MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Random Questions

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Random Questions

Postby bleurose » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Sigh - you are probably all right. No, no problem here with pig wrasslin' as long as it is real pigs and not fat boobs which so many people wished they didn't have to see falling out of the shirt.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:19 pm

“what’s the best thing about” being thirtyfive and having to start all over (i.e., from “scratch”)?

if anyone knows, please enlighten me.

when I flunked out of chemistry and had to quit trying to be an engineer, my prof told me to “have a nice life.” i was tryin, butt
it didn’t work out so well fer me.

butt, re: chemistry, i think we should take the silicon out of fake boobs and shoot it up in the atmosphere; that is, to fix the ozone layer. just an idea, cause like J. Depp (who doesn’t watch his own shows), i don’t re-read my own posts, so if you cite me, i prob. won’t get it; i'm just that BIG of an idiot!

A.P. Freitag

P.S. That one’s for you ned 2. forons: google “ned flanders,” it’s kinda funny, and No Doubt that ain’t you’re REAL name, a-hole.

P.S.S. Anyone watch all the commentary that came with Unbearable Lightness? Good stuff.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:01 pm

city2countrygal wrote:“what’s the best thing about” being thirtyfive and having to start all over (i.e., from “scratch”)?

if anyone knows, please enlighten me.

I will not presume to say that anything about it qualifies as being best of anything but I started all over at 33 and again at 40.

Looking back at it about 20 years later, I find myself thinking..

Um.

Damn. It still sucks. I ended up okay and the other directions I was going would almost certainly have been worse than where I landed but damn. It sucked.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:09 pm

narcoleptish wrote: Does anyone else hear those weird sounds in the sky 5 to 15 seconds after the big planes fly over? (on the eastside flight path) I don't know how to describe them other than swooshing sounds. It's not the afterburner sound from the direction of the airport.

The sound itself is pretty much caused by the energy displaced from the plane moving air around as mentioned earlier. The reason it is 5-15 seconds after you see the plane is simple physics. The speed of light is a million times faster than the speed of sound. So while you are able to see the planes immediately, it takes a while for the sound to reach you. Both effects are eccentuated by the fact that the planes are flying much faster than a commercial aircraft (thus the sound is "different" than a normal plane, and you'll hear the sound usually after the planes are long gone. Same principle with lightning, far away fireworks, and gunshots. You'll see the flash long before the sound.

narcoleptish wrote: Why are all mens shirts so fucking long these days? I'm average height (5'8") and I can either look like a dork with 15 inches of fabric tucked into my pants or I can look like I'm wearing a short dress.

*Sigh* I wish I knew this one. Between shirts that are too long/oddly shaped, and pants that are intended for someone with anarexia, I hate men's fashion these days.

And a note on the other topic in this thread, while I can appreciate someone feeling self confident, etc, please cover up your rolls. Apparently you and your dirty looking boyfriend are the only ones who actually want to see it. If you want to show it off, go to the beach or the bedroom. State St. is not the place to be jiggling around out in the open.
seemunkyz

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:20 pm

seemunkyz wrote:
narcoleptish wrote: Why are all mens shirts so fucking long these days? I'm average height (5'8") and I can either look like a dork with 15 inches of fabric tucked into my pants or I can look like I'm wearing a short dress.

*Sigh* I wish I knew this one. Between shirts that are too long/oddly shaped, and pants that are intended for someone with anarexia, I hate men's fashion these days.

Same reason that men's pant waist sizes are several inches larger than the number. Size 36 is actually more like 40.

The clothing companies are designing for the largest segment of the population and the largest segment is large. Really large.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:39 pm

yaaaaaaaaaaaawwn . . . . . .

Sorry for the delayed response, but like Garfield, I hate mornings as well as Mondays.

So Third Time’s a Charm then rabble?

(A) What’s better than a walk in the woods during a rain Tues morn? (keeping it OS with J-5) [Hint: Midnight in Paris]

(B) Anyone know a good place in the Madison-area for birdwatching?
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:01 pm

city2countrygal wrote: Anyone know a good place in the Madison-area for birdwatching?

Cherokee Marsh.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Edna Taylor Conservation Park- next to the Aldo Leopold Nature Center in Monona- is convenient.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:27 pm

city2countrygal wrote:So Third Time’s a Charm then rabble?

I think it's more like one foot in front of the other.

I'll second for Cherokee Marsh, but picnic point is good. And Olbrich Gardens and Starkweather creek.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks for the recs, ya'll!

And thanks rabble, I'll just be me :wink:
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:58 am

city2countrygal wrote:(B) Anyone know a good place in the Madison-area for birdwatching?

Pheasant Branch Conservancy in Middleton is really good for bird watching too.
seemunkyz

Postby wallrock » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 pm

seemunkyz wrote:
city2countrygal wrote:(B) Anyone know a good place in the Madison-area for birdwatching?

Pheasant Branch Conservancy in Middleton is really good for bird watching too.

Yes, definitely. And there is a spur off the main trail that leads to a bird watching post overlooking the water.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:44 pm

I was reading about the Orpheum troubles. If I suddenly became rich, could I buy the Orpheum, restore it and live in it?

I've seen pictures of people who live in theaters, churches, etc. I have always been intrigued by the idea of buying an old theater or church and living in it. Currently, a home theater is out of my budget so it is highly unlikely to happen.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:08 am

Why does a certain conservative foron think that Boston's enforcement of its anti-discrimination/public accommodation laws against an anti-gay food chain amounts to fascism?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:26 am

Why the recent uptick in "teleprompter" criticisms?
Haven't we been down this road before?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All