MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison oh Madison

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
bdog wrote:o·paque
...
dull, stupid, or unintelligent.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Don't you either Henry for not knowing what "miscegenation" meant but using it in a post title anyway.

This too shall pass.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3255
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby Detritus » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:31 pm

bdog wrote:We're all trying to find a way to rationalize why this wouldn't happen to us.

The justification for Concealed Carry in a nutshell.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Detritus wrote:
bdog wrote:We're all trying to find a way to rationalize why this wouldn't happen to us.

The justification for Concealed Carry in a nutshell.

How so? I, and most people, look to behavior issues first and foremost. This incident seems to be going down a path that indicates some prior conflict led to it. So there you go...this would not happen to me because I avoid conflict.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3255
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby Detritus » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:39 pm

bdog wrote:
Detritus wrote:
bdog wrote:We're all trying to find a way to rationalize why this wouldn't happen to us.

The justification for Concealed Carry in a nutshell.

How so? I, and most people, look to behavior issues first and foremost. This incident seems to be going down a path that indicates some prior conflict led to it. So there you go...this would not happen to me because I avoid conflict.

"Since I carry, this will not happen to me."
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Detritus wrote:"Since I carry, this will not happen to me."


No: "Since this could happen to anyone, I carry."

Anyone who thinks it can't happen to them lives in a state of denial. But the stories are filled with people who said "I never thought this would happen to me." You're free to believe that right up to the moment something bad happens, but believing it won't change the reality.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Dangerousman wrote:No: "Since this could happen to anyone, I carry."


I've mentioned it before, but me and two friends were robbed at knife point in Chicago a while back. The guy had a knife touching my friends side before we even knew they were going to rob us. Had one of us pulled out a gun, he very well could have stabbed my friend. They got our money, we called the cops, nobody was hurt, and two days later they were arrested. Moral of the story:

"Since I got robbed, I still choose not to carry"
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4863
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:54 pm

So Monte is walking with two friends. Suppose Monte has a gun. Five guys jump him. Monte has two friends. Better odds if the two friends also have guns. What if all five of the jumpers have guns? So now we have three guns against five guns. What a scenario!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6372
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Had one of us pulled out a gun, he very well could have stabbed my friend. ...

"Since I got robbed, I still choose not to carry"


And the fact that you're either missing or choosing to conveniently ignore: He could have very well stabbed your friend that night too. You're just lucky that he didn't.

Oh, and since it happened in Illinois-- Chicago no less-- it's not like you would have had the option of legally carrying a gun. There you would have been considered a criminal just as much as the robbers.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Bwis53 wrote:So Monte is walking with two friends. Suppose Monte has a gun. Five guys jump him. Monte has two friends. Better odds if the two friends also have guns. What if all five of the jumpers have guns? So now we have three guns against five guns. What a scenario!


Nobody claims a gun fight is a good scenario. But if there were 7 guns present, when the shooting starts you don't want to be person #8. It's a lot worse than showing up at a funeral believing that "everybody" was going to wear a clown suit. To die of embarrassment is a figure of speech. To die from a bullet is not.

I've yet to have anyone show reason to believe that when bad guys decide to start shooting at you, stabbing you, and stomping the shit of of you, you're better off unarmed. The high and mighty moral road isn't going to deflect bullets and criminals and crazies aren't often known for their acts of good will. If you think they'll take your money and leave you alone, by all means, give them your money. But what happens when they want more than your money? What happens if they want your money, and oh, your nine year old daughter too?

In Montee's case, it doesn't appear robbery was the motive. They wanted to stomp his ass. I don't believe that offering his wallet was going to change their plan for an ass whooping.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:45 pm

Dman in what scenario does a gun help? Seems like in most of these cases the perps begin the encounter by asking for a cigarette, then proceed to a beat down a second later. The only time I've heard this work out well for the victim was the Bernie Goetz case.

But Bernie started shooting before any harm was done to him.

What if they really are just asking for a cigarette?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3255
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Dangerousman wrote: To die of embarrassment is a figure of speech. To die from a bullet is not.

Good fucking lord. Are you listening to yourself?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6207
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby Cornbread » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:33 pm

Dangerousman wrote:No: "Since this could happen to anyone, I carry."

Anyone who thinks it can't happen to them lives in a state of denial. But the stories are filled with people who said "I never thought this would happen to me."


The ones I've heard were along the lines of, "So this is how I'm going to die...who will take care of my children?...will anyone find me?" These were the people further more into the process of it all, obviously.

I don't think anyone going out to a midnight movie thought, "Hmm, tonight there'll be some deranged college dropout that will want to come in and shoot as many people as he can".*

But then again, one of the people killed was at a canadian mall a month prior where there was another nutbag with a gun, killing people.
Hey, doesn't canada have really really restrictive gun control laws?

She should have known better and been better prepared.
Oh well, she died.

*but due to all the young gang kids shooting at each other on weekends, the mall by that theater (aurora mall) has been dying because normal people stopped going there.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Various places

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:33 pm

rabble wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: To die of embarrassment is a figure of speech. To die from a bullet is not.

Good fucking lord. Are you listening to yourself?


And Jesus H. Fucking Christ, another pointless post from you?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby rabble » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:23 am

Dangerousman wrote:
rabble wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: To die of embarrassment is a figure of speech. To die from a bullet is not.

Good fucking lord. Are you listening to yourself?


And Jesus H. Fucking Christ, another pointless post from you?

I'm sorry. I should have said "Thanks Captain Obvious, no one understood what hyperbole was till you explained the difference."

Could you spout some more platitudes? Cause they really help to prove whatever the hell point you're trying to make. At least, I think you're trying to make a point other than "I like guns."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6207
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby bdog » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:13 am

Dangerousman wrote:
rabble wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: To die of embarrassment is a figure of speech. To die from a bullet is not.

Good fucking lord. Are you listening to yourself?


And Jesus H. Fucking Christ, another pointless post from you?

Shit on a popsicle virgin mary, would you two get a room?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3255
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar