MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison oh Madison

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby Cornbread » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:28 pm

wack wack wrote:Montee Ball would mot be able to draw and kill 5 guys in the midst of 5-1 hand-to-hand comment. Steven Segal, maybe. Not Montee Ball.

Always amusing when people put themselves in full action figure of an event they know nothing about.
The best defensive weapon is the brain (and related, awareness).

I'd bet that a 110lb armed woman wouldn't have gotten jumped by these guys. Hmmm.....I wonder why......
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:41 pm

jjoyce wrote: When I was in school here, women were the primary drivers of this kind of pressure and got funding for safe ride, emergency phones and lighting around campus because the conventional wisdom at the time was that men were pretty safe, while women were not.

Jason makes an excellent point. The solution to the problem is women. Here's an idea: rather than paying more cops overtime to make Madison's bars and streets safe for guys like Montee Ball, hire women - by the thousands - to populate the bars and streets of Madison at 2:15 a.m. seven days a week. Why? To protect guys (victims) like Montee Ball.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:16 pm

fennel wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I can't even remember why I picked it. It was early in 2004, more than eight years ago, and whatever I had in mind at the time is long forgotten.

It was wintertime, so snow or shoveling snow might have had something to do with it. I'm guessing, though.
What? Is it even possible a member with clear-headed commentary –– commentary that doesn't reflexively hew to anybody's particular cheer book –– was not implanted by a well-funded partisan political corporation? Along with specific instructions for choosing usernames?

How could that be?

Shows how our level of public discourse has deteriorated in the last eight years, I guess.

And this bar-time mayhem shows how much public safety has deteriorated in the last 40 years, because in the 70s I used to drink in the 600 block of University Avenue almost every night, then walk home at bar time, by myself, clear to Baldwin Street. I did it almost every night in the summer, nothing ever happened, and nobody ever questioned my sanity. Everyone else walked home too -- it wasn't just me.

Those were the days.

I wasn't going to bring it up because it just sounds antique, but it's sad to think how things have gone to hell, and how much relaxation and fun young people will never experience today.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:30 pm

That's what I'm saying, sno. What would it take to get you back down there in the 600 block every night? Come on. We'll pay you good taxpayer money. You and a few thousand of your sisters.

Protect Montee Ball! You are our last hope.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:46 pm

Meade wrote:The solution to the problem is women.

That wasn't my point.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:01 am

Finding bars packed with women may not be the point but it's always been my goal. :)
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:13 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Nope. Just pointing out one of our societies odd measures of who matters more.

Okay, but I think we know how much Our Society values athletes, actors, and other performers. Meanwhile there is an actual human being who got his ass kicked; maybe now's not the time to complain about how much people like the guy?

It's a discussion forum and I'm discussing the fact that lots of human beings have been ass kicked in this very same manner, in Madison, in the last few years, but now that it has happened to a well known athlete it will get a lot more attention, at least initially. Like Jason said, if Montee Ball wasn't a UW football star this story would have been nothing more than an incident report with no witness accounts.

When celebrity possibly benefits the common good, which could be the case here, no one notices that the celebrity is being treated like they're more important. But if Montee Ball were to receive a questionable passing grade or perhaps some free shoes from the Shoe Box...

It's just a discussion point, I'm not spewing venom for the guy. He sounds like a good kid.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:01 am

I don't have a problem with celebrities being treated like they're more important. They ARE more important. That's why they're celebrities.

I want to get back to Jason's point which is, if I understand it correctly, that bar goers and late night stayer outers need to organize and bring pressure to bear on our elected officials to provide police protection and bodyguards for each and every citizen who wishes to assert his inalienable right to go downtown, get himself pickled, and then crawl home through the streets without fear of being embarrassed, victimized, or being dropped by his health insurance company.

Led by Snoqueen, Tammy Baldwin, faculty from the Women's Studies Department, and thousands of women who won similar battles back in the 70's and 80's, this important (though not as important as Montee Ball) special class of society, through organization and political activism, could hopefully one day... TAKE BACK THE NIGHT.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:19 am

It's just a discussion point, I'm not spewing venom for the guy. He sounds like a good kid.

It would be hard to be so young and have the public and the media evaluating your every move. Most people wouldn't be ready for such scrutiny at age 35, let alone 20. And he does sound like a good kid. Some people make it through their college years more safely than others, athletes or not. It's a time when a lot of things can go wrong.

Now the police are saying some "precipitating event" happened before the attack, though they aren't saying what (and that's a totally opaque phrase). It wasn't necessarily the same night as his injury, though.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 963f4.html

I just hope the concussion doesn't come back to bite him.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:22 am

I read that as well. If it is indeed the case then that WAS a bad choice on his part. This is especially true if he knew who these people were and lied to the police. We don't have the facts yet, but that could be a great way to fuck up your career.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:30 am

o·paque   [oh-peyk] Show IPA adjective, noun, verb, o·paqued, o·paqu·ing.
adjective
not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.
not transmitting radiation, sound, heat, etc.
not shining or bright; dark; dull.
hard to understand; not clear or lucid; obscure: The problem remains opaque despite explanations.
dull, stupid, or unintelligent.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cloudy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Doesn't anybody find it hard to believe that Montee would be randomly jumped by these punks? They pick a guy 5' 11" and 215lbs. of that looks like he could run through a brick wall?
cloudy
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Binge drinking is big in Madison. It isn't uncommon here for attackers to target victims who are drunk.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:26 pm

bdog wrote:o·paque
dull, stupid, or unintelligent.

Don't be so hard on yourself.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:26 pm

We're all trying to find a way to rationalize why this wouldn't happen to us.

- It wouldn't happen to me because I would have kept my wits about me

- It wouldn't happen to me because I would have been with friends

- It wouldn't happen to me because I have an imposing physical presence

Ball had all these on his side (first one is arguable) and still he got beat up.

So we're all screwed right? Nope, we just need to find another reason it would not have happened to us. Stay tuned...
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines