MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Need a local pro to wire a house with Cat5

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Need a local pro to wire a house with Cat5

Postby jammybastard » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:07 am

I need a pro to snake some Cat5 through the trickier parts of my place. Who does cable/fiber installs in town?
Electrical installers?
Thanks.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Need a local pro to wire a house with Cat5

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Check out Mad City Broadband (the people who run the downtown wifi networks). I know they at least did commercial installs at one time ... they might do residential.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:13 am

I'd shy away from contractors that are used to wiring businesses if you're able. I've had past experiences where they've been all-too-spoiled by plenum installations in businesses and they're rapidly stymied when residences don't have drop ceilings or ductwork to abuse.

Try reaching out to an alarm installer. They're very much used to doing low-profile installs in homes.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:18 am

Just curious, as long as you're running cable, why not future proof with Cat 6?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:25 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Just curious, as long as you're running cable, why not future proof with Cat 6?

You can generally pull gigabit over quality Cat 5e without any problems. It's not certified for it, but it'll work just fine. You want to keep your runs as short as possible, but you should already be doing that anyway.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Petro wrote:I'd shy away from contractors that are used to wiring businesses if you're able. I've had past experiences where they've been all-too-spoiled by plenum installations in businesses and they're rapidly stymied when residences don't have drop ceilings or ductwork to abuse.

Try reaching out to an alarm installer. They're very much used to doing low-profile installs in homes.

This sounds like excellent advice.

I also wonder about those "trickier parts." I assume a contractor want to do and be paid for all the work, not just the unpleasant piece for somebody else's handywork. Just a guess.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Just curious, as long as you're running cable, why not future proof with Cat 6?

Well,that ruins my Mr. Mom joke.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Look Ma, no wires:

http://www.iogear.com/product/GWU627/

I splurged and upgraded my wireless to the high-end of current 802.11n last year. 5Ghz, wide channels bonded for a total of 450mb/s of throughput. It's nice, backups via wifi account for the vast majority of my use of it.

It's still no substitute for good 'ol GbE, though. If I have to move a bunch of files, I plug into ethernet. I wouldn't recommend wifi (especially that 2.4ghz based box) to anyone as a replacement for a solid ethernet install. The tech just isn't there yet.

I'm pretty excited about upcoming developments like 802.11ac & especially emerging tech like SDR that might drastically change the way we utilize RF spectrum, but ethernet's still very useful today.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:20 am

Petro wrote:
Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Look Ma, no wires:

It's still no substitute for good 'ol GbE, though. If I have to move a bunch of files, I plug into ethernet. I wouldn't recommend wifi (especially that 2.4ghz based box) to anyone as a replacement for a solid ethernet install. The tech just isn't there yet.

I'm reminded of something Dave Rogers (of Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse) said to me once. "A ten dollar guitar cable is more reliable than a seven hundred dollar wireless unit."
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:28 am

I've had nothing but trouble trying to stream video over my wireless LAN. Theoretically it should work, but it doesn't. So I just ran Cat 5 on the floor here in our rental house. The WAF is stable.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:43 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:I've had nothing but trouble trying to stream video over my wireless LAN. Theoretically it should work, but it doesn't. So I just ran Cat 5 on the floor here in our rental house. The WAF is stable.

The overwhelming majority of wifi gear that's in use in the wild is all sharing the 2.4ghz spectrum. In addition to sharing that spectrum with other wifi devices, that airspace is shared with bluetooth devices, baby monitors, wireless cameras and even microwaves. (Although you'd generally hope that those didn't leave the cozy confines of the oven.)

Compounding that issue, pretty much every router manufacturer on the planet defaults to channel 6. Oftentimes, checking with something like Meraki's Wifi Stumbler (Java required) and finding the most sparsely occupied channel in your surroundings is all that's needed to resolve many intermittent wifi issues.

The other option is to try and move your wifi traffic up to 5Ghz, which is pretty much unused by all but a small fraction of wifi users. The downside is that this winds up being more expensive than just carefully stringing some etherhose down the hallway.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:45 am

Wired connections also are easier to troubleshoot. To wifi in the home for purposes not involving mobile devices I say feh.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:31 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Wired connections also are easier to troubleshoot. To wifi in the home for purposes not involving mobile devices I say feh.

Are you available for a little neighborly assistance? I use wifi in my ancient apartment building, with cable access a distant corner from my office.

I look forward to admiring your cable-pulling technique.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:05 pm

At any time but this! I'm busy packing for the big move.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games