MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 79.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Enough already with the Madison bashing

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Enough already with the Madison bashing

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:33 am

Paul Soglin says the state is penalizing Madison for its success
Soglin said Dane County has only 8.5 percent of the state’s population yet delivers nearly 12 percent of the income and sales tax revenue collected in Wisconsin.

But because of the state’s complicated shared revenue formula, Soglin says Madison gets less back in state aid and ends up sending money off to wealthy Milwaukee suburbs.

“We are not allowed to share in the bounty we have created,” he says.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Enough already with the Madison bashing

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:36 am

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... f887a.html
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:48 am

Meade wrote:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... f887a.html

How is the link you posted a response to the quote you pulled, Meade?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:59 am

It's an example of how a relatively small number of people in Madison and Dane County can end up costing everyone in the state millions of wasted dollars.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 am

It's an example of how a relatively small number of people in Madison and Dane County can end up costing everyone in the state millions of wasted dollars.

Reading comprehension.. is our children learnin' it? Meade isn't. Your link doesn't mention state dollars. It does mention 22 Million in special interest cash given to Walker by out of state businesses.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:10 am

The link mentions private money -- wasted. Public taxpayer dollars wasted just on holding two of the special elections?: http://news.yahoo.com/know-wisconsin-re ... 24406.html
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:12 am

Meade wrote:It's an example of how a relatively small number of people in Madison and Dane County can end up costing everyone in the state millions of wasted dollars.

I'm sorry I don't get it, what part of the article talks about state money being wasted?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:19 am

wack wack wrote:I'm sorry I don't get it, what part of the article talks about state money being wasted?

Think about, Mr. Wack Wack - in 2010, by a majority, the voters of Wisconsin elected a governor. There will be another regularly scheduled election in 2014. For their own narrow, self-centered purposes, Soglin, Cieslewicz, Falk, Parisi, and thousands of other Madisonites and Dane County residents chose to try to overturn that 2010 election. I'll let you do the arithmetic and add up all the private and public dollars that were wasted due to your uprising tantrum.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:23 am

Meade wrote:
wack wack wrote:I'm sorry I don't get it, what part of the article talks about state money being wasted?

Think about, Mr. Wack Wack - in 2010, by a majority, the voters of Wisconsin elected a governor. There will be another regularly scheduled election in 2014. For their own narrow, self-centered purposes, Soglin, Cieslewicz, Falk, Parisi, and thousands of other Madisonites and Dane County residents chose to try to overturn that 2010 election. I'll let you do the arithmetic and add up all the private and public dollars that were wasted due to your uprising tantrum.

Yeah. Don't ask yourself whether the governor is such a poor leader that he managed to piss off over a million of his constituents so much that it generated a recall, or whether he could have accomplished the same goals without doing that.

Just look at the small picture. It's easier. The buck stops someplace else.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:43 am

Meade wrote:Think about, Mr. Wack Wack - in 2010, by a majority, the voters of Wisconsin elected a governor. There will be another regularly scheduled election in 2014. For their own narrow, self-centered purposes, Soglin, Cieslewicz, Falk, Parisi, and thousands of other Madisonites and Dane County residents chose to try to overturn that 2010 election. I'll let you do the arithmetic and add up all the private and public dollars that were wasted due to your uprising tantrum.

Yeah, except for that over 1,000,000 people signed the petitions, and Dane Co. doesn't even have 500,000 people. And I can garauntee you that not all 500,000 in Dane signed it. A giving estimate I would say that 250,000 from Dane signed since you have to account for the fact that we do in fact have some conservatives here, and a good number of that 500k are children. That leaves a good percentage of people from the rest of the state that were involved in this "tantrum" as well.
seemunkyz

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:51 pm

seemunkyz wrote:
Meade wrote:Think about, Mr. Wack Wack - in 2010, by a majority, the voters of Wisconsin elected a governor. There will be another regularly scheduled election in 2014. For their own narrow, self-centered purposes, Soglin, Cieslewicz, Falk, Parisi, and thousands of other Madisonites and Dane County residents chose to try to overturn that 2010 election. I'll let you do the arithmetic and add up all the private and public dollars that were wasted due to your uprising tantrum.

Yeah, except for that over 1,000,000 people signed the petitions, and Dane Co. doesn't even have 500,000 people. And I can garauntee you that not all 500,000 in Dane signed it. A giving estimate I would say that 250,000 from Dane signed since you have to account for the fact that we do in fact have some conservatives here, and a good number of that 500k are children. That leaves a good percentage of people from the rest of the state that were involved in this "tantrum" as well.

Per actual election night results 175,934 people in Dane County voted for Barrett. That number is no where near the ~1,000,000 signatures collected.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Meade wrote:

Scott Walker chose to lie to Wisconsin in more than one major way. The recall was a reaction to his bold lies.

Btw, why do you want to take the power away from the voters, Meade?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:53 pm

How much public money was actually spent on the recall election?
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:54 pm

The only thing to know is the leftist democrats in madison and the urban slave masters in milwaukee want more of the money from the working people, property owners, consumers and renters everywhere else in the state.

Their lifeblood is skimming money from working people elsewhere.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Cornbread wrote:The only thing to know is the leftist democrats in madison and the urban slave masters in milwaukee want more of the money from the working people, property owners, consumers and renters everywhere else in the state.

Their lifeblood is skimming money from working people elsewhere.

But Corny, the article says that the opposite is true. Money is being skimmed from Dane County residents and sent elsewhere.It is what is known as a fact. Since you don't seem to be acquainted with those things (facts), I thought I would take the time to explain it to you.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government