MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:11 am

The facts themselves are fine, but you conveniently ignore some facts, such as the fact that if you managed to figure out all this information, so can the US government. Or the fact that despite all these easily located facts, she still hold a position in the state department. Or the fact that there has been no sign of her having legal issue or security clearance issue over any of these items.

So basically, you have a bunch of facts that you want to think look suspicious, but are willing to ignore the fact that people who actually get paid to be suspicious of of government workers haven't seen any problem with her. So clearly it's a conspiracy.

Christ, we're talking about someone who gets mentioned in fashion magazines, do you really think someone trying to illegally influence US policy to support Saudi Arabia would be drawing that much attention to herself or her finances?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2614
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:15 am

Wait for it....the ol' conspiracy theorist fave....

She's hiding in plain sight!
Brilliant!

I wonder if JH has been visiting conspriacy sites:
http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/channel ... 520&page=1
Last edited by jman111 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Can you provide any links to anything that is incorrect in my note?
Can you provide any links to anything that demonstrates that any of these facts add up to anything in need of investigation? You're asking us to defend someone against undefined charges for which there is no direct evidence. Why should anyone bother?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 9016
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby wack wack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:23 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:I am not sure what point you are trying to make here. You don't like the source. Fine. Is it, or any of the others I used, wrong?


I would expect someone so concerned about something as vital as infiltration by a Muslim to start with a source a bit more substantial than Wikipedia.

The entirety of your argument is absurd, making the factual status of your evidence irrelevant.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3172
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:35 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Care you speculate on how a woman making in the $30s or so (in 2006) can swing $649m for an apartment?


Here in America, we think of "m" as denoting "million". Now, I understand that sophisticated, independent thinkers such as yourself only think in Roman numerals, but just to keep the record straight, she didn't pay $649 million for an apartment.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6183
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:54 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:
rabble wrote:Also, getting Burl Ives to testify against Pete Seeger undoubtedly saved us all from decades of country and big band music.


Oh, my.

Next you will be telling us that McCarthy was responsible for the Hollywood Blacklist and the Hollywood 10.

John Henry

Only if you think fueling the movement makes him responsible. He was on board with it for the second wave. I forgot the hollywood 10 were in the first wave.

Oh and I forgot to ask: Are you telling us McCarthy wasn't connected to the HUAC when ol' Burl testified in '52?
Last edited by rabble on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6452
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Michele Bachmann refuses to back down on claims about Huma Abedin

CBS News asked all five House members for an interview about the letters they sent, but none agreed.

In a statement, Bachmann did not back down, saying she would "not be silent as this administration appeases our enemies" and saying she wants a full investigation into the Muslim Brotherhood.


Are you ok with that, John? I mean, if these clowns are really trying to save our country from the invading Muslim hordes, one would think they'd be willing to sit in front of a camera and tell us about it. Our nation is at risk!

In Bachmann's defense, she is on the intelligence committee-- oh, the irony -- so perhaps she's prevented from divulging the sensitive information which proves that Huma Abedin is a secret agent for the Muslim Brotherhood and men who think she should be stoned to death for showing her hair in public. Her cover is pretty convincing too... who would have expected an Islamist spy to marry Anthony Weiner, a Jewish lawmaker who's a staunch defender of Israel? And they had a kid too? Man, she's in DEEP COVER!

Apparently, because Bachmann was unable to cite sensitive information in support of her allegations, she instead relied upon the paranoid musings of Frank Gaffney: birther, crusader and all around batshit crazy media whore who has accused President Obama of having ties to the Muslim Brotherhood, accused Grover Norquist of having ties to the Muslim Brotherhood and accused CPAC of, you guessed it, having ties to the Muslim Brotherhood. The dude was barred from freakin' CPAC!

You like Wikipedia for information, eh? Try this one on for size...

Frank Gaffney

Gaffney continued this theme in on February 24, 2010, in his column on Andrew Breitbart's BigGovernment blog, when Gaffney attacked the administration's plans to modernize and update the missile defense program as "US submission to Islam" from "an Alinsky acolyte", citing as evidence the redesigned logo of the Missile Defense Agency.

"Team Obama’s anti-anti-missile initiatives are not simply acts of unilateral disarmament of the sort to be expected from an Alinsky acolyte. They seem to fit an increasingly obvious and worrying pattern of official U.S. submission to Islam and the theo-political-legal program the latter’s authorities call Shariah.

"What could be code-breaking evidence of the latter explanation is to be found in the newly-disclosed redesign of the Missile Defense Agency logo.... As Logan helpfully shows, the new MDA shield appears ominously to reflect a morphing of the Islamic crescent and star with the Obama campaign logo."

However, Al Kamen reports that the new Missile Defense Agency logo is over three years old and was actually developed during the George Bush administration.


Holy fuck! And this nut has the ear of US Representatives? I think an investigation might be in order after all.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6183
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby Detritus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:51 pm

Speaking of dividing loyalties, didn't Bachmann try to get dual citizenship with Switzerland just a few short months ago? What's the matter with good old US citizenship?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2507
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Since my family has been here since before the Revolutionary War I want every other person out of this country that came after us.

That means Catholics, Irish, Eastern Europeans, Japanese, Italians, Blacks (no wait they were here then as slaves mostly....they can stay if they prove their lineage back to the 1770s), Jews, Muslims. Any immigrant that came should leave.

America is for WASPs only!

Just don't ask the Native Americans if they want us to leave.

Sarcasm off.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:Saudi Arabia is not our friend.


I will see your Bush handholding and raise you an Obama bow.

the handholding might indicate that Bush thinks they are our friends. The bow would seem to indicate that Obama thinks they are our masters.

Regardless of what two presidents seem to think, I don't think they are our friends.

Do you, Henry?

Image

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:42 pm

pjbogart wrote:And by the way, you certainly don't show much dedication to the United States either. How long have you been hiding in Puerto Rico?


Another sad example of public schools. Didn't take any geography courses, did you, PJ?

Puerto Rico is an integral part of the United States. Puerto Ricans have identical citizenship status to someone born in NY, Texas or even Wisconsin.

So I have no idea what you are talking about here.

As for "hiding" I am sorry to hear that. I have been doing my darndest for the past 20 years or so to get my name as publically recognized as possible. I thought I had been doing a fairly good job. I am certainly not trying to "hide"

Any more than you are "hiding" in Wisconsin (or wherever)


What organizations do you belong to and could any of them be considered "anti-American"?[/quote]

Currently Seventh Day Adventist Church, Institute of Packaging Professionals, Institute for Pharmaceutical Engineering.

In years past I have been a member of the National Rifle Association, ASHRAE, World Cogeneration Society, American Society for Training and development, and the International Workers of the World.

I think that pretty well covers it.

How bout you? What organizations do you belong to?
since we are baring our souls.

Oh, also a minister in the Universal Life Church of Modesto CA. If anyone wants to come to PR to get married, give me a jingle.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:00 pm

It is a sad fact that far too many people confuse Senator McCarthy with the House Committee on Unamerican Activities (HCUA but often miscalled HUAC)

We saw a recent example of that here.

HCUA was a House committee that ran from 47 to 75, mainly chaired by Demmies. It investigated many people for what they considered unamerican activities. Pete Seeger was one. The Hollywood 10 were others, antiVN war protesters in the 60s and 70s and lots of others in between.

It was a pretty shameful period when congress was investigating private citizens for exercising their right to speech. "Thirty Years of Treason", if you can find a copy, is a pretty good book on the subject.

Yet, for some reason, we seldom hear of them.

McCarthy, OTOH, was investigating government employees, and some contractors, who had security clearances. He was questioning whether they posed security risks. This seems a perfectly reasonable function of Congress (either House or Senate or both).

Virtually all of the people investigated have turned out to have been providing information to Russia, though we did not find much of this out until after the fall of the Soviet Union.

In that sense, Bachman's letter requesting an investigation of possible security risks in the State Dept seems perfectly reasonable.

BTW: Bachman's letter does not mention Huma Abedin by name. I think we might be able to infer it is about her but it does not mention her name.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:14 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Here in America, we think of "m" as denoting "million".


Here in America, or more specifically the US, m is commonly used in business and manufacturing to denominate thousands. (mm for millions)

I work all over the US, and have students from all over the US as well as many international students. "m" for thousands, especially dollars, has never been a problem.

I'll try to remember to use the extra 0s in the future for the math challenged.

As you say, just to keep the record straight, she paid $649,000 for the apartment on a salary of less than $40,000/yr. Figure she took home $2,500/month. Mortgage payments, not counting taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc, would have been almost $3000/month (550,000 financed, 5%, 30 years). Not a bad trick if you can do it. I'd like to be able to try it. I suspect that my bank would laugh at me. I wouldn't blame them.

I am still curious where the money came from.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:23 pm

rabble wrote:Oh and I forgot to ask: Are you telling us McCarthy wasn't connected to the HUAC when ol' Burl testified in '52?


Oh, rabble. Oh My. I just don't know how to break the news to you but let me try.

Senator McCarthy was in the US Senate

The HCUA (not HUAC) was a HOUSE committee

Two different organizations.

Also McCarthy died in 1957 and HCUA continued until 1975. Are you saying that he was running this from beyond the grave?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Are You or Have You Ever Been a Muslim?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:32 pm

rabble wrote:Oh and I forgot to ask: Are you telling us McCarthy wasn't connected to the HUAC when ol' Burl testified in '52?


Forgot to mention that I did click the link. Hard to put too much faith in a site that can't even get the name of the committee right.

Or that Miller's play "The Crucible" was about HCUA not McCarthy.

But go ahead. Keep plucking that chicken.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar