MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

"Somebody else did that"

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

"Somebody else did that"

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:27 am

By-Yourself-590.jpg
By-Yourself-590.jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

http://www.conservativedailynews.com/2012/07/lecturing-the-successful/
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:27 am

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:58 am

I see you're buying the spin and clever edits just like the rest of the Foxtards out there. Congrats. How do you feel about the selective editing of this clip and this quote? I assume you've read it in context right? .
There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7809
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 am

"Democrats have tried to defend “you didn’t build it” by suggesting that Obama’s pronouncement was taken out of context. But on Larry Kudlow’s TV show, Romney made the same point we have made here: the context was worse than the quote. To fully appreciate how bad it was, you have to read or watch the entire speech:"
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2012/07/the-context-is-worse-than-the-quote.php
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:27 am

Have one of these, you huge fuckin' crybaby:

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:50 am

Image
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:51 am

Reading comprehension test:
Was Obama referring to the business, or the country's infrastructure when he said "you didn't build that"?
What's insulting is that this even needs to be said. The right wingers have pumped up the pride of these egomaniacs for so long most of them seem to think they live on some island all by themselves and have in no way benefited from our great American society. That's ridiculous. If you read this speech as anything but a reminder that hey, we're all in this together, you're one of two things. Stupid, or dishonest. Which category do you fall into Rich? Did you go to public school? Do you use our roads? Are you protected by our police? our firefighters (who not too long ago were hero's before Republicans decided to make them villains).

The president said it best:
"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

Do you deny that?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7809
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby wack wack » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:55 am

Rich Schultz wrote:"Democrats have tried to defend “you didn’t build it” by suggesting that Obama’s pronouncement was taken out of context. But on Larry Kudlow’s TV show, Romney made the same point we have made here: the context was worse than the quote. To fully appreciate how bad it was, you have to read or watch the entire speech:"
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2012/07/the-context-is-worse-than-the-quote.php


Obama's meaning was perfectly clear, as clear as Romney's when he expressed the exact same sentiment to Olympic athletes a decade ago.

The problem isn't what Obama did or did not say, the problem is that there are actually business people in America who believe they really did do it all on their own. They didn't. Doesn't matter how loudly they whine or cry or bully or brag, no amount of incredulity from the privileged will change the truth: no one did it alone.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:11 am

Rich Schultz wrote:on Larry Kudlow’s TV show


Huh?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:19 am



This is awesome. once again completely distort the real meaning and go after others.

Let's look at the two ball and chains: Taxes and Regulations

What do taxes purchase?
Schools- Educated Workers
Roads - Ways to transport goods
Defense - Can't have two wars without paying for them right?

What about Regulatios?
Clean Air - We aren't having any issues with this are we?
Clean Water - Just ask the Waukesha and Jefferson County residents who had their wells poisoned if they want better regulation or another $4,000 slap on the wrist of the offender.
Banking/Wall St - deregulation didn't cause any problems there, just almost the total collapse of our economic system.

This myth that everything the Government does is bad needs to end.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby minicat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:23 am

wow, that cartoon really is offensive.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4477
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby peripat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:28 am

Yeah, seems to be a constant in this country that we ignore the enormous amount of (unnecessary) welfare to the rich and bitch constantly about the much smaller (necessary) amount that goes to the poor.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:59 am

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby Stomach » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:41 am

HawkHead wrote:Defense - Can't have two wars without paying for them right?


Wellllllll, kinda.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:28 pm

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby DCB » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:48 am

fisticuffs wrote:Do you deny that?

Today's modern conservative denies reality on all fronts. Global warming. Voter fraud. The names of candidates in the Democratic primaries for Congress. Their own employment status. You name it, they deny it.

Recently the Wall Street Journal tried to rewrite recent history, suggesting the government was not really involved in the creation of the internet. Really.

Michael Hiltzik sets the record straight.

So the bottom line is that the Internet as we know it was indeed born as a government project. In fact, without ARPA and Bob Taylor, it could not have come into existence. Private enterprise had no interest in something so visionary and complex, with questionable commercial opportunities. Indeed, the private corporation that then owned monopoly control over America's communications network, AT&T, fought tooth and nail against the ARPANet. Luckily for us, a far-sighted government agency prevailed.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2671
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 am

fisticuffs wrote:I see you're buying the spin and clever edits just like the rest of the Foxtards out there.

I don't know whether or not Rich Schultz is buying that horseshit (and I'm not sure which is worse... slack-jawed stupidity, or willful dishonesty?), but I have zero respect for him and everyone else who's selling it.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4337
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:22 am

Our quality of life is created by a combination of both private and public enterprise. The private side could not exist without the public side (and vice versa). They exist in a balance of power, same as the three parts of government balance one anothers' powers.

Those who think an all-private economy or society would be an improvement need to cite examples, or simply describe how it would work and how it would be an improvement to have unchecked power on the private side.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11541
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:29 am

snoqueen wrote:Our quality of life is created by a combination of both private and public enterprise. The private side could not exist without the public side (and vice versa). They exist in a balance of power, same as the three parts of government balance one anothers' powers.

Those who think an all-private economy or society would be an improvement need to cite examples or just describe how it would work and how it would be an improvement to have unchecked power on the private side.

Just because some regulation inconveniences some particular party does not mean it's wrong for society as a whole. In fact, it means the regulation is working as intended.

Count the logical fallacies in that quote:

Ad hominem?
Straw Man?
Red Herring?
Slippery Slope?
Hasty generalization?
False Dilemma?
Non Sequitur?
Begging The Question?
Appeal to Authority?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Next

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Francis Di Domizio, Ned Flanders and 5 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar