MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Kelda Roys negative campaign

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Kelda Roys negative campaign

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:12 pm

Meade wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:And if you don't understand why intellectually dishonest intra-party demagoguery is offensive, not much I can do to help. Yes, I hold all Dem candidates to same standard.

Would you consider it to be intellectually dishonest intra-party demagoguery for one Dem candidate to suggest that the other Dem candidate is too old?

I didn't attack Fred Risser's integrity, his progressivism or his record of service. Roys has done all that against Pocan. At the time the campaign began, Fred was the assistant minority leader, and it appeared his best days were behind him. I ran a respectful campaign based on generational change. If my campaign had been an exercise in demagoguery or ageism, I do believe Gaylord Nelson and Tony Earl would have withdrawn their endorsement of me, which they did not do. Turns out Fred had lots more in the tank, for which I'm very glad. (Most people think the primary, which I was winning until the Dems recaptured the Senate after the Racine special election, helped reignite Fred). Trust me, my relationship with Fred is a lot better than Roys' will ever be with Pocan. So, no -- I don't regard my '96 Senate campaign as intellectually dishonest intra-party demagoguery. Of course, YMMV.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Of course, YMMV.

YMMV?
Stu, please. Creepy enough of you to bring my wife into this discussion - do you now need to insult my dear sweet beloved 86 year-old mother?

Here's the thing: "demagoguery" is the impassioned appeals to the prejudices and emotions of the populace.

Kelda Helen Roys didn't do that when she simply questioned Pocan's integrity, idealism, and record. Those are legitimate questions we should all have of every one of our government representatives.

You, on the other hand, with your pass the torch slogan, suggested that Fred was old and befuddled. You appealed to people's fears and prejudices.

And now, due to 15 years of guilt, you are psychologically projecting your own '96 demagoguery onto Kelda Helen.

Think about it, Stu.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Meade wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:Of course, YMMV.

YMMV?
Stu, please. Creepy enough of you to bring my wife into this discussion - do you now need to insult my dear sweet beloved 86 year-old mother?

Yawn.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Sinced Tammy's congressional seat is all but guaranteed to go to the Dem who wins the primary (is Chad Lee the GOP sacrificial lamb again?), nasty infights between Kelda and Mark won't affect the outcome.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Kelda takes ALEC-tainted money. Details here.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Ouch. What next? Are we going to learn that Koch Brothers' lobbyists have also raised money for Mark Pocan?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Kelda takes ALEC-tainted money. Details here.

So are you now part of Pocan's negative campaign.

FWIW, I don't have a preference in candidates.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:27 pm

I'll probably vote for Pocan and for a number of reasons. He has been my representative in the Wisconsin Legislature and I agree with his politics.

Looks like the entire Madison area's Democratic/liberal establishment is endorsing him.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:36 pm

I didn't see Stu's name on that list, Henry. What gives?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Meade, who's your candidate? Somehow I don't think it's either Roys or Pocan.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:45 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I'll probably vote for Pocan and for a number of reasons. He has been my representative in the Wisconsin Legislature and I agree with his politics.

Looks like the entire Madison area's Democratic/liberal establishment is endorsing him.

I checked out both their websites. Found it interesting that Kelda had this page, which listed her views on many subjects.

http://www.keldaforcongress.com/issues

I went to Pocan's and I couldn't find anything like that.

http://pocanforcongress.com/announcement/

Did I miss something. I think that's a big mistake on the campaigns part. I think they both probably share similar values, but I'd like to get to know their views a bit better and what they feel are important issues to tackle in congress.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Meade, who's your candidate? Somehow I don't think it's either Roys or Pocan.

Henra, I kinda like Kelda.

Now that I know her name uh.

I've seen Pocan up close and personal and I find him - how to put it politely - nettlesome?

Kelda is big supporter of abortion rights and while I find it abhorrent to kill one's defenseless offspring in utero or even ex utero, it is the law of the land that, within some limitations - as long as those limitations do not create an undo burden - it is up to each individual pregnant woman to define Liberty for herself even if liberty means denying life to her defenseless unborn offspring.

Also, as someone who comes from a long line of Disestablishmentarians ( I'm like seventh generation Disestablishmentarian), I like to see the torch passed (if you will) to candidates who aren't so establishment. Pocan is nothing if not establishment. Just look at that list you linked to. Takes about an hour to read through it. Two hours, if you're a slow reader like me.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government