MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Two problematic Soglin statements

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Two problematic Soglin statements

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am

From this story on public markets:

1. "The average office worker on a cold winter's day, they'll call a State Street restaurant and get delivery." Really? Delivery? Certainly on the coldest of winter's days, "average office worker" might not walk five blocks to a public market, but I'm not sure many are calling in for delivery. One of the perks of working downtown is the food and a lot of people go out for lunch down here, even in the winter.

2. "We're hoping in part this will inspire someone to go into one of those abandoned buildings in Meadowood and put in a sit down restaurant." There are no "abandoned buildings" in Meadowood. There are a couple of empty storefronts, one of which used to be sort of a restaurant, in a shopping mall (much like there are at Hilldale) in the Meadowood Shopping Center. Maybe this is splitting hairs, but I'm not sure the term "abandoned" is well used here. Unlike truly abandoned buildings, like you see in Milwaukee and Detroit, the empty storefronts in Meadowood are located between storefronts that host very active local businesses, a library and a community center. The storefronts are for rent. I don't think it would take much for a restaurant to move in. Maybe a subsidy or break on licensing or something. It's a risk, but not nearly the same level of risk that taking over a truly abandoned property would be.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Two problematic Soglin statements

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:51 am

jjoyce wrote:1. "The average office worker on a cold winter's day, they'll call a State Street restaurant and get delivery." Really? Delivery? Certainly on the coldest of winter's days, "average office worker" might not walk five blocks to a public market, but I'm not sure many are calling in for delivery. One of the perks of working downtown is the food and a lot of people go out for lunch down here, even in the winter.

I've worked downtown for 17 years and I have never order delivery. I have walked to get food on the coldest days of the year. I can't recall any of my co-workers getting delivery either.

I think it's asinine not to have the market in or near downtown. I can't imagine the downtown business association wanting it anywhere else either. I think you would completely lose the tourist business if it were on the south or north side. I think the near east side could work also if it were somehow integrated with the new central park, but I too think this would kill tourist traffic to the market.

He also looked at York, PA. which DOES have one downtown and on their east side. He then looks at Philly as a model. How are you going to use a market from a city MUCH larger than Madison as a model.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:26 am

He also told the committee, "I see absolutely no reason there can't be more than one public market in the city."

Letting a hundred [public markets] blossom and a hundred [charter] schools of thought contend is the policy for promoting progress in the arts and the sciences and a flourishing [capitalist] culture in our [city].

Brilliant, Mayor Soglin! This is why I voted for a reformed Maoist over that tired old phony "progressive".
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:50 pm

I love public markets but they are rarely a main attraction for me. They are more of a value-added proposition. I doubt too many tourists would go out of their way just to stop by Madison's mid-sized public market. Some people would, the Dane County Farmer's Market draws in tons of people from outside of the downtown area. Yet, the Farmer's Market is only on Saturdays for a limited number of months a year. It is like the McRib, except with the opposite health results. I don't know if a public market could sustain that kind of business year-round, even downtown.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Lynn Olson » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:41 pm

And I repeat:
This insistence on a public market in Madison is one of the most racist, classist and infuriating ideas! We live in an area with multiple food deserts where folks are shopping at Walgreens and gas stations - Why wouldn't we put that money toward MANY smaller markets around town, as was suggested to Mayor Soglin in Philadelphia.
The idea that a Public Market could do anything more than serve as a tourist attraction and outlet for wealthy vendors is absurd. What we need is more access to healthy foods for EVERYONE in this city, not just the wealthy elite. Come on - let's get real about access to healthy food and not just writing one big check so that folks can feel like they did something meaningful! Why is the private sector left to serve these neighborhoods - what is the City actually doing to solve this crisis?
Lynn Olson

Return to Local Politics & Government