney said. "I’m simply not enthusiastic about giving them hundreds or thousands of more pages to pick through, distort, and lie about."

His defense? Well, they're just gonna lie.
Well sure. He just assumes that everybody thinks like him.

Here's Romney attacking Obama.
Romney wrote:He [President Obama] said this: "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen." That somebody else is government in his view. [...]

To say that Steve Jobs didn't build Apple. That Henry Ford didn't build Ford Motor. That Papa John didn't build Papa John's pizza. That Ray Kroc didn't build McDonald's. That Bill Gates didn't build Microsoft. To say something like that is not just foolishness, it's insulting to every entrepeneur, every innovator in America.

Gosh, yes, its insulting to the late Steve Jobs. He should full credit for personally funding all the roads and bridges in Silicon Valley.

Because here is the full quote:
Obama wrote:Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:57 pm

What's even more amusing about that quote is this little fact:

Apple was established on April 1, 1976 by Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Ronald Wayne,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.

I just want Romney to keep talking and talking.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Poll: Most say Romney should release additional tax returns
A majority of Americans, including almost a third of Republicans, say GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney should release more tax returns than the two years he has promised to disclose, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds.

The issue is one Democrats have been hammering, including an open letter to Romney signed by almost two dozen mayors released Thursday that noted controversial disclosures in the 2010 return he already has released and demanded: "What else are you trying to hide?"
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:12 pm

From the Roll Call, Henry style-- cut and pasted from the net without any comment:

"Facing questions about why she and other top Congressional officials won’t release their tax returns, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) downplayed her previous demands for presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney to release his, calling the issue a distraction.

The Minority Leader faced questions about the issue after a McClatchy News report showed only 17 of 535 Members released their tax returns when asked."

Oh Hell, I got to make a comment anyway, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtin." Oopsie.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government