MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Isthmus on Edgewater

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:03 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:and found that a very loose rule of thumb


I would say very loose indeed. Maybe SOME of the rooms will be that expensive, but I am pretty sure a good majority will be much less than this. I would be curious what you think the "average" cost will be. If you think this is the average than you're full of it. For fuck sake, I got a room at a 5 star hotel in New York for something like $250.

green union terrace chair wrote:But now that will all have to be paid for by room charges. So the back of the envelope calculations are:

($98M project cost - $10M condo cost) / 189 rooms / 1000 = $466 average room rate.


Bing, bang, boom. Done. Jeebus, if you think that's how they're going to calculate the rate then I hope you're not planning to open a business anytime soon.

I'm sure the rates will be high, but I venture to guess they'll have a handful of different rates for different rooms for different days. If you've ever booked a hotel that's how it ALWAYS works.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5169
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:06 pm

I bet the hookers who work the Edgewater will be out of this world.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7203
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:14 pm

Huckleby wrote:I bet the hookers who work the Edgewater will be out of this world.


I saw some loose statistic online that said average hooker price is calculated by multiplying room rate times 15.

We'll go with the $400 room and that equals a $6000 hooker. I think they'll also require you wear an ascot and a monocle as dress code.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5169
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:28 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:and found that a very loose rule of thumb


I would say very loose indeed. Maybe SOME of the rooms will be that expensive, but I am pretty sure a good majority will be much less than this. I would be curious what you think the "average" cost will be. If you think this is the average than you're full of it. For fuck sake, I got a room at a 5 star hotel in New York for something like $250.


What is your source besides "I'm pretty sure?" I'm going by this report (page 37): http://www.hvs.com/emails/rushletter/Ho ... rs8-15.pdf

What was the cost, age and number of rooms of the hotel you stayed at in NYC? How do you extrapolate what rates "ought to be" from a single stay?

Stebben84 wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:But now that will all have to be paid for by room charges. So the back of the envelope calculations are:

($98M project cost - $10M condo cost) / 189 rooms / 1000 = $466 average room rate.


Bing, bang, boom. Done. Jeebus, if you think that's how they're going to calculate the rate then I hope you're not planning to open a business anytime soon.

I'm sure the rates will be high, but I venture to guess they'll have a handful of different rates for different rooms for different days. If you've ever booked a hotel that's how it ALWAYS works.

Note the use of the word "average." I also listed conditions that might bring the room rates down. But can you honestly expect an average rate lower than $300/night when the room build costs are at least $500k each?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:28 pm

Just for laughs, I went to the Edgewater's website and submitted a reservation request for a Saturday night, king size bed, one adult, non-smoking.

Description

So Suite Package
General Policy

Early check out available. Minimum age to reserve a room is 21.
Cancellation Policy

Must cancel 24 hours prior to 3PM to avoid a 1 night charge. Must cancel via booking method.
Guarantee Policy

A valid Credit Card is required to confirm your reservation. Accepted forms of payment is cash, certified cashiers check, pre-approved company check, credit cards, debit card, direct bill, money order, personal check with two forms of ID, and travelers check.
Pet Policy

Pets are allowed. Please provide a credit card upon check in as a deposit for any damages which may occur.


The quoted price was $359. I guess $400 wasn't too far off the mark.

<edit>

Checked some other days, and found lower prices. The $359 was the only price quoted on my first stab, must have been the only rooms left. But I also found some higher prices than that. So who knows what the average is...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3968
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:54 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:What is your source besides "I'm pretty sure?" I'm going by this report (page 37): http://www.hvs.com/emails/rushletter/Ho ... rs8-15.pdf


Yes, you pulled out one statistic in a 133 page report.


green union terrace chair wrote: But can you honestly expect an average rate lower than $300/night when the room build costs are at least $500k each?


I think if you look at the rates for a month and average them out, yes. They'll be higher on weekends and during holidays, Badger games, and special events. They'll be lower during off peak hours. It is market driven and even though the building will cost a lot to put up, they're not going to have rooms sit empty by over charging. It may take longer to recoup their investment, but it would take even longer if they priced the rooms out of the market.

Look at the average rates for hotels in madison. Hotel Red was the highest at $189. Do you really think that the Edgewater folks are going to average out their hotel rooms at over $300 dollars when this is what their competition charges? From a business standpoint it wouldn't make any sense. Now, for a Badger homecoming, I'm sure every hotel will milk that, but it's an anomaly and still won't make it average out as high as I think you believe it to.

Michael Patrick wrote:The quoted price was $359. I guess $400 wasn't too far off the mark.


So did I and I got rates as low as $159 on the weekend in less than a weeks time.

https://res.windsurfercrs.com/bbe/page2 ... orp=&iata=

$359 was for the suite and like I already said, there are going to be high rate rooms. It's a fucking suite for Christs sake. This is NOT an average.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5169
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:17 pm

Stebben84 wrote: $359 was for the suite and like I already said, there are going to be high rate rooms. It's a fucking suite for Christs sake. This is NOT an average.


Thank you for reading my entire post.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3968
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:22 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
Stebben84 wrote: $359 was for the suite and like I already said, there are going to be high rate rooms. It's a fucking suite for Christs sake. This is NOT an average.


Thank you for reading my entire post.


Sorry, it was when you said it wasn't far off the mark that got me. I think you edited it after I posted.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5169
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:58 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:Checked some other days, and found lower prices. The $359 was the only price quoted on my first stab, must have been the only rooms left. But I also found some higher prices than that. So who knows what the average is...

Who cares what the average is? That's not what you pay. The "best available rates" on the Edgewater website for one guest on August 28 (a weeknight) are:

$149 queen standard
$189 2 double beds, lakefront
$189 queen lakefront
$189 king lakefront
$209 junior suite
$279 1BR lakefront suite
$369 2BR lakefront suite

Avg price is $225, lowest rate is $76 under that.

Not included in that list: discounts like gov't, AAA, or AARP, or add-ons like your So Suite package which includes champagne, massage, spa gift box, and breakfast voucher. Hey, big spender!

green union terrace chair wrote:At least Madison won't be investing in a hotel full of $400 rooms.

I've no doubt prices will jump with the reno. But "a hotel full of $400 rooms" would be a b-i-g stretch.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4355
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:03 pm

This debate over hotel room rates is riveting.

I'm going back to reading the phone book, I'm up to the J's. Did you know that there are 321 people listed in the Madison area named "Jones" ? I wonder if any are related ..... hmm .... perhaps worth a few investigatory calls.
Last edited by Huckleby on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7203
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:04 pm

Why the dick post?

Wow, and your edit made it even more dickish, though not as sharp. Having a rough afternoon?
Last edited by Ducatista on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4355
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:06 pm

Ducatista wrote:Why the dick post?


why not a dick post? it's alll in good fun, my sweet.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7203
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:08 pm

your edit took an edge off too.

better to stick with your gut dickishness, I guess
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7203
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:08 pm

Fair enough. Dick on...

(But ease off on the "my sweet" stuff, would you? Makes you sound like Ned, or Meade. And that's much worse than dickish.)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4355
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:10 pm

First I'm prohibited from use of the c word, now "my sweet" is boorish.

you're cramping my style.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7203
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Henry Vilas, TheBookPolice and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar