MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Soft Corinthian leather

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Soft Corinthian leather

Postby Adam Powell » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:52 am

OK, it doesn't have to be Corinthian, but I'm in the market for a nice leather sofa.

I'd like it to be at least 76" wide for comfortable afternoon naps. I'm thinking leather because the look should be classic -- it's going in a room with a piano and a fireplace.

I've tried the usual suspects and I can't really tell the difference between the models I'm looking at, which are $1000-$2000.

But the truth is that I know next to nothing about sofas.

What say, Forons?
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Re: Soft Corinthian leather

Postby massimo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:13 pm

I know only two things:
1. Your couch cannot be Corinthian leather, for it exists only in fine Chrysler automobiles of the 70's and 80's.
2. I sweat buckets when I nap on my leather couch. It's been particularly awful this summer. The cloth-wrapped lazy boy is where I prefer to slumber through yet another Brewers disaster.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:28 pm

I got mine at Steinhafels. The sales rep was really helpful and he stuck through my pickyness. I think I paid about $1800 for a couch and chair. I loves me a good nap and I've never had sweating problems.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 pm

I paid $1000 for mine at Rubins on Whitney. It looks great but has just never really satisfied us in the comfort category. It is cold in the winter and yes, can induce sweating in the summer, but it's fine with the AC on. It is about 80" total and 68" on the inside which is exactly my height. Do NOT get a couch that is even an inch shorter than you, for you will never be truly comfortable if you can't fully stretch out.

There is a finer grade of leather, more expensive of course, that is softer and for some unexplainable reason, warmer as well. If you want leather, you should splurge for the better stuff.

Rubins clearance store on Monona Dr in the old Kohls building usually has a nice selection but even their clearance prices can be up there.

Or, you could rip the seats out of an old Cordoba for that shabby-chic look.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:17 pm

I would avoid bonded leather. It's usually leather fibers bound together. It won't wear well like real leather. For napping, I recommend a couch that you can remove the back pillows.

If you willing to forgo leather and willing to drive, the couches at IQ Matics in Schaumburg are awesome. The couches transform into beds that are actually comfortable and have storage. They deliver to Madison for $200. I love the couch I got there. (They do have leather couches, but they are outside your price range.)
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe