MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Democrat ran Milwaukee dumping raw sewage into L. Michigan

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Democrat ran Milwaukee dumping raw sewage into L. Michig

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:09 am

This has to be the fault of Bush/Cheney.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:26 am

Yeah, funny how Cornbread is suddenly becoming an environmentalist, but this is his schtick. He's basically saying, "Hey, aren't you guys (liberals) supposed to be the environmentalists, here?", even though this problem would have occurred and will continue to occur under a Republican or a Democrat.

How can somebody complain about stormwater/sewage effluent runoff on the one hand, ridicule environmental regulations on the other hand, and oppose government spending on the third hand, while trying to use government transit money for sewer remediation and trying to blame everything on the Democrats when it was carried out under both parties?

Ya got me, but this guy keeps trying.

The troll-feeding warning is right -- this person is just throwing mud at a wall to see what sticks and has no consistent viewpoint at all, so there's no point in trying to straighten out his thinking. A reactionary is somebody who reacts mindlessly and blindly to immediate stimuli without developing a consistent theoretical foundation, and that's what we see here.

At the same time he provides a valuable service. We now know a lot more about Great Lakes water quality legislation than we did before, just as we know a lot more about environmental issues in the sand counties and several more topics. And the facts repeatedly boil down to this: people in general -- both in and out of government -- are trying to do the best they can for their property values, their communities, their financial well-being, and the environment present and future. I feel optimistic every time I go past the nonsense and dig up background on one of these topics.

So while I still find admin's refusal to close down this guy's account indefensible, we might as well play the hand we're dealt. And it's turning out to be not only playable, but a good hand -- same as the D-man stuff turned out to be.

I'm willing to keep doing the research (as time permits) as long as others remain interested and keep contributing -- it's strangely worthwhile.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:40 am

Ned Flanders wrote:This has to be the fault of Bush/Cheney.

Surprised you would think that, Ned. What makes you say that?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:40 pm

lukpac wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:This has to be the fault of Bush/Cheney.

Surprised you would think that, Ned. What makes you say that?

I think he feels bad because he's getting out trolled by Cornbread.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm not sure what Cornie's thing here is, but I worked with many Republicans/conservatives on environmental issues in the West. Because wealthier Republicans often own high value property in nice places (lakeside or in the mountains) they aren't that keen on developments or activities that render their property less useful/valuable for their purposes (recreation and retirement, usually, though they may have hobby ranches for tax purposes). Then there are the real ranchers, who have a love/hate relationship with the environment, but who can often be counted on when it involves fighting pollution from anything but cattle, or if endangered species aren't involved.

A lot of conservatives use Cornie's over-the-top vernacular because they don't know better, but when it comes right down to it, they do care about the environment. I guess I'm used to not taking the bait and addressing real issues.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Donald wrote:I'm not sure what Cornie's thing here is....

He's strictly in it for the lulz.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:35 pm

snoqueen wrote:[Cornbread]
At the same time he provides a valuable service.

:D
I should charge ya'll for my forcibly exposing yous to life outside of the black hole of madison. But I won't--ya'll are my charity work...

So while I still find admin's refusal to close down this guy's account indefensible, we might as well play the hand we're dealt.

*gasp!* shields up! Intruder alert, intruder alert!

Life's more than a matt groenig strip.....I think Calvin and Hobbes is more appropriate.

it's strangely worthwhile.

I'm addicting. Free thought is like that...................
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:10 am

Cornbread wrote:I should charge ya'll for my forcibly exposing yous to life outside of the black hole of madison. But I won't--ya'll are my charity work...

*gasp!* shields up! Intruder alert, intruder alert!

Life's more than a matt groenig strip.....I think Calvin and Hobbes is more appropriate.

I'm addicting. Free thought is like that...................

You're a troll, Cornbread. You know it and so does everybody else here. You'd love to think that it's liberals don't want to hear differing points of view, but you're deliberately antagonistic and insulting and then try to play the persecuted conservative role. There's nothing wrong with heated debate, and I can't stress enough how much I want to hear different points of view, because if everybody just agrees all the time, we never learn anything, but that's not what you're doing. You obviously get off on the attention and riling people up for the sake of riling people up, which is sad and a waste of time, but this is trolling.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Cornbread » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Slick Willy wrote:You obviously get off on the attention and riling people up for the sake of riling people up, which is sad and a waste of time, but this is trolling.

You obviously took my last part to heart. Guess it's true that leftists don't have any sense of humor....
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:09 am

You don't think Norman Lear has a sense of humor? Really?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:48 am

Cornbread wrote:You obviously took my last part to heart. Guess it's true that leftists don't have any sense of humor....

Are you even capable of not being insulting? Does it make you feel superior somehow to think that "leftists" don't get you or your attempts at humor, which are always derogatory on some level? You use a weak rhetorical strategy of attacking, then when foron's react accordingly, you essentially say, " Hey, what are you all getting so worked up about? I was just kidding!"

Humor is a mainstay of these forums, and liberals are far more critical of each other and traditionally liberal issues than I ever see amongst conservatives. When someone like you starts a thread clearly aimed at attacking Barrett and not having much of anything to do with the actual issue, which you'd never have brought up if it were a Republican mayor, then people see you as a troll and aren't open to anything that you have to say. If you truly cared about the issue, you'd take Donald's advise and actually do something about it, but that's not your agenda here, and we know that.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:16 am

Cornbread is the humanoid equivalent of a fart joke: not funny, no one likes it but a 5 year-old (or a 5 year-old's political equivalent, the conservative), but it will never die.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:41 am

Yeah but it works. He's a damned well-fed troll.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:57 am

Sometimes it helps to realize everyone else on this forum realizes Cbread is a troll and a fool to boot. Knowing other people already get it diminishes the impetus to rebut whatever part of his nonsense we can decipher.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government