MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:29 pm

McCain Defends Clinton Aide, Tells Bachmann And Others To Back Off

Westmoreland wants probe into Muslim influence

It's nice to see that the Republican Party is perhaps trying to curtail this little embarrassment, but in an era of dog-whistle politics the damage is already done. You can retract your words, but you can't retract the fear and anger that your words cause. Both John McCain and Ed Rollins, who was Michele Bachmann's Presidential campaign manager, spoke up in condemning Michele's latest foray into McCarthyism.

Ed Rollins wrote:"As a member of Congress, with a seat on the House Intelligence Committee, Mrs. Bachmann you know better. Shame on you, Michele! You should stand on the floor of the House and apologize to Huma Abedin and to Secretary Clinton and to the millions of hard working,loyal, Muslim Americans for your wild and unsubstantiated charges. As a devoted Christian, you need to ask forgiveness for this grievous lack of judgment and reckless behavior."

Can we expect more of this heading into the final stretch of the campaign? Will Fester and Ned revive their "Enemies Among Us" thread? I sincerely doubt this has anything to do with Huma Abedin. It seems far more likely to be a way of reintroducing the "Obama is a Muslim" meme back into the national conversation.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby Detritus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:38 pm

That reminds me: Eid mubarak kul 'am wantum bikhair to everyone as we approach the first Friday of Ramadhan!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:36 am

I could care less about Huma being a Muslim. I do care about her being a Saudi and I am glad that Bachman is raising questions. It is shameful that McCain is trying to put the kibosh on her. I hope she will keep investigating and speaking out.

I've been concerned about Huma Abedin for some years and have talked about this in other fora.

Here are a few of my concerns:

1) Although she was born in the US, making her a natural born US citizen, she was also a citizen of Saudi Arabia. Is she still? Has she renounced her Saudi citizenship? When I went looking for info about her I found nothing to indicate that she had. OTOH, I did not find a lot so maybe she did and I couldn't find it.

2) From age 2 to 19 she lived in Saudi Arabia, went to school there and so on. That is more than half her life in SA. Where do her loyalties lie? Is she still primarily a Saudi?

3) For 5-10 years, up to the month before she went to work for the State Dept, she was listed as Editor in chief (IIRC) of her mother's magazine. This mag preaches Muslim unity and so on. I looked through some past issues at the Wayback Machine and it doesn't look too worrisome. I would still question why she was workiing for a Saudi publication while working for a sitting senator.

4) Her mother is a professor at a Saudi University. This would seem to be a perfect opportunity for blackmailing Huma. As Deputy Chief of Staff she has access to very high level and secret documents. Could the Saudi's use her mother to pressure her into getting info for them? They certainly could, do they?

5) She seems to have an awful lot of money. While earning $40,000/yr as an aide she was able to buy a $450,000 Georgetown appt. She now makes about $140,000 but supports 2 households and an unemployed husband. She used to get written up in Vogue and other mags as a high end dresser. Where does this money come from?

6) Does she have a security clearance? She seems to have a lot of red flags that would make one hard to get (Especially her mother) If she does have one, was she vetted in the normal way? Or did the Sec State (Hilary) simply tell the FBI to give her one?

Lots of questions that we could ask about Huma Abedin. None of them have anything to do with her being a Muslim.

Saudi Arabia is not our friend. Not quite an enemy, but certainly not our friend.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:41 am

pjbogart wrote: Michele Bachmann's Presidential campaign manager, spoke up in condemning Michele's latest foray into McCarthyism.

But didn't McCarthy (and St. Bobby) turn out to be pretty much right on the money with almost everyone his committee investigated?

I would say that given McCarthy's actual track record, we need Bachman foraying into McCarthyism.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:06 am

But didn't McCarthy (and St. Bobby) turn out to be pretty much right on the money with almost everyone his committee investigated?

No.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:13 am

What does "right on the money" mean? If it means punishing people for exercising free speech then yeah. Spot on.

Also, getting Burl Ives to testify against Pete Seeger undoubtedly saved us all from decades of country and big band music.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:18 am

John, do you have links for any of the accusations you leveled at Huma Abedin, or are we just supposed to take your word for it? My suspicion is that your bizarre paranoia stems from the same places Michele Bachmann frequents.

And by the way, you certainly don't show much dedication to the United States either. How long have you been hiding in Puerto Rico? What organizations do you belong to and could any of them be considered "anti-American"?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:38 am

I heard everyone who lives in Puerto Rico is a treasonous thug.

I don't have any evidence to back that up, but I also haven't been able to find any evidence to debunk that notion ... so I figure it probably has merit.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:45 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:I've been concerned about Huma Abedin for some years and have talked about this in other fora.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:55 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Saudi Arabia is not our friend.

BTW, Bachmann is a Dominionist.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:07 am

Mean Scenester wrote:I heard everyone who lives in Puerto Rico is a treasonous thug.

I don't have any evidence to back that up, but I also haven't been able to find any evidence to debunk that notion ... so I figure it probably has merit.

I've heard that everybody in Puerto Rico speaks in a strange language. What are they trying to hide?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:14 am

pjbogart wrote:John, do you have links for any of the accusations you leveled at Huma Abedin,

Sure.

1) Start with Wikipedia. She was born in Kalamazoo in 76,

2) Her parents moved back to Saudi Arabia when she was two. She lived there till she came to the US for university. I recall reading somehwhere that she was 19. So she lived 17 of her 36 years in Saudi Arabia. (Give or take a year)

3) Here is a link to her mother's magazine. http://web.archive.org/web/200809241228 ... lboard.htm I was wrong in remembering her as editor in chief. She was assistant editor.

4) See Wikipedia or search Saleha S Mahmood to see her mother's position. Wikipedia says "Saleha Mahmood Abedin, also received her PhD from the University of Pennsylvania, and is currently an associate professor of sociology at Dar Al-Hekma College in Jeddah.[1]"

5) Looking back over some notes that I posted last year about her I find a reference but no link to a NY Post article saying that in 2008 Huma made $48m. In 2009, at state Dept, $149m.

The apartment is located at 2020 12th St but she seems to have sold it in December for $620m. https://www.taxpayerservicecenter.com/R ... %20%202128

Salon says she paid $649m for it in 2006 http://open.salon.com/blog/bruce_majors ... s_revealed

Care you speculate on how a woman making in the $30s or so (in 2006) can swing $649m for an apartment?

6) I have no idea whether she has a security clearance or not. She does have a lot of red flags, though.

Citizenship and security clearance are speculation. The other stuff seems like pretty hard facts.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:16 am

rabble wrote:Also, getting Burl Ives to testify against Pete Seeger undoubtedly saved us all from decades of country and big band music.

Oh, my.

Next you will be telling us that McCarthy was responsible for the Hollywood Blacklist and the Hollywood 10.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:18 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:
pjbogart wrote:John, do you have links for any of the accusations you leveled at Huma Abedin,

Sure.

1) Start with Wikipedia...

Did anyone else LOL at this point?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:51 am

wack wack wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:

Sure.

1) Start with Wikipedia...

Did anyone else LOL at this point?

So she was not born in Kalamazoo?

Where was she born, Wack Wack?

I am not sure what point you are trying to make here. You don't like the source. Fine. Is it, or any of the others I used, wrong?

Are any of the facts I stated incorrect? (Other than citizenship and clearance which I already caveated)

How do you think she financed the apartment? Perhaps she has a rich uncle somewhere. Perhaps she borrowed money for a huge down payment (even though that would be a criminal offense, though seldom enforced)

Any thoughts?

Can you provide any links to anything that is incorrect in my note?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government