MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Light Drizzle
Collapse Photo Bar

"Somebody else did that"

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: "Somebody else did that"

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Comrade wrote: BUT that does not dimminish from what they have accomplished.

Did he ever say that.

Rich Schultz wrote:solar companies, or expanding the welfare rolls to epic proportions will spur economic growth.

Good to know.

See how that works tool.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:"Was Obama referring to the business, or the country's infrastructure when he said "you didn't build that"?"

"If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

In his own words Obama is referring to the business, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt since he was working without his teleprompter. What difference does it make?

Who do you think paid for those teachers, highways and bridges? The productive or the non productive?

You must not enjoy reading books if you have to ignore the sentence before the sentence you are currently reading.

In all seriousness, is that really what you want to argue about? If the sentence before did or didn't modify the current sentence. If that is all you have you are playing very thin.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Comrade wrote: Moreover, the underlying point was and remains how the successful should contribute more than others because of what (obama) perceives they took or use from the public on their road to sucess.

BUT THEY ALREADY DO THAT! We have a progressive tax system in this country, do we not?

I guess so

The highest income years highlighted above are Romney 2011 ($21.6 million) and Romney 2010 ($20.9 million), on which he paid effective tax rates of 13.9 percent and 15.4 percent -- a much lower rate than most middle-class Americans.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/367231/ ... idents.htm
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:09 pm

"Democratic Voting Enthusiasm Down Sharply""
http://www.gallup.com/poll/156194/Democratic-Voting-Enthusiasm-Down-Sharply-2004-2008.aspx

If parsing pronouns and diagraming sentences don't fire up the base, I don't know what will.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:If parsing pronouns and diagraming sentences don't fire up the base, I don't know what will.

It's called reading you fucking tool. But I'll try one more time. If I said:

"I went to a new restaurant yesterday. It was very good." Then someone quoted me as saying:

"It was very good." You really wouldn't know what I was referring to, would you? These things are often called paragraphs.

See I realize this doesn't really matter to you, you know, the truth and all. You can't think for yourself, only what other people tell you to think. That's fine. I guess it's probably easier that way.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:33 pm

I think you guys are right about what Obama was saying but you're letting Rich et al distract you from the stronger point: Nobody got where they got all by themselves, without the support of any publicly funded resources.

Anyone who thinks Romney (or pick another master of the universe -- it's all the same for our purposes) got so rich all by his own self (never mind what he inherited from Dad) needs to explain how that works. It's a totally unrealistic claim.

Elizabeth Warren started this whole thing (and I know we'll now get an avalanche of shit about Elizabeth Warren, another distraction). She made the absolutely true observation no one builds his own entire wealth on his own, and it looked like it might stick. People started to look around and say, "she's got a good point there." The cons freaked -- no one is supposed to believe that. People are supposed to believe the government is bad, not useful.

And they started demonizing her, started ridiculing anything she said, and kept on with Obama when he expressed a similar sentiment.

All of which doesn't make it any less true.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:36 pm

"I am a rock. I am an island."
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:02 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:Image

Painfully funny.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:03 pm

Ducatista wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:I see you're buying the spin and clever edits just like the rest of the Foxtards out there.

I don't know whether or not Rich Schultz is buying that horseshit (and I'm not sure which is worse... slack-jawed stupidity, or willful dishonesty?), but I have zero respect for him and everyone else who's selling it.

Willful dishonesty is way worse than slack-jawed stupidity IMO, but don't worry, Rich Schultz has plenty of both for sale.

Remember, this is the same Rich Schultz who spent a few days pushing the "Obama's publicist" canard. Rich and Meade like to back each other up to give some semblance of a conversation to their propaganda threads.

Oh yeah, and he'll repeat the same lie over and over until he's blue in the face and basically pretend that you didn't just prove him wrong.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:08 pm

Wow- misdirection. Stage magicians among us.
And the other thing the 'self made' forget or minimize are the workers who got them where they are- the people who toiled in their offices or factories, who produced the ideas that led to success and made it all happen. They are not just a 'variable labor expense' but rather the foundation of success for any business, yet we have never found a way to adequately compensate people for their contributions or give them ownership of their own work. Look at Walmart. 'Owning' is sufficient to keep the heirs super rich and they don't need to lift a finger or have an idea of their own. Man, I'm all for capitalism but it needs a little adjustment.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grimfees » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:"Obama has no patience for 'you didn't build that' attacks because they're kicking his butt...
Barry is breaking a cardinal rule in politics at this point. His push back on this is so obvious, he's letting the opposition see him when he sweats. And he is sweating."
http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivorous_conservative/2012/07/obama-no-patience-for-you-didnt-build-that-attacks-because-theyre-kicking-his-butt.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Aw! Poor little Obama. It’s not his fault he was indoctrinated into Marxism at such a young age that he has no idea how people become successful. We should all feel very sorry for him. It’s not really his fault that he believes that dumping millions billions of taxpayer dollars into failed solar companies, or expanding the welfare rolls to epic proportions will spur economic growth. He has a full plate and doesn’t have time to even meet with his economic advisers. We should all just leave him alone. He has an election to win, dontcha know?"
http://lonelyconservative.com/2012/07/aw-poor-obama-doesnt-like-people-quoting-him/

""Yeah, because it was the ultimate gaffe," syndicated columnist and FOX News contributor Charles Krauthammer said when asked if he thinks the "you didn't build it" line has legs. "It betrayed what he believes. And in context you can see because he elaborates on this. It isn't one sentence that slipped out. I think the RNC, Romney ought to run that ad -- ought to run the whole context, the whole thing, in an endless loop until the end of time or at least until the election, which seems about the same length of time. But it is so damning."

"For Obama to say what I meant is we have to support -- we don't have to get behind success, I would play that and then just show him beginning his remarks with mocking of success and saying, 'You think you're so smart, that it was your intelligence? You think that it was your hard work?' In other words, he was saying, in introducing the whole idea, that if you succeeded, it wasn't your brains or your sweat; it was what? It was government. That's what he believes. It's the essence of his philosophy of society, that it is government-centered. Whereas, the conservative Republican idea essentially is individually-centered. It is a contrast that is absolutely extreme and is very clear. And because it's so revealing, Obama has to pretend he said something else. He didn't. All you have to do is watch the tape, read the transcript."
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/07/25/krauthammer_romney_ought_to_run_you_didnt_build_that_ad_on_an_endless_loop_until_the_end_of_time.html

"It's as if President Obama climbed into a tank, put on his helmet, talked about how his foray into Cambodia was seared in his memory, looked at his watch, misspelled "potato" and pardoned Richard Nixon all in the same day. It's fun to imagine the hand-wringing that must be going on within the White House as staffers try to figure out how to undo the damage their boss has done with his anti-entrepenurial riff. Defining moments in politics are strange beasts. Sometimes they're only recognized in hindsight, while sometimes they throw the train off the tracks before a sentence has been completed. Sometimes their effect can be contained and minimized, while sometimes their effect on the political narrative mestastasizes. This one is very bad for the White House.

These defining moments take hold most devastatingly when they confirm what a large portion of the electorate already believes. Taken alone, it seems unfair that a single moment, an unguarded remark or a slip of the tongue can carry such weight. They're often dismissed as "gotcha" moments, but when voters are able to nod and say, "I knew it," these moments stick and do terrible damage. We have witnessed such a moment. "
http://ricochet.com/main-feed/Defining-Moments

"Poll: Obama approval among business owners drops"
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57480477-503544/poll-obama-approval-among-business-owners-drops/

I think what Rich is trying to say here is that he hates that a negro is in the White House. That's the TLDR version of the above.
grimfees

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:24 pm

snoqueen wrote:Those who think an all-private economy or society would be an improvement need to cite examples, or simply describe how it would work and how it would be an improvement to have unchecked power on the private side.

That seems to be the libertarian argument espoused by Arturo Bandini. I wonder if he can defend it.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:14 pm

HawkHead wrote:Let's look at the two ball and chains: Taxes and Regulations

What do taxes purchase?
Schools- Educated Workers

Just to take one of these:

Nonsense!

We have people who went to schools, graduated and can barely read and write. The college bound HS graduates are probably the best and brightest of any class. Yet a third of them, once they get into college, need remedial help in the most basic stuff. Like reading and math.

They are hardly "educated".

I see this all the time all over the US. I talk to people most every day who are trying to hire and can't find suitable candidates. Not talking about people with skills here. Simply people who can read, write, understand math and so on.

Our public education in the US is so screwed up it is unbelievable.

One reason it is screwed up is because teachers do not have the knowledge to teach. We have teachers who can't do math, read or write. We have schools of education that don't care what their graduates know.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government