MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

"Sexist" remarks in Pocan/Roys race?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: "Sexist" remarks in Pocan/Roys race?

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:15 am

Stu Levitan wrote:You remember my '96 campaign against Fred, and you don't remember Ron Greer?

An oddly selective memory, LW.

How can you forget Ron Greer. That guy was a hoot.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:17 am

Greer was a strange one.

I think both are capable reps, but I'm not sure this kind of campaign is what the constituents in that district want or deserve. It comes off as win at all costs.

Agreed. Poison politics is fashionable these days and people think it makes them look tough, and they think that's what the voters want to see. I can't figure out if in this instance it's just a style, like a stupid-looking hat people wear a while and then toss aside, or if it goes to the bone.

I think the voters won't buy it, because it doesn't fit the district. Maybe in other places it would work.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:25 am

A former blogger on this site used to say candidates should go negative early. He was chagrined that his candidate for county exec didn't "fight" hard enough during the last election. I guess going negative looks a lot like fighting to some (most?) voters.

Anyway, the reason you go negative is because it works, I guess.

We'll see.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:38 am

jjoyce wrote:Some of Kelda Roys' campaign remarks make it seem like she's running against Ron Greer, not Mark Pocan.

Which campaign remarks?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:46 am

Stu Levitan wrote:You remember my '96 campaign against Fred, and you don't remember Ron Greer?

I didn't remember your '96 losing campaign against Fred Risser, Stu.
I looked it up.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:05 am

jjoyce wrote:A former blogger on this site used to say candidates should go negative early. He was chagrined that his candidate for county exec didn't "fight" hard enough during the last election. I guess going negative looks a lot like fighting to some (most?) voters.

Maybe it does. I think it varies by the group of voters the candidate is trying to attract.

To us out here in Democrat-land in Pocan's district, it looks like needless meanness against a well-regarded candidate that could backfire in the general election and isn't really bringing us usable information. Some of us think a primary is not a "fight," but instead a time to present one's credentials, ideas, and personal qualifications to the voters so they can make their best choice.

I realize it's not like that in every district, or with every sector of the electorate. As you said, we'll see.

Pocan got points from me yesterday when one of his canvassers knocked on my door. To me that shows a candidate has organizational skills and a good support network in the district.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:03 am

from a Cap Times editorial today:
"But it is Roys, not Pocan, who has mounted a major TV ad campaign attacking her rival. Even after Roys went on the attack, Pocan’s only response was a commercial decrying the negative turn the campaign had taken.

Yes, and calling it "character assassination".
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:05 am

Pocan also happens to be from Madison's near east side, the most hardcore Democratic ward in the county, if not the state. I think to win the district, you need to do well in the traditionally liberal Madison areas. If you can't win those wards, then I'm not sure even dominating the rural areas can make up for it. I think Klug might have done it that way, but the district has changed since then and the best candidate Klug ever ran against was Soglin, right?

I met Pocan at the Community Shares banquet last year and people kept walking up to say hello and chat. He had a lot of fans in that group, which is the community organizing infrastructure in this area. I'm sure a lot of them are fans of Roys as well, but he's been a part of what they're doing for a lot longer as a county supervisor before he was elected to the Assembly.

I think that's what he meant with the crawl, walk, run comment. He feels like he's been paying his dues for a long time now.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 am

Don't you think "character assassination" is way over the top?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:16 am

snoqueen wrote:To us out here in Democrat-land in Pocan's district, it looks like needless meanness against a well-regarded candidate that could backfire in the general election...

Remember, who ever wins the Democratic primary faces the mighty Chad Lee.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:23 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Remember, who ever wins the Democratic primary faces the mighty Chad Lee.

Which might be why there's so much negativity in the primary. There's not even a thought that it will hurt the candidate in the general.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:10 pm

An oddly selective memory, LW.

A. Larry wasn't anywhere near here in 1996.
B. Trolls, like MLB relief pitchers, need to have short-to-non-existent memories to ply their trade effectively.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government