MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison oh Madison

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:55 pm

jman111 wrote:Was it his personal responsibility to carry a gun for protection?
Should he have employed bodyguards?
Should he have traveled via armored car?
Maybe the responsible thing would have been to live in a different city. Or state. Or time.

/yawn/
Am I trying hard enough yet?

Stebben's post is an intelligent reply.

And I don't think he had to try too hard to write it.

You could learn something from it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:01 pm

D-Man would say he was a soft target.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:09 pm

I guess I find it appalling that even Monte Ball can't walk, unmolested, through the heart of campus...even at 2:15am. You know, just because he was out with friends doesn't mean he was drinking. Believe it or not, even in this drunken town, there are plenty of folks who go out with friends for the social aspect and not the alcohol. Usually muggers pick out a weak target. Ball isn't exactly tiny, which leads me to believe this was a gang initiation or something of the sort. I hope they catch the little pussies. This shit doesn't happen on most college campuses (drunken frat boys notwithstanding).
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:Montee Ball has the same right as anyone else to walk around Madison streets unmolested, regardless of the hour and regardless of where he'd been or was going.

:lol: Really, I do love reading you leftists.
I think what you are trying to say is, "we have the RIGHT to be victims, but if we become victims, well then, ah, er.....uh....."

Not a fan of berettas, but I guess ol muscular NCAA star running back would be more intimidating that a woman....

But then again, if a woman gets raped in her home/apt, you can just say that she had the "right" not to be raped, no?
I'm sure the raped woman will take great solace in your consideration of her right.....
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:28 pm

Is it just me or was the previous post complete nonsense?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:05 am

It's like reading something that's been run through Google Translate a number of times. Or maybe it's akin to a numbers station, sending coded messages to operatives in East Berlin. Either way, I can't accept the simple answer of a simpleton at the keys -- there's something else at play.

Richard Dreyfuss wrote:This is important. This MEANS something.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:05 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:No offense against Ball personally, but it shouldn't take until the victim is one of our precious local athletes for this problem to get more attention.

Correct, but if this is what does the trick, are you going to complain that people are giving the problem its due attention just because you don't have any personal interest in a "precious local athlete"?

Nope. Just pointing out one of our societies odd measures of who matters more.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:08 am

narcoleptish wrote:Nope. Just pointing out one of our societies odd measures of who matters more.

Okay, but I think we know how much Our Society values athletes, actors, and other performers. Meanwhile there is an actual human being who got his ass kicked; maybe now's not the time to complain about how much people like the guy?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:54 am

bdog wrote:And there you have IT, folks. The auto-reply to the legitmate question of why someone isn't making better choices: compare it to rape. Try just a little harder please. Yawn.

I shall truly try to emulate the hard work and intelligence that produce this type of response. Oh, so much to learn....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:58 am

bdog wrote:A little common sense and personal responsibility is all I, and the MPD, are asking for.

Do you have any thoughtful, intelligent suggestions for increasing Mr. Ball's personal responsibility? Perhaps he'd like to learn, as well.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 am

It's an interesting question: How could this assault have been prevented?

Apparently the idea that people on the street might be carrying concealed weapons was not a deterrent. Neither was the presence of several witnesses nearby. Bodyguards? A phalanx of cops?

It's like preventing internet heckling. Do you respond to each attempt, hoping that you're helping and not hurting by making your disapproval clear on each and every case?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:22 am

Interesting topic.

The people that are hinting that Ball is responsible for getting attacked because of his conduct are ridiculous. Walking home downtown at bar time in Madison is a common occurance any night of the week. I suggest going to the bars on State Street this summer until 2am and see the number of people out at that time. Should we close all business in Madison down at sunset because it may be more dangerous when it is dark?

For Montee Ball, you are a Heisman Trophy contender this fall. The amount of money you will make in your first NFL contract is staggering. Hanging out with your friends until bartime, even if you aren't drinking, isn't in the best interest of your football career. Everyone has to make choices/sacrifices in their life for their career. Don't turn into the next Brent Moss or Sam Okey by making bad choices.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:26 am

HawkHead wrote: Hanging out with your friends until bartime, even if you aren't drinking, isn't in the best interest of your football career.

Why?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:28 am

jjoyce wrote:Apparently the idea that people on the street might be carrying concealed weapons was not a deterrent. Neither was the presence of several witnesses nearby. Bodyguards? A phalanx of cops?

Yes, obviously the idea that people on the street might be carrying was not enough of a deterrent in Ball's case.

Common sense says that if you're going to be out on the streets of Madison at 2 am - for your own self defense and those you are with - you should be sober, have situational awareness, and conceal carry.

Either that or hire bodyguards and a phalanx of cops.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:31 am

Meade wrote:Common sense says that if you're going to be out on the streets of Madison at 2 am - for your own self defense and those you are with - you should be sober, have situational awareness, and conceal carry.

Serious question: what, in your opinion, would the better outcome be if Ball had been carrying? How might it play out? Be specific.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines