MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Do you get enough sleep?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Do you get enough sleep?

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:37 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Do you get enough sleep?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:21 am

No, but it's nice to see the majority of my neighbors and co-workers do.

I knew there was a reason I hated those chipper bastards
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:24 am

It's a problem. I find myself going to bed earlier and earlier just so I can get up at a normal hour, on the assumption that I'm going to be awake in the night.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 pm

No - but then, I have extenuating circumstances. Namely, an unbelievably hot new girlfriend.

Meh - I'll sleep when I'm dead.

...The grave's a fine and private place
But none, I think, do there embrace...

- Andrew Marvell, "To His Coy Mistress"
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Ranked 5th for most complainers about sleep is more like it.

What are people doing? Certainly not working. Partying? Maybe the college students but restaurants are ghost-towns by 10PM even on weekends.

So why no sleep? Old? Lots of love? TV? I don't get it. What are people doing here? Its not like its a bustling nightlife here or a work-to-the-bone commuter city.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:42 pm

yawn... zzzzz.

thanks, Crock. Needed that.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:55 pm

What is your point, Henry? Do you agree with the "story"? Are we really in sixth place or third? Are the trains too loud? Do the lions roaring at the zoo keep you up at night? Perhaps you just can't resist posting meaningless web links? Do you feel other people can't follow the news as well as you do and need your help? An article in Madison.com can't be found by your average foron? Why do you just post links yet offer no opinion or comment of your own?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:57 pm

I guess you don't get enough sleep, that or maybe you just have a lousy disposition.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:05 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:It's a problem. I find myself going to bed earlier and earlier just so I can get up at a normal hour, on the assumption that I'm going to be awake in the night.

Hmm, this caught my attention because all of my life I have never had any trouble sleeping, then all of a sudden this summer it is becoming increasingly difficult to stay asleep at night. It makes me wonder if there isn't an environmental factor in the area that is causing this trend.

Or it could be nothing...
seemunkyz

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:18 am

It's the crap weather. I was in San Francisco in February, which is maybe the best time to be there, and slept like a baby. Same goes for a visit to Minnesota in mid-June when a lake breeze blew through the windows of our cabin.

I'm sure there will be two weeks in late August to early September when I'll be exceptionally well rested and energetic.

But Madison's weather, for the vast majority of nights, is garbage. It's either hot and muggy or frigid. For the fortunate, that means running the air conditioner or the furnace, which means using machines that turn on and off throughout the night pushing around dust.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:05 pm

jjoyce wrote:It's the crap weather. I was in San Francisco in February, which is maybe the best time to be there, and slept like a baby. Same goes for a visit to Minnesota in mid-June when a lake breeze blew through the windows of our cabin.

I'm sure there will be two weeks in late August to early September when I'll be exceptionally well rested and energetic.

But Madison's weather, for the vast majority of nights, is garbage. It's either hot and muggy or frigid. For the fortunate, that means running the air conditioner or the furnace, which means using machines that turn on and off throughout the night pushing around dust.

This definitely could play a role, but everyone seems to have different opinions about what good sleeping conditions are, so there must be more to it. My other thought is that because of the extreme conditions people aren't getting as much exercise, thus have more energy, thus can't sleep. I have been trying to take the stairs at work, and do extra pushups, etc to keep my energy levels down. Has helped a little, but there's still something else to it.

This study I would hope is also from a long period of time, meaning it would also be more than weather. I was thinking along the lines of a new industry or infrastructure coming to town that creates interference with our brain patterns like HARP, or is releasing a particular pollutant, etc. Or possibly some experiment at UW that is having unforseen consequence.
seemunkyz

Postby Beaver » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I guess you don't get enough sleep, that or maybe you just have a lousy disposition.

LOL. Great comeback. It is an interesting study and I don't know why Madison ranks high. I blame it on Walker and tea party republicans. I slept well when Doyle was gov and Obama wasn't under attack.

Here is another ranking. Madison is #1 place for young adults:

http://host.madison.com/business/real-e ... f887a.html
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe