MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Cullen out of Dem caucus

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Cullen out of Dem caucus

Postby Donald » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:37 pm

Cullen is from the old school, but the old school closed down years ago. I liked the old school. People got along reasonably well, and good things got done.

But even I can see that the old school doesn't work if there are only two or three people willing to play by old school rules. They're just going to talk to themselves, and waste time and be patsies for fake bi-partisanship. I can see Miller's point of view.

Cullen is just not suited from a personality standpoint to be in the modern political arena as a partisan leader. I think he's better suited right now to be an independent. And it gives him the power Miller denied him. The danger is that he becomes a patsy for the Republicans, because he's miffed. If he uses his power constructively, maybe he grows the old school way of doing things a bit. Otherwise, he's just compromising for the sake of compromise, and that's the worst thing I can think of.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:39 pm

jjoyce wrote:Guys like Cullen are arguably better off without state party "support."

He learned his lesson on trusting the Machine.
He fled the state as ordered, to avoid doing his job and his reward? No grand appointment to any chairmanship.

SUCKER!!!!
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:14 pm

I like Cullen but I think Donald's comments about his effectiveness in today's Capitol make sense.

The thing in the article that caught my eye was this:

The immediate result of the defection is not known. Democrats took control of the Senate on July 16 by a 17-16 margin and are still moving into new offices.

While I'm sure this has always happened it's the first I've heard of it. What a bunch of shit! So I assume the majority party must get the sweeter offices. This can't be a small project and who's getting paid to do it? Does staff do this instead of their real job? And after November it could possibly all be switched again, correct?

Do the majority senators get to line up for lunch first too? How about stickers, are there any sticker rewards being handed out?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Indeed. Our legislators are such shining examples, no?

Every year, thousands of school kids take field trips to the Capitol where they're met by their local state rep or senator who tells them what a golly gee great thing it is to be a politician and hands them a pamphlet on how a bill becomes a law, which is maybe the most fraudulent document ever printed.

Thankfully, my own son has never been on a school-sponsored trip to the Capitol, likely because of its proximity. But if he were, I would strongly suggest to his teacher that a tour of some labs on campus or even the Babcock Hall ice cream operation would be a much better way to spend a few hours. Folks who work in those places accomplish things.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Nice play by Mark Miller, and thanks to Tim Cullen for sticking with the people who elected him.

And if you think about it, Cullen is now in the position Dale Schultz was last term -- the swing vote for the senate. Not bad, even though we don't yet expect the senate to be in session.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Never mind.

Hilarious.
Cullen will become chairman of the Special Committee on Mining and the Small Business and Venture Capital Committee.

Who got ousted? Anyone know?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government