MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Echo chamber

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Echo chamber

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm

I'm sure that there will be some griping about deactivating the account of an unpopular voice, but when there are dozens of posts like THIS ONE, it's much easier to just get rid of the offender than clean them all up.

So, to be clear, this most recent action was taken not because this is a liberal echo chamber (note that all the accounts of our conservative voices, including cornbread, remain active) that can't stand dissent, it's because somebody decided to throw a tantrum and significantly detract from the quality of discussion here by posting unrelated items in dozens of areas.

Hilarious, and totally worth the effort, I'm sure.

Others have received warnings, which is a lot like the old "three strikes" rule from kindgergarten. What a banner day!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Echo chamber

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 pm

Thank you.

I don't think you should ban people for unpopular beliefs, poor arguing skills, shitty spelling and grammar or minor trolling. But when someone is actively and intentionally trying to fuck up the forum and interfere with others' ability to read it, they need to go.

If you can get away with banning only one person a year, you've got a pretty good crowd (and incredible tolerance).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:47 pm

I guess it's a gripe, but those off topic posts where the very least of his annoying qualities.

It was just getting to the point where it becomes obvious that that trick only works when a lot of people do it, not just one guy with a temper problem.

And creating a thread just so he could make an off topic post in it was, in my humble opinion, classic. There is no better way to say "I'm an angry clueless moron."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:48 pm

rabble wrote:There is no better way to say "I'm an angry clueless moron."

Didn't stop him from trying to find a better one.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Well, you got me there. I'm just saying there were lots better reasons to throw his ass out long before he lost his grip and went nuts.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:15 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm sure that there will be some griping about deactivating the account of an unpopular voice, but when there are dozens of posts like THIS ONE, it's much easier to just get rid of the offender than clean them all up.

So, to be clear, this most recent action was taken not because this is a liberal echo chamber (note that all the accounts of our conservative voices, including cornbread, remain active) that can't stand dissent, it's because somebody decided to throw a tantrum and significantly detract from the quality of discussion here by posting unrelated items in dozens of areas.

Others have received warnings, which is a lot like the old "three strikes" rule from kindgergarten. What a banner day!

It seems like the program he was using was goofed up and replying to the wrong posts. I wouldn't be surprised if peanut was managing multiple accounts on a few forums and didn't get the latest update for his spam software.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:
jjoyce wrote:I'm sure that there will be some griping about deactivating the account of an unpopular voice, but when there are dozens of posts like THIS ONE, it's much easier to just get rid of the offender than clean them all up.

It seems like the program he was using was goofed up and replying to the wrong posts. I wouldn't be surprised if peanut was managing multiple accounts on a few forums and didn't get the latest update for his spam software.

-Dan Motor

Unless you mean that "program" was his brain, because he essentially said he was doing it intentionally in one of those off-topic posts.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:01 pm

He claims that others here have been doing the EXACT SAME THING (emphasis his, not mine) and while he was banned (not true, there's a difference between banning and deactivating) they were only warned. He also threatened to spend his time emailing our advertisers to let them know they're supporting a "filth-riddled" forum.

If you feel otherwise, visiting an Isthmus advertiser would be nice. You can tell them you saw their ad here.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:07 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:

Unless you mean that "program" was his brain, because he essentially said he was doing it intentionally in one of those off-topic posts.

yeah, I missed that bit then. Not surprising considering once it started I quit reading the posts. Takes all kinds I guess.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:11 pm

jjoyce wrote:He claims that others here have been doing the EXACT SAME THING (emphasis his, not mine) and while he was banned (not true, there's a difference between banning and deactivating) they were only warned. He also threatened to spend his time emailing our advertisers to let them know they're supporting a "filth-riddled" forum.

If you feel otherwise, visiting an Isthmus advertiser would be nice. You can tell them you saw their ad here.

Being butt-hurt is a serious condition. It's a gateway to affliction t-shirts and large pickup trucks.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:59 pm

I actually feel a little bad about this because several of us were purposely derailing an inane thread about "Obama lies" with off-topic posts. Butters got pretty mad that his brilliant examples of "lies" were being buried under mountains of kimchi and Skyrim so his revenge was to pepper the rest of the board with off-topic posts. In his mind, he was punished for doing exactly what everyone else was doing, and I can certainly see why he'd feel that way.

Perhaps trolling in the politics threads is somewhat tolerated because it's expected and virtually impossible to police. But when you start trolling the other forums you're bothering people who haven't consented to being trolled. Perhaps a sticky entitled "rules for trolls" would be in order.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:21 pm

If you care at all about Forum being a fun, engaging and interesting place to visit, there are two cardinal rules to observe.

1. Try not to troll.

2. Try not to engage the trolls.

The longer that guy wasn't being banned, the more intent he was in trying to get banned. This is his moment in the sun. I wish I could be happy for him, but he was a bitter, angry, anonymous pain in my ass until the end and I'm sure it's not over.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com