MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

UW-Madison separating from UW System

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

UW-Madison separating from UW System

Postby Shorty » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:36 am

I thought this idea was killed last year, but apparently UW-Madison is still trying to separate from UW System. Reading these articles says UW-Madison and UW System are developing their own new personnel systems by doing something called HRS redesign.

http://host.madison.com/news/opinion/co ... f887a.html
Redesign of UW human resources system is opportunity all should welcome
"The University of Wisconsin-Madison has been given an unprecedented opportunity to develop a human resources system specifically tailored to the unique needs of a world-class university...The UW System also has been granted the authority to create a new HR system for other UW campuses. Along with System, UW-Madison will present our plan to the Board of Regents later this year, and then to the state Legislature’s Joint Committee on Employment Relations early in 2013. The budget requires both new HR systems be implemented by July 1, 2013. Given the changes’ broad scope, our new system will evolve during the next few years."

http://hrdesign.wisc.edu/
"The 2011-2013 Wisconsin Budget Bill permitted the university to develop its own personnel system. In this case, “system” doesn’t refer to a particular technology, but rather to the structures, processes and policies that shape how we recruit, reward, develop and manage our workforce. Our current system has evolved over time and reflects our relationship to UW System and the state of Wisconsin. While we want to preserve the positive elements of our current approach, we believe that changes could have significant positive results for both employees and for UW-Madison as an institution."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: UW-Madison separating from UW System

Postby Detritus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:34 am

The HR Redesign is not part of the Martin-Walker privatizing plan, if that's what you're thinking. It is part of the response by others in the UW-Madison and the UW System to the Martin-Walker plan. UWM is also doing a redesign separate from the system--the two research universities have quite different needs from the 2-4 year campuses, and all of the UW campuses have different needs from other state agencies. Until now those needs have been patched into an HR structure designed for, say, the DMV, with very poor results. HR Redesign is an attempt to fix that.

UW-Madison is doing this in order to secede from the System.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:10 pm

HRS, on the other hand, is a whole other clusterfuck.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Detritus wrote:The HR Redesign is not part of the Martin-Walker privatizing plan, if that's what you're thinking. It is part of the response by others in the UW-Madison and the UW System to the Martin-Walker plan...UW-Madison is doing this in order to secede from the System.

The response to the Martin-Walker privatizing plan sounds very similar to the Martin-Walker privatizing plan. How is this year's plan different from their plan last year? As you said, UW-Madison is leaving the System which sounds like a bad idea. Doesn't the board of Regents get to vote on this? Didn't they vote it down last year?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Shorty wrote:
Detritus wrote:The HR Redesign is not part of the Martin-Walker privatizing plan, if that's what you're thinking. It is part of the response by others in the UW-Madison and the UW System to the Martin-Walker plan...UW-Madison is doing this in order to secede from the System.

The response to the Martin-Walker privatizing plan sounds very similar to the Martin-Walker privatizing plan. How is this year's plan different from their plan last year? As you said, UW-Madison is leaving the System which sounds like a bad idea. Doesn't the board of Regents get to vote on this? Didn't they vote it down last year?

Sorry, I left out a not: UW-Madison is not doing this in order to secede from System.

Look at it this way: a major part of HR Redesign is dealing with dozens of job titles and classification that do not exist elsewhere but then have to be shoehorned into, among other things, the PeopleSoft crap that Tommy Thompson's DOA forced on every state unit. For example, when Doyle, in his infinite wisdom, required furloughs even for UW personnel on outside grants (the UW-Madison gets far more money from outside grants than it does from the state, incidentally), it took weeks of effort by HR staff across campus to establish 13 different sets of rules for taking and reporting furlough time, as well as the shrinking of benefits etc. tied to appointment percentage. This was necessary to remain in compliance with all the external grants, most especially the federal grants. Moreover, since the UW-Madison shares its HR system with the rest of the campuses, all of this activity had to be coordinated with them, even though they don't run on external grants in the same way, and have much simpler staffing structures. The College of Letters & Science reviewed the amount of time they spent on developing and managing the furlough rules, and determined that the cost in staff time was greater than what the state saved from the furloughs.

Avoiding this kind of bagatelle is the goal of the UW-Madison's HR Redesign. The UW-Madison has the opportunity to do it because of the hoo-haw over the Martin-Walker privatizing scheme, but it in no way is an attempt to have the UW-Madison secede from the System.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:23 pm

But UW-Mad is leaving UW-System as part of this, right? I heard UW-Mad employees who transfer to/from other UW campuses or State Agencies will no longer be able to take their accumulated vacation with them. They will have to start over like they are new employees coming from outside the Univ and State system.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Shorty wrote:But UW-Mad is leaving UW-System as part of this, right? I heard UW-Mad employees who transfer to/from other UW campuses or State Agencies will no longer be able to take their accumulated vacation with them. They will have to start over like they are new employees coming from outside the Univ and State system.

No. I repeat, the UW-Madison is not leaving the UW System. I don't know where you heard about the transfer rule, but even if it's more than a rumor, it has nothing to do with the UW-Madison's HR redesign, which is still very much in the talky-talky stage. Nothing concrete has been done, and even when the plan is finished it will need to be approved by everyone and his brother. In fact, the first very preliminary outline that was released by the workgroup at the end of May caused so much consternation that even that outline is being reworked.

Nothing happens overnight in an organization as large as the UW, and given that the UW-Madison is a) incredibly decentralized, and b) operated through shared governance, nothing really happens overnight.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:40 pm

That's good if UW-Mad is staying in UW-System. That isn't how I interpret my original links but I can't tell for sure. If they create their own HRS personnel system that seems like a major step towards becoming their own entity.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:03 pm

Shorty wrote:That's good if UW-Mad is staying in UW-System. That isn't how I interpret my original links but I can't tell for sure. If they create their own HRS personnel system that seems like a major step towards becoming their own entity.

Gaining full control over their own budget is the ONLY thing that will lead to becoming their own entity. I don't expect to see that--the legislature & board of regents main fight over everything else, but they agree that they don't want to let the UW-Madison run its own budget.

No money no freedom. Ask Arturo--he'll agree with me, I'm sure.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:17 pm

And with no ability to control its own budget, it has little to no hope of remaining competitive or relevant.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Isn't it sill one of the top rated Universities in the USA?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:52 pm

fennel wrote:And with no ability to control its own budget, it has little to no hope of remaining competitive or relevant.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Shorty wrote:Isn't it sill one of the top rated Universities in the USA?
I guess that would depend on the domain. It's certainly highly rated for Life Sciences. The library system probably ranks near the bottom among its peers. And UW certainly has a reputation for losing faculty to other institutions.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:25 pm

fennel wrote:The library system probably ranks near the bottom among its peers.

Not really.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:12 pm

More ratings that are near the bottom of the bucket:

http://www.news.wisc.edu/20432
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government