MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Garage envy

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Garage envy

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:01 am

There are many traits I don't share with what many would call, the "typical American guy". I don't watch sports, wear a baseball cap on a date, or purposely burp & fart out loud.

I do however love me a sweet garage, and that one going up on Ohio Ave between Center and Sommers is making me a little jealous. I'm surprised they got a permit for something that big, or at least that some sensitive neighbor didn't put the kabash on it.

My current eastside favorite (as if anybody cares) is an enormous carriage house on Morrison that looks sadly underused (sniff).

Also fond of the underground one on that mid-centuryish house on Riverside. And the huge barn-like one on E Main just east of the river. And the rambling white one with the shed-roof carport next to the Kipp parking lot on Waubesa. And the 2-story behind a brick apartment in the last block of N Patterson....

Oh I could go on.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Garage envy

Postby Logjam » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:15 am

I like the one on Milwaukee Street with the portrait of David Lee Roth painted on it.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Huh... my very first post on this forum 7+ years ago was about that DLR portrait.

Have I come full circle?

Am I done now??
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:06 pm

narcoleptish wrote:There are many traits I don't share with what many would call, the "typical American guy". I don't watch sports, wear a baseball cap on a date, or purposely burp & fart out loud.

I do however love me a sweet garage, and that one going up on Ohio Ave between Center and Sommers is making me a little jealous. I'm surprised they got a permit for something that big, or at least that some sensitive neighbor didn't put the kabash on it.

My current eastside favorite (as if anybody cares) is an enormous carriage house on Morrison that looks sadly underused (sniff).

Also fond of the underground one on that mid-centuryish house on Riverside. And the huge barn-like one on E Main just east of the river. And the rambling white one with the shed-roof carport next to the Kipp parking lot on Waubesa. And the 2-story behind a brick apartment in the last block of N Patterson....

Oh I could go on.

“He must be a king.
Why?
He hasn't got shit all over him.”
bcs89

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:54 pm

I like the ones that are so old they actually WERE carriage houses, with space for the horses downstairs and a hayloft up. Not a lot of 'em left. I believe there is one on the 1100 block of E. Johnson, odd side.

And unless it's gone now, there was an actual barn (or maybe carriage house, just less elegant) in the 600 block of E. Dayton, even side.

Look in back of very old houses in the pre 1900-era neighborhoods.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:59 pm

I actually met the guy who is building the Taj garage over the weekend. He needs the extra space in order to deal with his vintage motorcycle addiction.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Ahhh, of course he collects vintage cycles. A little twist of the knife is just fine. Probably got a full head of hair and a nice tan too. Jerk.

I've heard the "Taj" tag used for the large but never quite finished shed behind the Glass Nickel.

..on second thought maybe that's the one you're talking about because I think the old garage there was full of bikes.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 am

Stevens Street
Attachments
Awesome.jpg
Awesome.jpg (17.19 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:31 am

Dairylander wrote:Stevens Street

I love that Google Street View blurs/anonymizes the face on this doorway.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All