MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Why You Like Your Phone?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Why You Like Your Phone?

Postby john_titor » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Looking for a personal phone to accompany a potential pants pocket, free data, work phone. I guess I would be interested in why you hate your phone too.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Why You Like Your Phone?

Postby Petro » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:44 pm

I have an iPhone 4S on Verizon.

Pros: Fantastic reception, high-quality hardware, fast CPU & GPU and a reasonable amount of memory.

Apple has a fantastic track record of supporting older hardware with OS updates. (iOS 6 will support everything all the way back to the 3GS.) Apple handles OS updates themselves and the carriers have no say in the matter, nor are they allowed to crud the phones up with their own crapware.

Apple's app store is harder to get apps into, and there's much more expectation that you'll pay for those apps. The flipside is that the number of devices that developers have to optimize their apps to run on is tiny compared to Android, and piracy is much easier (and therefore much more prevalent) on Android - so, you find more pro developers prioritizing for iOS because they simply make money on that platform.

Apple's insurance policy (AppleCare+) is a one-time $99 fee that gives you a transferrable extended warranty (with a fantastic track record of customer satisfaction and the ability to get service at the Apple Store) and also covers up to two incidents of accidental damage. (w/ $50 deductible). It ends up being far cheaper than carrier-sold insurance policies with monthly fees upwards of $10/month.

The resale market on iPhones is fantastic, as well. You can read all sorts of stories on the web of people selling their old iPhone for enough money to pay for the (subsidized) upgrade to the latest model.

The 30-pin dock connector on the iPhone has changed very little in the past decade. There's a huge amount of accessories to charge/play music & video/interface with your car/etc that've been made in that time. Of course, the rumor is that Apple will be releasing a new iPhone w/ a newer, smaller, 19-pin connector on it on 9/12, so who knows how much longer this'll remain a valid point.

Also: you get the additional bonus of somehow infuriating people with the mere presence of your phone. A lot of people really hate Apple and I find it endlessly amusing.

Cons: iPhones are stupidly expensive, unless you're willing to settle for an older model or a used phone. Battery & flash storage is non-user removable/serviceable.

Apple's app store is very much a walled garden and Apple refuses to remain predictable. They can (and have) removed apps from the store with zero notice, often not even explaining why. The actual app approval process is often ridiculously long and difficult, as well. And while there are quite a few good & free applications, they're the exception. Expect to pay for some apps, but they're generally worth it.

You don't have to use iTunes with an iPhone anymore, but most people will probably end up using it at some point. iTunes is terrible, awful, embarrassing garbage that tries to do way too much. Apple needs to break it up into a couple discrete apps.

There's probably more, but I'll stop there. Let me know if you have any questions.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:08 pm

I appreciate the write up Petro, thank you. You allude to it, but thoughts on 5 and all new plugs? PITA?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:33 pm

john_titor wrote:I appreciate the write up Petro, thank you. You allude to it, but thoughts on 5 and all new plugs? PITA?

Eh, it's annoying. I can't say that I'm surprised though, the 30-pin dock connector is -wide-, I'm sure it's been impeding their designs for years already.

As long as the new 19-pin connector ends in USB for charging, it'll be compatible with all the current chargers too. So, at least you won't have a bunch of useless wall warts.

I've got Stockholm syndrome, though. I'll grudgingly buy it without complaint.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:28 pm

I got a droid 4. It has my calendar and it syncs with my work calendar. I can take pitchers and vids with it. And there's a map thing with directions. And an app that tells me when the bus is coming. And I can sext with it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:47 am

I've got a Samsung Galaxy. It's an earlier version and I really like it. It has great screen resolution and the camera and camcorder look take great photos/videos. The 3g service can be slow at times depending on where I'm at or the time of day. It also has great phone reception with not one dropped call. This may have to do with it being US Cellular. I'm looking into getting the Galaxy III when the price comes down. The biggest downfall is battery life, but I'm usually around electricity and can charge it up. I've had no issues with the Android market and have added many apps that I used once cause I thought they looked cool.

rabble wrote:And an app that tells me when the bus is coming.

This is definitely worth downloading.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:18 am

I got a Motorola Electrify late last year and I'm a fan. The Android apps are pretty useful overall and the USCC 3G coverage is adequate, though I have noticed in-building drop offs in service at my apartment and at my parents' house that weren't an issue with my previous Blackberry. It syncs up with my work and personal email, Facebook, Twitter, and shit like that. This is my first phone with a camera and I'm not 100% on board with the quality but it hasn't stopped me from obnoxiously photographing all my beers for Untappd. I also like that it's WiFi capable. With it I can get a lot of work done remotely without having to bring a laptop everywhere.

My main complaint is the short battery life. I was a bit spoiled by my previous two phones but with this one I'm always having to keep a charger on hand. The GPS functions really drain it quickly and when I am in low coverage situations it seems like the battery can drop to nothing in no time flat. Also the touch screen typing leads to a lot more typos in my emails and the auto-correct comes up with some weird shit.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:44 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I've got a Samsung Galaxy. It's an earlier version and I really like it. It has great screen resolution and the camera and camcorder look take great photos/videos. The 3g service can be slow at times depending on where I'm at or the time of day. It also has great phone reception with not one dropped call. This may have to do with it being US Cellular. I'm looking into getting the Galaxy III when the price comes down. The biggest downfall is battery life, but I'm usually around electricity and can charge it up. I've had no issues with the Android market and have added many apps that I used once cause I thought they looked cool.

Second all of this. I also want to stress the high quality of video and sound. The phone is a bit chunky to accomodate the larger screen, but it's worth it in my book (I also went for the slide out keyboard which adds weight.) The spotty 3g isn't much of an issue if you have wi-fi available, which is more and more common. Also, I have not purchased a single app, but have downloaded many. I get plenty of "free" use out of it. I have sprint and also have no issues with coverage and call quality.

You will want multiple chargers, though.
seemunkyz

Postby john_titor » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:45 pm

Excellent. Thank you all for the replies, exactly the stuff I was looking for. I have some questions, but not the time to write them out now.

It will be a while till I get a phone, so don't feel like you missed your opportunity to post!
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:24 pm

I also should add that before my Galaxy I was using a piece of fruit for a phone. That didn't go over so well, especially after it crashed and could not be recovered, nor would or could anyone fix it or replace it (despite insurance). I heard similar things from most everyone that also had one. Stay away from phones named after fruit.
seemunkyz

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:28 pm

That didn't go over so well, especially after it crashed and could not be recovered, nor would or could anyone fix it or replace it (despite insurance). I heard similar things from most everyone that also had one.

Funny, Between the wife and I have had 6 iPhones (you can name it by name) and exactly zero problems.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:46 pm

seemunkyz, if you only talk to people who used to have iPhones, there's a strong chance that everyone will have had a problem with it. That's why they don't still have one. But have you noticed just how many people do?

4 iPhones between my wife and I in our mobile tech lifetimes, and zero problems (except for how easy it can be to accidentally put the phone in accessibility mode where nothing works like you expect it to).
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:41 pm

I have been really happy with my iPhone 3GS. I have had it for over 2.5 years. My SO has a Samsung Galaxy S. It is the most awful phone either of us has ever used. I have been less than happy with my carrier, AT&T. I spend a lot of time west of Madison. There is little to coverage in the western part of the state. His carrier (US Cellular) has great reception in Wisconsin. When his phone is not crashing, he gets great service.

I really like that I can have my problems solved locally. I did have a problem with my phone after having for about year. I just made an appointment at the West Towne Apple Store. They agreed that there was a problem and gave me a new iPhone. They transferred all my settings to the new phone. I haven’t had a problem since. I can upgrade my OS when I want to. His phone manufacturer and carrier decided when you could upgrade.

Most of the apps that I use regularly were free. I like that they regulate who can make apps. There have been numerous security issues with Android apps. Also, many Android phones (especially Verizon) come with a lot of bloatware that can only be removed by rooting it. Verizon also disables a lot of the cool features of Android phones.

I also like the smaller size of the iPhone. It fits well in my pockets and bags. I hear the new one will be bigger. All iPhones regardless of carrier are GSM capable. If you like to travel, you can get foreign sim card to use with your phone. It is much cheaper than using your carrier’s international data plan. You do not need to jailbreak your phone; you only have to unlock it. Some Android phones have this, too.

The things I don’t like about my phone are that it has a proprietary power cord. (I also don’t like that the next version is going to have a different proprietary cord.) It is also not 4G capable. Both of our cameras suck. We often will both take a photo hoping one of us gets a decent one. I also wish it had a memory card so I could store more of my shitty photos.

I will probably get another iPhone this fall. I may look at the Windows 8 phone, too. I will most likely switch to Verizon, too. As long as my phone holds out, I will wait to upgrade until they fix the inevitable bug that new one has.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Verizon has been much better for me than ATT. They are both ginormo awful corporations with terrible customer service who gouge you for every penny but at least with Verizon I get reception.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:53 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:seemunkyz, if you only talk to people who used to have iPhones, there's a strong chance that everyone will have had a problem with it. That's why they don't still have one. But have you noticed just how many people do?

4 iPhones between my wife and I in our mobile tech lifetimes, and zero problems (except for how easy it can be to accidentally put the phone in accessibility mode where nothing works like you expect it to).

I agree with you that most people I've talked to that have had iPhones have very few complaints. It's the same with the Galaxy, I have heard very few complaints. The problem with that is that I was talking about Blackberry. (Sorry, I'm so used to just referrring to them as iThis and iThat that I sometimes forget the company is named apple.)

DO NOT get a Blackberry!
seemunkyz

Next

Return to Catch All